• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Man arrested for sexual assault on a peregrina in Nájera

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mrs HtD reminds me on a daily basis that my perception of the world and some aspects of risk are innately different to that of a female, so I’ll confine myself to looking for a tiny silver lining in this reprehensible incident.

Thanks to the victim having the courage to file a report; that’s another one off the streets with any luck.

Well done, this victim. She reported straight away and the perpetrator was arrested in a few hours. Also, well done, the police handled it very well. There have been cases that victims weren't taken seriously.
Everyone has to take risks sometimes and which risks to choose? Should I trust what the bar man say? you don't know him either. Should I trust the taxi driver? I am reluctant to take a taxi in unknown place at night.
I hope she hasn't been put off by it and can carry on Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As a woman, I’m not understanding how giving future pilgrams ( whether male or female) safety advice is victim blaming. It is NEVER anyone’s fault if they are assaulted no matter the circumstances. Sexual assault is not about sex it about power. It perpetrated by both men and women who desire to overpower another’s will. That being said as a community we have a responsibility to advise our fellow pilgrims on the safest possible behaviors to minimize their risk at being taken advantage of whether sexually, emotionally or financially. Misplaced trust is just that misplaced. I hope this women reclaims her path and is able to find healing, solace and justice.

I don’t plan to engage in the discussion about the replies in this thread although I largely share the opinion of some posters and made it clear by adding emojis. I was surprised to see the photos in this local news article. I then discovered that both text and photos are taken from a public communication on the website of the Guardia Civil themselves, i.e. a press release. My comment may not be helpful to anyone but I found this worth mentioning.

https://www.guardiacivil.es/es/prensa/noticias/8776.html

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Perhaps reading the publication will help part of this discussion.

The German peregrina was lost and asked directions from a passer-by. He accompanied her for a short while and offered her a stay in his home.

Classic grooming IMO. Never underestimate that people outside the Camino bubble may have a completely different opinion of pilgrims and peregrinas.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sometimes, walking away from a disagreement is the best way to avoid unpleasantry. I was only trying to help, but I know that everyone has an opinion.

I decided, on balance, that discretion was the better part of arguing in this case.

Trecile - thanks for cleaning up the thread.

Tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was sexually assaulted at a fysio office while walking the camino portugués 1.5 years ago. I am continuing my legal case in hopes that this person doesn’t do it again. The trial is in Feb.

I learned a few months ago another peregrina fell victim- hopefully the legal system will help put a stop. My support to our fellow peregrina. I am here for her. Courage and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Brava peregrina for fighting and screaming and kicking and clawing your way out of a very nightmarish situation. And to immediately report such a heinous crime. You are very strong and brave, Well Done!! Too bad we have to think about these kinds of crimes happening against us on a regular basis. Always having to be very aware of our surroundings, looking over our shoulders. From the beginning of time here on earth, prey, we (women, men too, rarely, but sometimes) are prey.
When will this sort of thing end? :( :mad:
Never, it will never end. :(:mad: Still we have hope for a world without having to live with such precautions.

I had to explain myself to the Guardia Civil recently when two of them came to the albergue where I was spending the night and inquired at length about an incident which had happened to me earlier in the day. I had been walking along what I thought was a pilgrim route (a walkable path a few metres from a nearby road). The path ended at a steep ditch. I did not want to retrace my route and chose to try to find a place to cross the water-filled ditch. This proved to be much more difficult than I had anticipated, as the opposite side of the ditch was steep and slippery to climb. Finally I crawled out of the ditch, totally soaked, and continued my walk along the road. Eventually, a driver stopped and offered to drive me to town, where he dropped me off at the albergue. Soon after, two members of the Guardia Civil appeared at my albergue and questioned me at length about what had happened. They never indicated what they had heard or why they held some suspicion about my situation. Eventually, they gave up and left. I have never asked for a ride, except in taxis, but I consider that my situation warranted accepting the kindness of a stranger.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had to explain myself to the Guardia Civil recently when two of them came to the albergue where I was spending the night and inquired at length about an incident which had happened to me earlier in the day. I had been walking along what I thought was a pilgrim route (a walkable path a few metres from a nearby road). The path ended at a steep ditch. I did not want to retrace my route and chose to try to find a place to cross the water-filled ditch. This proved to be much more difficult than I had anticipated, as the opposite side of the ditch was steep and slippery to climb. Finally I crawled out of the ditch, totally soaked, and continued my walk along the road. Eventually, a driver stopped and offered to drive me to town, where he dropped me off at the albergue. Soon after, two members of the Guardia Civil appeared at my albergue and questioned me at length about what had happened. They never indicated what they had heard or why they held some suspicion about my situation. Eventually, they gave up and left. I have never asked for a ride, except in taxis, but I consider that my situation warranted accepting the kindness of a stranger.
This is speculative but the driver himself may have reported you to the Guardia Civil (GC) considering your condition when he picked you up. He may have thought something worse happened to you and was concerned.
In our recent Camino on the CF, we were always happy whenever we saw a GC car parked at the trailhead even very early in the morning when it was still dark, cold, and rainy. This happened numerous times. I think it shows how seriously they take care of security for the peregrinos. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back