• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where would you plan to spend an extra day?

KarstenM

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Hello Pilgrims. Two question. I will be on the Camino del Norte in May and June 2024. I’m very excited and starting to plan now. 1. What are some of the best accommodations that you really appreciated and would look forward to returning to on the route? 2. What towns would you suggest to plan an extra day to explore for the sites, beauty, and/or history? Buen Camino.🙏

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's tempting to mention the big cities, and there's definitely plenty to enjoy in San Sebastián, or Bilbao, or Santander, or Gijón. But give me Comillas. A smaller town, a great plaza to hang out in, a big grassy area with beautiful buildings on both sides, Gaudí, and a good beach just outside the center.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I Would spend a day in Ribadeo to visit the "catedralbeach" ( at low tide) You can get there by bus, train or taxi and walk back to Ribadeo. The beach is beautifull with different rockformations, the walk back along the ocean is also very beautifull and you can enjoy walking a day without your backpack

It very much depends what you want, village or city, rural or not. But seriously the whole of that north coast is just spellbinding.
I'd definitely give a thumbs up to Comillas, although for me Santilliana del Mar just beats it, and then add in San Vincent de la Baquera (apologies if spelt wrong) - all three are very close (Cantabria). Maybe instead of a full day in one, you could do a couple of shorter walking days and spend more time in each - they certainly wouldn't need a full day to look around. There are so many other equally beautiful places though, including outstanding beaches and fishing villages.
Also there was a recent thread with really useful info/routes to avoiding a lot of the tarmac walking, which I think also takes you closer to the coastline in places which has to be a good thing - I will look to see if I can find it.
I haven't walked the Norte, but have fallen in love with the area during 10+ years of road-trips around there.

Hello Pilgrims. Two question. I will be on the Camino del Norte in May and June 2024. I’m very excited and starting to plan now. 1. What are some of the best accommodations that you really appreciated and would look forward to returning to on the route? 2. What towns would you suggest to plan an extra day to explore for the sites, beauty, and/or history? Buen Camino.🙏
Hi, I did the Norte in 2022, I would definitely have an extra day in Santillana Del Mar, & Sobrado dose monxes......where ever you decide, I wish you a buen camino, I love the Norte, & will do it again

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We spent a week in Gijon at the end of our 2019 camino. We had an apartment near the downtown. A few blocks from the city beach walk (wonderful!) and many excellent bars and restaurants and lots of places to walk along the ocean. We loved Gijon. It's not touristy at all but I think that it would be a great place to live. It took a day or two to fall in love with Gijon. At first I wasn't sure.

We walked through Santillana del Mar. Spent one night there. It was very pretty, but it struck us as a little too slick and touristy and we were eager to leave. (Despite the name, it is not on the ocean, if that is important to you.)

For the beach, I’d stop in Tapia de Casariego. Pretty little port and lovely beach.
But there are so many lovely spots to rest. When I walked ,I had a day off every five or six days so had the chance to enjoy the surroundings.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh, I always spend extra time in Santiago. Thanks. But on a long walk I need some zero days (Burgos, Leon on the CF; Conques on the VP) - thinking of avoiding the big cities on the Norte.

We tend to keep extra days to a minimum as its a bit of a pig to encourage our bodies to get moving again after they thought its was all over and done!

I agree with the options given to you above though.

Despite what I say, sometimes you just have to take advantage of a wonderful stop. At other times, take a short stage and have a longer day at your destination if you don't need to stay that extra day

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I Would spend a day in Ribadeo to visit the "catedralbeach" ( at low tide) You can get there by bus, train or taxi and walk back to Ribadeo. The beach is beautifull with different rockformations, the walk back along the ocean is also very beautifull and you can enjoy walking a day without your backpack
The beach at As Catedrais is restricted access at certain times of year - entry by ticket. It would be wise to check the dates, which I think can be done on-line. Certainly worth a visit.

I'll be starting on 1st of May from Bayonne. Maybe we'll meet along the way :D.
I'm thinking of staying 1 more night in: San Sebatian (not sure), Bilbao, Santarder, Gijon, Ribadeo, Vilalba and ofc Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.