• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Surprising myself!

Time of past OR future Camino
July-August 2023 Camino Frances
As I was walking the Camino Frances this past summer, I was thinking a lot "this is hard and I don 't think I will ever need to do this again!". Well now that I've been home for a month, I can't stop thinking about it! I'm already itching to do another one! I guess I shouldn't be surprised...it was the same way when I did the Grand Canyon. First I thought once was enough but now I've hiked up and down it 3 times. Some places just call to you even when they are challenging!

But another camino will have to wait. Right now I am enjoying all the new things my toddler grandson learned while I was away!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As I was walking the Camino Frances this past summer, I was thinking a lot "this is hard and I don 't think I will ever need to do this again!". Well now that I've been home for a month, I can't stop thinking about it! I'm already itching to do another one! I guess I shouldn't be surprised...it was the same way when I did the Grand Canyon. First I thought once was enough but now I've hiked up and down it 3 times. Some places just call to you even when they are challenging!

But another camino will have to wait. Right now I am enjoying all the new things my toddler grandson learned while I was away!
It's got you! I swore in 2015 I was never doing a second one, 8 years later I went again this past May and when I was in Santiago I said, well this is it, Im never coming back again. Famous last words, I'm planning one for next September now. Resistance is futile! lol.

I'm so glad I'm in good company, because there are times when I think "is this the definition of insanity? Going back for more?"

No it's just the camino.... 😅
I’m obsessed. With the weight of every hiking purchase. I’m the only one of my friends who can tell you the exact weight in grams in each piece of hiking clothing/equipment that I own. 🤪 My favourite thing to do is explore online all the different Camino routes and then announce it’s the Frances I’m doing again. 🤪.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m obsessed. With the weight of every hiking purchase. I’m the only one of my friends who can tell you the exact weight in grams in each piece of hiking clothing/equipment that I own. 🤪 My favourite thing to do is explore online all the different Camino routes and then announce it’s the Frances I’m doing again. 🤪.
I think if I do another one, it will be a shorter one. It'll be fun researching!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hi Paula. You ain’t the only one, I finished my third Camino Frances last June.
On completion I told my wife that it was my last Camino, it didn’t take long two weeks later I started planning my next.

I keep looking for longer routes! The more time on the Camino the better.😄
My husband mainly did it because I wanted to. He enjoyed it but there are other things he'd rather spend 45 days on! I did miss my grandson and family terribly so I think I'd be just as happy with a shorter camino. Maybe the Ingles? 🙂

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You are not alone, Lisa. My daughters say they have not even heard of anyone other than me who would take the kitchen scales when going underwear shopping! 🙈😶🤭 I actually took them yesterday when shopping for summer sandals ( just in case I take them on my next trip, although I already have Camino sandals)

I actually get a buzz out of my obsession. I think it's part of keeping the Camino alive in me., as I live between Caminos.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I keep looking for longer routes! The more time on the Camino the better.
You are not alone, Lisa. My daughters say they have not even heard of anyone other than me who would take the kitchen scales when going underwear shopping! 🙈😶🤭 I actually took them yesterday when shopping for summer sandals ( just in case I take them on my next trip, although I already have Camino sandals)

I actually get a buzz out of my obsession. I think it's part of keeping the Camino alive in me., as I live between Caminos.
I love this! I’m not the only one! 👏👏👏. I also weigh it all on kitchen scales. I Google lightweight backpacking websites, checking out all the gear. I’ve already bought my camino shoes and a lighter sleeping bag and I wont be going for another 11 months. I get a buzz out of it too. 🤪

I love this! I’m not the only one! 👏👏👏. I also weigh it all on kitchen scales. I Google lightweight backpacking websites, checking out all the gear. I’ve already bought my camino shoes and a lighter sleeping bag and I wont be going for another 11 months. I get a buzz out of it too. 🤪
I'm going on a 9 day trip to Kenya in November. We have been asked for our luggage to be in a soft duffel bag . My brother lent me one but he was concerned it would be too small. Too small??? I feel as though I could almost curl up in it! And I don't even need to fit in a sleeping bag or travel towel or trekking poles.
My beautiful daughter consoled me with, " Mum, you don't have to fill it. And maybe you could take some other sandals and something a bit dressy to wear at night . And you won't need to take the deodorant out of its roll-on & put it in something smaller!" 😂
I'll see how I go. Almost everything I own is "lightweight, quick-dry, fold-up-to-nothing" 🤷‍♀️
I hope it won't be too stressful putting something in the bag that, for me, is not a Camino-qualifying item. 😕

Brilliant! My ordinary travel is also streamlined. I get a lot of pleasure when checking in my 13kg for 7 weeks overseas. It’s a mad obsession. Really though, how good is it not to carry so much stuff with you, not to need coordinating shoes. It’s great just saying oh well I’m wearing my trekking pants today, that will have to do. Every day. 👏👏👏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Brilliant! My ordinary travel is also streamlined. I get a lot of pleasure when checking in my 13kg for 7 weeks overseas. It’s a mad obsession. Really though, how good is it not to carry so much stuff with you, not to need coordinating shoes. It’s great just saying oh well I’m wearing my trekking pants today, that will have to do. Every day. 👏👏👏
You are a kindred spirit! 🤣

What are some of the items including brands and weights of things you bring?

What are some of the items including brands and weights of things you bring?
I have been aquiring stuff over many years and often for mountainous adventures but with awareness of weight since 2015. (Just in case i went on another camino one day) There are lighter synthetic t shirts (outdoor research, montane around 80g) but I prefer merino t shirts. I wear icebreaker. They weigh around 160g each. My puffer jacket is arcteryx and it’s about 210g. I like Smartwool or Icebreaker socks. I also like Arcteryx hiking pants 240g. My backpack is 800g from Hyperlite. Not always the lightest or cheapest gear but quality.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Like so many others, having just finished one (the Francés) we're planning the next. We don't currently want to repeat the Francés - at the moment. From what others say, maybe this desire will develop 🙂

I said the same thing last June after my 4th Camino when I was in so much pain. Well, 2 new hips this past year and I just complételes the Camino Finesterre and Muxia! Pain free!

Of all the addictions one could have in life, this at least is a good one. :)

I have done three and can't wait to go on a 4th. I'm on the short camino bandwagon though, as I'm still working full time with limited leave during the year. Looking with a lot of attention to the Sanabres... ;)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Like so many others, having just finished one (the Francés) we're planning the next. We don't currently want to repeat the Francés - at the moment. From what others say, maybe this desire will develop 🙂
I also just finished the Frances this year and plan on doing another route next year. Have the Portuguese in mind but two weeks is a bit to short of a walk. Might do the Frances again or as I mentioned in an earlier thread do both on one trip. I retired in September so time isn't as crucial as it was on my first Camino Frances. Only for sure thing is I want to go in May and June as I did this year. I just like it not getting to dark early in the evening. Loved sitting outside at night having a drink well it was still light out. Haven't yet ruled out other Caminos like the del Norte. Decisions, decisions.

@DwainS, the Portuguese is only short if you don't cover the full route, ie from Lisbon. And rather than just walk the Coastal or the Central, mix it up a bit - there's multiple crossover points - and add in the Littoral as well.
Mind you, I too would love to walk to the Norte!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.