A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Live - Camino Francés March Camino... Surprises and Delights

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (5), Portuguese, Norte, Primitivo(2), Aragones, Finisterre/Muxia (3), Camino del Rey
Pamplona to Burgos. I should be two stages back, but my much loved boots turned my right back heel to pulp, so had to bus forward from Belorado to Burgos. Bummer since the Belorado to San Juan de Ortega stage is one favs although the walk into Burgos next day, not so much.

First thing after getting a hotel for a couple of nights (the very good Entrearcos for 30 euro a night and steps to the cathedral) was to make my way to Decathalon for new boots. Nice surprise is the free bus every half hour from the Teatro Principal to the Hipercor which is beside Decathalon.

On my Camino so far I've been surprised by how many albergues and bars are still closed especially in the in between towns and villages. Many that are marked open year round (eg Azofra) or the Puente in Najera we're still shuttered. Albergues like the Muni on Navarette that were supposed to be open March 1st also closed. I'm sure this will all change by March 15th.

The Santo Domingo albergue continues to live up to it's reputation as the "house of snore". The new part of the albergue is still closed, so 16 pilgrims were in the tight quarters of the slanted eaves of the bunkroom which seals in all the snores in their glory. The only place I recall providing the same glorious acoustics was the "big barn" at Roncesville.

Weather has also been a surprise. Every day online weather reports show rain, but so far only a few drops during the day and mixed sun/clouds. Today was the first overcast day, with some short spitting

The Santo Domingo to Belorado stage was its typical windy best. It's only 22km but feels like 32km with the everpresent 30-40km/hr winds in your face. Would have loved some coffee stops, but in places like Redicilla, Viloria, Granon all was shuttered (although albergue was open).

The beautiful old stone house Casa Verdeancho is one of my usual luxury stays in Belorado, but it too was closed. I always had heard good things about El Corro Albergue and is didn't disappoint.

Although I love the quiet path without a bed race in sight, I'm not sure if I'd do a March 1 start again. One year I started March 15 and I think the is the perfect time.

Some ankle health days, the best bacon and eggs breakfast at Viva la Pepa (love this place!) and then on to the meseta.

Last edited:

Advertisment

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
You are a bit early, but it is hard to figure the best time.

Buen Camino!

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
I LOVE walking in early March but my work schedule no longer allows me to do that.
The meseta coming up...wonderful. May it be a joy, @dgallen, no matter what weather gets thrown at you! It sounds like so far so good.
Buen Camino!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Pamplona to Burgos. I should be two stages back, but my much loved boots turned my right back heel to pulp, so had to bus forward from Belorado to Burgos. Bummer since the Belorado to San Juan de Ortega stage is one favs although the walk into Burgos next day, not so much.

First thing after getting a hotel for a couple of nights (the very good Entrearcos for 30 euro a night and steps to the cathedral) was to make my way to Decathalon for new boots. Nice surprise is the free bus every half hour from the Teatro Principal to the Hipercor which is beside Decathalon.

On my Camino so far I've been surprised by how many albergues and bars are still closed especially in the in between towns and villages. Many that are marked open year round (eg Azofra) or the Puente in Najera we're still shuttered. Albergues like the Muni on Navarette that were supposed to be open March 1st also closed. I'm sure this will all change by March 15th.

The Santo Domingo albergue continues to live up to it's reputation as the "house of snore". The new part of the albergue is still closed, so 16 pilgrims were in the tight quarters of the slanted eaves of the bunkroom which seals in all the snores in their glory. The only place I recall providing the same glorious acoustics was the "big barn" at Roncesville.

Weather has also been a surprise. Every day online weather reports show rain, but so far only a few drops during the day and mixed sun/clouds. Today was the first overcast day, with some short spitting

The Santo Domingo to Belorado stage was its typical windy best. It's only 22km but feels like 32km with the everpresent 30-40km/hr winds in your face. Would have loved some coffee stops, but in places like Redicilla, Viloria, Granon all was shuttered (although albergue was open).

The beautiful old stone house Casa Verdeancho is one of my usual luxury stays in Belorado, but it too was closed. I always had heard good things about El Corro Albergue and is didn't disappoint.

Although I love the quiet path without a bed race in sight, I'm not sure if I'd do a March 1 start again. One year I started March 15 and I think the is the perfect time.

Some ankle health days, the best bacon and eggs breakfast at Viva la Pepa (love this place!) and then on to the meseta.
Thank you - I leave Logroño tomorrow with heel problems as well - - suz

Trude

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francais 2013 Finnestere, Muxia 2013, 2017
Norte 2014, Francais, 2015, 2016, VDLP 2017

Nothing like Breakfast at Viva La Pepa........

Advertisment

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 84 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.5%
  • June