• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to SJPDP

dena

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2023
I’ll be landing in Madrid around 3:30 PM. Is it smarter to stay the night in Madrid and leave in the morning to SJPDP? Or just head straight there? I was looking at buses to Pamplona then bus from Pamplona to Sjpdp.
What would be the cheapest, smartest, easiest way to go about getting there? Any advice or recs appreciated! I was thinking also a train to Pamplona then bus to st Jean pied de port could also be an option

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A friend and I are flying to Madrid late on Sunday night. We will take an early Monday morning flight to San Sebastian airport (which is really just outside Irun). Walk the 5km to Hendaye station and take trains to Bayonne and then SJPDP. Should be there by lunchtime. There is only one bus per day from Pamplona to SJPDP at 12 noon. Miss that and it is a taxi or a 24 hour wait. We booked the flight months ago and it was quite a bit cheaper than the bus from Madrid to Pamplona.

Last edited:
I always spend the night in Madrid to help with the jet lag coming from the US. There is an early train (7:30 or something) which will get you to Pamplona with plenty of time the next day to walk or taxi to the bus station for the noon bus to St Jean. Alternately, you can take a late train or bus to Pamplona from Madrid on your arrival day, stay overnight there, and then take the noon bus to St Jean. At some point in the fall the bus to St. Jean stops running, but I am not sure when that happens and you did not say when you were traveling. At that point you would need to take a taxi from Pamplona.

You can also begin your Camino from Pamplona which is also a nice beginning point and it avoids getting to a tiny town in France.

Or you could explore the route that @Bradypus mentioned.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Or you could explore the route that @Bradypus mentioned.
That didn't go quite according to plan. The landing at San Sebastian was aborted when we were almost on the runway because of atrocious weather. Diverted to Bilbao instead then taken by bus to San Sebastian. So running about 5 hours late. If we had landed as expected it should have been pretty smooth! :)

I think it likely that you won't make it to Pamplona in time to catch the bus to St Jean. That means spending a night in Pamplona, taking or sharing a cab to St Jean, or starting your camino from Pamplona. Are you okay with spending a night in Madrid and another in Pamplona? If you skip Madrid the money you save would offset some of the cost of a taxi. You have a decent chance of finding other pilgrims on the train or at the Pamplona station to share cab fare.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We started three of our four CF in Madrid; the other one we started in Barcelona. We really enjoy Madrid, so take the Metro to Sol, located in the old town. We enjoy spending time in Plaza Mayor. There is a nearby El Corte Ingles where we stock up on food and snacks. Spending a night in Madrid helps us get over jet lag. We then take the Metro to the Atocha train station and catch a train to Pamplona (easy to purchase train tickets on line before our trip). Then we enjoy almost a full day in Pamplona. It's nice to relax there before starting our camino. For our first three trips, we booked bus tickets to St Jean. The bus leaves at 10:00 am and arrives in St Jean 90 minutes later. During our 2021 camino, we were unable to purchase tickets. Not sure if this was Covid related. St Jean is a wonderful town and we enjoy spending a day there before beginning our camino. Spending one night each in Madrid, Pamplona and St Jean helps us get over jet lag and puts us in a relaxed mood before starting our camino. Bob

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back