• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Me and my Dad

carolgibney

Hi there. I am going to walk some of the Camino (Sarria to Santiago) next April 2012 because my Dad who is 73 wants to and the rest of my family objected to him going alone. I'm the only one who can take the time out of our busy lives to do this with him and would regret it if, God forbid, anything happened to him and I hadn't made the effort. So that's why I'm here :) needing to learn as much as possible!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am impressed! Good planning will help with anxiety, and going slowly will make the walk a delight. The typical stages are for under 60, reasonably fit persons, and can be dangerous for others. Walking 20 km day after day is not the same as a weekend hike. I have learned to resist the urge to keep up with others, and can be very content with a 6 or 9 km day, particularly in the early stages. I no longer even contemplate 25 km, because it is pretty much a 10 hour day, too tiring for me! So my counsel is to plan knowing your limits. After a couple of weeks, you will be ready for the 20-25 km days, and will have discovered the effects of over-exertion. Non-destructive testing is the concept of staying below a limit that is known to risk damage. It works for humans too!

Have fun. Your father is a fortunate person.

"Me and my Dad" - just that is enough to make me quite emotional. You must love him very much.

You are already fine, just by your attitude. Pack light, pack light, pack light - enjoy! :wink:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"Me and my Dad"

Enjoy the planning, anticipation, excitement and adventure with your Dad. You're blessed to have each other.

Buen Camino.

I think you are doing a wonderful thing. I have seen your other post, and know you are likely to have many more questions as you both prepare yourselves.

While physical preparation is important, don't forget you will need to be mentally tough as well, even for the shorter journey you are planning. I know when I walked the Camino Frances last year, there were a couple of days early on which were particularly challenging mentally, and it took more than just physical stamina to keep going.

Good luck with your preparation, and I look forward to seeing the story of your journey.

Thans all for your welcome and encouraging words. I am in serious physical training and will get Dad on track when i visit them next month. As for mental preparedness, well who knows what comes up when we take time to look in? just have to dive in :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Carol, did you know that there is a new book (only published about a month or so ago) written by a father and daughter (Irish) who walked together to SDC?

It is called "Buen Camino, a Father - Daughter Journey from Croagh Patrick to Santiago de Compostela", and the authors are - Natasha and Peter Murtagh, published by Gill and Macmillan. I have had it on my bookshelf since its release, but have not had a chance to read it yet and so can't give you a review, though have had a skim through and there are a few nice colour photos.

Cheers, Janet

Oh brilliant Janet! I'll have a look out for it immediately and send him a copy too. Thanks for that!

Ordered it for both of us :) Thanks again for that!

Well it's finally here! Bags packed and leaving for Dublin on Friday morning. Will spend Easter with the family in Ireland and then head for Spain with Dad on Thursday the 12th to begin walking from Sarria on the 13th.

It's been an interesting year of training and planning! Two more good friends have joined us so now there are 4 of us walking. Dad spent 2 weeks in hospital over the Christmas and it looked very like his Camino ended before it started but..thankfully, he bounced right back and is in flying fit form for it. He may not walk the full stretch each day but he'll be happy to have just been there. The same can be said of me!

Having spent a year walking 5-6 km most weeknights and 18kms most Saturdays I would have said I was fit as a fiddle for this trip..til this past weekend when I developed a blister, which I stupidly ignored, which then went septic and resulted in a changed gait..which then resulted in serious muscle strain! I was so sore and stiff the day after doing 17kms that I barely managed 6kms...and that was my last chance to do any long distance days in sequence! Have sorted out the muscle pain, the blister is now properly dressed and healing rapidly, the first aid kit is the heaviest thing in my pack and I feel there is no more I can do...just have to get on with it now.

As a result of this website I have made a good friend who has walked with us several weekends and inspired us to believe we will have no problem at all! She did it last year.

So if any of you are on route from Sarria to Santiago between April 12th and 18th say hi to us. We'll be one elderly man with his three middle aged angels (?!?!)...all carrying only day packs and strolling along stopping at every coffee stop.
Here we go, here we go, here we go....yee haaaaaaaaa

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Marvellous - Ultreiya!!

By the way, you might find that it is the elderly man who is the angel and it is he who has orchestrated you all walking the path ....... just a thought :wink:

Walk as if that which you name God is walking at your side ...

This is from the Blessed Island I think ...

May the raindrops fall lightly on your brow
May the soft winds freshen your spirit
May the sunshine brighten your heart
May the burdens of the day rest lightly upon you
And may God enfold you in the mantle of His love

You are a good man - Buen Camino!!!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,
If you're leaving from Dublin you could start your journey from St James gate, the original meeting point for medieval pilgrims leaving for Santiago, and maybe even catch mass at St James church. You could also get your first stamp in your pilgrim credentials at the Guinness brewery and/or the church- I've started all my pilgrimages this way and can't recommend it too highly :D
Nell

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back