• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Men in their underwear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodles

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (May 2013)
Portuguese (May 2014)
I'm on the the Camino and can't believe how many men, mostly older European, think its o.k. to parade around in the albergues in their underwear. I might chalked it up to a cultural thing but I've yet to see a female be so indiscreet. What's with this? It's certainly not like they have hard bodies to show off.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A lot are in their underwear for a while, usually to and from the shower, or getting into bed. Parading around has been a rare event in my experience, but you may be in a bold group! Think of it as beach wear! Plenty of women are in there underwear, too, for short bits.

Even the sagging bodies have transitional times in their clothes, and perhaps are not ashamed of the aging process. We don't stay twenty forever! :D

Parading has a pretty clear meaning, is it the one you meant?

Otherwise I'll assume that what you meant to post was your surprise at how relaxed elderly Europeans are about being seen, occasionally, in their underwear or less, and how comforting it is to see people relaxed about their sexuality, un-troubled by modern day fixations on body image? I presume you would not have been either shocked Or offended had they been flaunting the "hard" bodies that you see on every street poster, magazine cover and billboard selling everything from yoghurt to funeral planning.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't know what the thread starter mean by parading, of course.
But if it is elderly men taking an extra walk around the albergue while stripping off, walking back and forth, while trying to suck in the potbelly and grinning, trying to get your attention, then yes I have seen it too.
I did not enjoy it. Why should I?

Edited as in hindsight my initial response was a too strong.

Suffice to say, that in a multicultural environment, some people might seem less aware of the various cultural sensibilities of others.
Buen Camino
Colin

In the early 1900's my great grandmother a primary head mistress repeatedly caused her daughter, my grandmother (also a headmistress), contsternation by stripping off,marching smartly into the water (lake or sea) having her swim then coming out and getting dressed 'in full view'. Her reply to her daughters pleading to be more 'modest' was "for Gods sake Maggie what's natural can't be wondered at so either close your eyes or open your mind lassie". The same lady was a daily communicant, an ardent pioneer (teetotaler) and mother of 9 (so obviously not an abstainer on all fronts!).
I continue the family tradition of year round daily outdoor swimming (but not the 'au natural' swimsuit) and on the rare occasions when other swimmers have demonstrated obvious exhibitionism I've just ignored it (and with water temperatures of 4.5 for the last Winter and Spring this has been fairly easy to do :lol: )-unless there are kids around then I eyeball the individual and their dangly bits and suggest that they 'stow it away''. I take the same approach when walking. But remember there are different cultural attitudes to states of undress so just be aware of that as well.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Public nudity is a right in Spain except in the presence of children and mentally incompetents, neither of whom is likely to be present in an albergue. If the gents want to parade naked, it is legally protected. Spain is the most liberal country in Europe on the issue.

We took children in albergues (and we're mentally incompetent at times too!) but we managed to miss the parading sorts. Yes, there were people who were dashing (or hobbling) to the showers in just their underwear, and there were women having basin-baths topless in shared bathrooms (think Ponferrada for instance), but none of this was offensive. It was appropriate in the context.
We have recently had a delightful ad on tv in NZ...a man is wandering along the beach in speedos (which, BTW, hardly anyone wears here - almost all men wear board shorts)....the voiceover says "togs togs togs" (which is the kiwi word for a bathing suit)....when he wanders across the street, out of sight of the beach, the commentary changes to "undies". It's all about context.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We use both (didn't want to explain yet another kiwi-ism though!)

There was one guy from Quebec who kept doing this- we seemed to be walking similar stages and staying in the same albergues. The sight of it nearly drove me nuts. Then one day I worked out he only had one change of clothes, and he would be waiting each day for his washed clothes to dry so he could wear them again.
Same guy was actually a wonderful artist, stopping off as he walked to do sketches and watercolours. I guess he cut down on the clothing weight so he could carry more art materials.

Last year though I struck one guy who was obviously 'parading' right in front of my bunk. I just turned my back the other way and ignored him.
Margaret

I think when you see it so frequently it means there is a cultural norm here that is not necessarily our norm. At first it startled me but no more than bunking beside a man other than my husband. After the 3rd or 4th night I didn't notice any of it....probably too tired. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I made a comment once to someone that I couldn't face any more nights squeezing past Spanish men in tiny G-strings only to be told that "Some people pay for that kind of experience!" :D
Made me laugh anyway....

Plus I'm not sure it's just the men, I've seen plenty of women of all ages and nationalities strip off and walk back and forth to communally shower on Camino...

You don't really have to watch?!

falcon269 said:
Public nudity is a right in Spain... If the gents want to parade naked, it is legally protected....
Quite interesting how nudity is dealt with in Spain. I believe it is not actually legal to be nude in a public place, but it is not illegal to be nude in a public place. Subtle difference I know, but that is how it is expressed, you don’t have a “right” to but there is no law against it. However, the law is only applicable to “public places”.
The public place issue means, it’s not illegal to wear boots when you’re walking, but when you get to the Albergue, the owner might require you to leave them in a designated area, that’s his/her right, as would be various aspects of conduct.
So you might get away with “nuding up” in Plaza del Obradoiro, but I suspect things it might be a bit tricky to defend your rights in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, Hostal dos Reis Católicos or the Bar Orense, if the repective management disapproved.
Colin

I assure you that underclothed perambulation is not solely a male characteristic in albergues. I have frequently seen women pilgrims in underclothing-- Germans tend to favour striped garments, for some reason; and I was once in a room of students from Salamanca whose garments seemed composed of dental floss. The Spanish are very matter-of-fact about (semi) nudity and one soon became accustomed to it. It was not intended to divert one in any way-- they were simply comfortable in their own approach to getting ready for bed. I likened it to the Spanish approach to insignificant breakfasts and late dinners--- odd at first, but one became used to it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One young lady was none too modest in the municipal in Burgos. I wasn't 100% sure if she was female, but my husband assured me that she was, as she had stripped down to a pair of panties and spent 10 minutes brushing her hair that way, right in front of him and my 12-year-old son. This apparently took place while I was in the shower. Hmm...

Legal precedent has established the right to nudity because there are no laws against it. Whenever a city tries to pass a law against it, even the clothed rally against it! There are some regulations in some places, and police regularly make arrests, but no one is ever charged. There are laws against indecency, so parading that is indecent is not protected. Ergo, sex in a public place such as an albergue would not be legal.

Skivvies to the shower is legal and common.

elzi said:
I made a comment once to someone that I couldn't face any more nights squeezing past Spanish men in tiny G-strings only to be told that "Some people pay for that kind of experience!" :D
Made me laugh anyway....

Plus I'm not sure it's just the men, I've seen plenty of women of all ages and nationalities strip off and walk back and forth to communally shower on Camino...

You don't really have to watch?!

hahahaha .... well the camino is an experience after all...... i don't mind what the experience provides... while I feel a bit too far on the other side of 50 to walk around in my undies... i think it is great if others are younger or less inhibited to do so ...... sharing our differences is the great adventure ..... do hope I don't :oops: I actually dont mind the beer barrelled men who wish to parade .. I think it is cute in a way... :lol:

I should check... I think we do have a law against public nudity in Australia :oops: ... the Europeans are way ahead of us .....

Annie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The old saying goes -

"In England, "everything which is not forbidden is allowed", while, in Germany, the opposite applies, so "everything which is not allowed is forbidden". This may be extended to France where "everything is allowed even if it is forbidden", and Russia where "everything is forbidden, even that which is expressly allowed". While in North Korea it is said that "everything that is not forbidden is compulsory"."

In these terms Spain is akin to France.

in Australia....... well....... what you don't know won't hurt you ....... :lol:

A

Be glad it was only underwear.
There was a couple in Santo Domingo who everyone noticed when they arrived because they were walking the whole Camino without taking a shower or using soap. Their odor was revolting.
At about 7:00 am, while everyone was getting up, he jumped into her bed. I'll say no more...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, OF COURSE, I had to post on this one!
Falcon is right: you wanna do the running of the bulls as nature brought you into this world you can do it, though don´t blame me if....
Locker room behaviour is expected and always has been expected on the Camino/in refugios.
Don´t like what you are looking at? Look away.
Like what you are looking at.....?!!!!!! For shame: this is a Catholic pilgrimage, don´t you know! ("Get a room"). :evil:

Sorry, I didn't know my underwear did bother you, I'll take it of then next time :shock:

Without kidding;
I dont know exactly what you've seen, but I never experienced this on my camino. If anyone has any sexual intention, I can imagin your reaction and I personal really wouldn't like to see that on a camino. If it is just because you see an older men in underwear in an albergue, I deeply disapprove your reaction.

It depends on the moment (how busy it is, how far etc) but sometimes I do indeed also go to the showers in underwear. Just because it is very practical and to me very unnatural to hide any body at all times when some other person might see it.
I'm curious what you're cultural background is. As an european I think it is not a typical spanish thing but more a European-US difference.

Thongs and G-strings are for women; all a man needs is an athletic supporter (jock strap) ... just saying.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perhaps some of the frequently-encountered pilgrimage aphorisms also apply in this situation:

For instance: "Tourists demand; pilgrims are grateful."
Or: "The Camino will provide."
Even: "It is better to give than to receive."

At any rate, as long as they are parading in their own underwear, just practice averting your eyes.

Last year, a German girl that I walked with from time to time, said that she seemed to be on the same walking schedule as a group of older European men that liked to walk around the alberque in the evening naked. Finally one night, after consuming a full bottle of wine she had purchased, she asked them why they did that...they replied that this was what they did at home, so why not here ? I always wondered if they would have if they had their wives along with them :)
Marilyn

I am a Canadian living in Austria--I have adjusted to nude-only saunas (signs posted announce that it is for "hygiene reasons" bathing suits are forbidden) and the local swimming pool has times for naked bathing. You just get used to it after awhile. It seems very asexual, and my local friends here consider the North American constant sexualization of the body to be an unhealthy obsession.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As long as they're walking around in their undies you should be "happy"! Guess you don't want them to walk around in yours :lol:

But, as someone has already mentioned: Either close your eyes or open your mind.

Ultreia!

"Budgie smugglers"!!! He he he. I only just caught that one!Nice one, William.
Remeber Martin Sheen´s face at the man in the thong hanging out washing? The guy in question seriously hadn´t a clue...
That's the Camino for ya.
(And PS "Packing light" is spot on. But it does take a while to get used to!)

I also saw men in very tight underwear (is it called skivvies? – i.e. in the kind of underwear where you might sometimes think "too much information").

Those were mostly southern Europeans – and as I found along the way – they were actually some of the most kind and considererate persons. I think it is a question of culture here – and in no way a question of any sexual attitude. – In saying this, I would of course not rule out that there may occasionally be the 'one off' person. But within an albergue you should certainly feel secure. I always did.

annelise

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I haven't seen anything I wouldn't see on a public beach. That said, looking in the mirror isn't as exciting as it used to be for me, either. We aren't 18 and hard bodies forever (although in my mind...)

I guess the answer is just don't look? Lol.

Entirely different profile, Falcon...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Anniesantiago said:
I haven't seen anything I wouldn't see on a public beach.

And even that varies by culture. In NZ most people run round covered up in rash shirts and boardies - although, yes there are some bikinis.....but nothing like Italian and Greek beaches where we did not see one female person with anything other than a small thong on. Even ancient grannies were topless there.
Did we just hit *those* beaches or is it general culture?

Hahahahaha, this has been hilarious.

Yes, there were all sorts in the Albergues, and walking with Georgia who was 10, it was an eye opener. Walking from France, we noticed that there were variables in respect given, but I doubt I ever shared space with a blatant 'exhibitionist'.

Having said that, as we got closer to Santiago, particularly from Sarria on, the albergue's were more and more crowded and filled with strangers - of the completely 'unknown' type. There were a few occassions I stood vigil over Georgia while she slept, as I truly did not know who these people were and it was getting harder to get beds close to each other. If I was not by her side, I stayed up.... and there were some strange goings on in the middle of the night, but still not scarey stuff.

I recall one night out from Melide, in a room with 18 full beds, someone on a top bunk decided to get up at 4.15am... we all know the sound of someone climbing off a top bunk at 4.15am. He did this several times, (up/down, up/down..) then decided to get dressed, but couldn't find his way around in the dark... so ... the headlamp went on. I was sitting on the bottom bunk one bed away standing vigil over Georgia.. He decided to put his underpants on first, and needed to keep everything under the spotlight of the headlamp. The hilarious part was, that he then proceded to take his underwear off and put them back on again, not once, not twice, but three times - under the glare of the headlamp. I couldn't resist, so asked him, "have you forgotten what it looks like?"

You've never seen a headlamp get switched off so quickly in an entire pilgrimage. The funniest part? He climbed BACK up to his bunk and went back to sleep!!! What on earth was all that about? (an hour after the episode with headlamp man, another guy decided it was perfectly alright to walk out of the showers, down the corridor and into the bunk rooms, shuffle through his pack and fold up his sleeping bag BEFORE he put clothes on......)

Frankly, it was April... it was all too damn cold for nudity!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As guess to me it seems like an albergue is essentially a public place where we need to take a conservative approach in order to accommodate the wide range of cultures that use them. Ask yourself how would you behave in your own home with house guests or if you we're a guest in someone else's home. There is a difference between acting with class and a sense of respect for others, and acting like you are back in the locker room.

Doodles said:
There is a difference between acting with class and a sense of respect for others, and acting like you are back in the locker room.

I guess the thing bought up by this thread is that there are different standards of acting with respect and class in different countries. So those from more covered up cultures may be offended or shocked by people doing what is natural in their own culture.

Always allowing there there may be some weirdos around wherever you are.

Doodles said:
As guess to me it seems like an albergue is essentially a public place where we need to take a conservative approach in order to accommodate the wide range of cultures that use them. Ask yourself how would you behave in your own home with house guests or if you we're a guest in someone else's home. There is a difference between acting with class and a sense of respect for others, and acting like you are back in the locker room.

I'd have to disagree with your approach here. If you are walking into someone else's culture you accept that things will be different than what you are used to or you open yourself up to being offended. "Judge not..." and all that.

So other people feel more comfortable with their bodies/at one with nature/have different standards than you? So what? Most people are doing what is normal and comfortable to them, if it makes you uncomfortable then take it as a Camino lesson to rethink your outlook on physical appearance or why you find it confronting.

If someone flaunts their genitals in your direction, then you can tell them politely that you don't appreciate it, or you can simply not engage them, or why not quietly take it as a compliment that they wanted your approval?

It's certainly not like they have hard bodies to show off.

Would it have been different if they did?

You can always look away, if its not kind to the eyes! :)

So Doodles, if it's Brad Pitt or an Olympic athlete flaunting their genitalia you are unperturbed. If its some old geezer in his skivvies waiting for his clothes to dry you're out-raged.

I do not seek to criticise you, or the moderators will superglue my keyboard, I am just intrigued by this modern idea that only the young, fit and pretty should be seen in public. Will you extend this concept to the whole of the Camino or can those of us who left "hard" or "pretty" behind a while ago still walk as long as we keep out of sight?

Tincatinker said:
So Doodles, if it's Brad Pitt or an Olympic athlete flaunting their genitalia you are unperturbed. If its some old geezer in his skivvies waiting for his clothes to dry you're out-raged.

I do not seek to criticise you, or the moderators will superglue my keyboard, I am just intrigued by this modern idea that only the young, fit and pretty should be seen in public. Will you extend this concept to the whole of the Camino or can those of us who left "hard" or "pretty" behind a while ago still walk as long as we keep out of sight?

I don't think I said anything about "flaunting their genitalia" or about being "out-raged". I'm just saying put your pants back on in a reasonable amount of time. In other words, act like you are in your own home and have house guests from another culture.

Doodles said:
In other words, act like you are in your own home and have house guests from another culture.

The operative word there is 'guest'. You are the guest. You chose to travel to another country with a culture and ideals different from your own. You show the deference and respect, not them. Why should an entire country alter its ways for one person?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to say, that I have never seen any Spanish pilgrim behave odd and inappropriate in the albergues. All I've met have been very kind and also mastered the art of changing clothes without flashing any underwear. On several occasions I have stayed a night at an albergue as the only woman, with Spanish men I did not know, and I always felt perfectly safe.
So I would say that the habit of walking around the albergue in nothing but underpants, is not Spanish.
The pilgrim flashers, or what to call them, I've been unfortunate to meet, were tourists from other parts of the world.

Laliibeans said:
Doodles said:
In other words, act like you are in your own home and have house guests from another culture.

The operative word there is 'guest'. You are the guest. You chose to travel to another country with a culture and ideals different from your own. You show the deference and respect, not them. Why should an entire country alter its ways for one person?

I don't consider parading around in your underwear a cultural right anymore than I would farting or belching in public.

If someone flashes their family jewels, would it be inappropriate to flash your pen knife back, or perhaps laugh and point.?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I guess some of this will depend on what you're used to. But if the sights of somebody in their underwear shocks you stay away from any beach community. You'll see far worse worn by the tourists in the local shopping malls.

OTOH I find it strange somebody would watch for ten minutes and then complain about it :shock:

NicoZ said:
OTOH I find it strange somebody would watch for ten minutes and then complain about it :shock:

Who did that?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
:D actually the sad fact is that its not the attractive men who do the parading.
I've never seen one anyway.
Well. If any of you gentlemen out there should wish to win my heart. Then buy me flowers and champagne or something. Write me a poem.
But don't parade in your sweaty dirty underwear.
Its not very romantic. It's just embarrassing.
Thanks.

Susannafromsweden said:
:D actually the sad fact is that its not the attractive men who do the parading.
I've never seen one anyway.
Well. If any of you gentlemen out there should wish to win my heart. Then buy me flowers and champagne or something. Write me a poem.
But don't parade in your sweaty dirty underwear.
Its not very romantic. It's just embarrassing.
Thanks.

Susanna, with all respect, I think you are a bit shrill here. You make it sound as if you would not object to 'attractive' men (parading)? - and who said it would be sweaty dirty underwear - just because a man may be an older person?

And what is it about "Its not very romantic. It's just embarrassing" - My mind starts reeling about what you may be expecting about 'romantic' in an albergue.

annelise

Laughing... :lol:
Actually I was trying to say something funny.
Joke you know. As a reply to the post above.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
susannafromsweden was not as "lucky" as I have been. I think she would have been impressed by the six cyclists from Segovia, who were defnitely young and quite in shape in the alberuge in Ponferrada. On the other side, I have seen very fit young Swiss, Germans and Spaniards (of both genders) prepare themselves for bed in very brief underclothing--- I must admit that I thought it looked clean, but felt that it would have been discourteous to have paid too much attention to them and their undergarments.

Still, if pilgrims are really uncomfortable with this situation, there is always the option of staying in pensions. Devoutly Catholic pilgrims, oblivious of John Paul II's comments on nudity, can just offer up their personal discomfort.

WHAT are underwear! Too funny, I use my towel or a sowrong!Ha ha. We are all the same! :lol: Gave me a good laugh, thanks

Men in their underwear are nothing to worry about. Just imagine you are at the beach.
It´s when men are OUT of their underwear they become a problem. And in most well-run albergues, the gentlemen know that´s Just Not Done, at least not in the open dormitory.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hope-ologist said:
If someone flashes their family jewels, would it be inappropriate to flash your pen knife back, or perhaps laugh and point.?

hahahaha I did that once to a flasher. Laughed I mean. :p Must say it surprised him.

At O'Cebreiro I saw the only "flasher" of my Camino. Just as I got off my bunk to go out of the dorm I saw a Spanish woman who was getting changed under a towel have a malfunction leaving her naked from the waist down. I turned and went the other way, hoping that she wasn't embarrassed. Later while I was writing up my journal in the dining room she came and sat opposite me. The ensuing conversation was as normal as ever, so I guess she wasn't embarrassed.
I must say that I found that most people changed in the bathrooms.

Well, I guess this answers the question of where to find entertainment on the Camino.

The message about the man getting off the top bunk does raise a question. How does one go about securing the bottom bunk? I am not squeamish about being on the top bunk - just trying to be considerate of my fellow sleep mates - I toss during the night and past experience tells me this causes quite a bit of noise. Any suggestions?

Deborah

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ah, so the "dibs" system works on the Camino.
It works so well that occasionally all the lower bunks are occupied by twenty-somethings, and the codgers are all in the upper bunks! Hospitaleros have been known to direct younger pilgrims to the top bunks, but most places are more random than that.

To me it is an argument in favor of not walking late into the afternoon...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
falcon269 said:
]It works so well that occasionally all the lower bunks are occupied by twenty-somethings
Their time will come. Not to be too judgmental (I was there once, a long time ago), but most twenty-somethings don't see past their 30th birthday, and certainly don't foresee the trials and tribulations that we -- ahem -- more mature folks have to endure. I will sincerely appreciate any younger person who yields a lower bunk to me, as they will appreciate the lessened disturbance when I get up during the night to answer nature's call.

As a 24 year old who is setting off from SJPDP this weekend i will make it my mission to ensure that pilgrims who are more infirm than me have the lower bunk. I have great respect for those that do things like the camino with considerably more life experience than me.
I walk alone but i tend to look at my behaviour the same way when it comes to being thoughtful and considerate. "If my mum was here would she give me a slap for acting this way?" I would feel very embarrassed and uncomfortable watching a tired older pilgrim who had just walked 25km struggling onto a top bunk while i sit on the bottom.

Well, OF COURSE, I had to post on this one!
Falcon is right: you wanna do the running of the bulls as nature brought you into this world you can do it, though don´t blame me if....
Locker room behaviour is expected and always has been expected on the Camino/in refugios.
Don´t like what you are looking at? Look away.
Like what you are looking at.....?!!!!!! For shame: this is a Catholic pilgrimage, don´t you know! ("Get a room"). :evil:
OH I'm so bad! I did peek at this beautiful girl in her underwear, don't worry Tracy, I will go to confession?

I had thought of snagging a lower bunk because I toss and turn a good deal and figured it would cause fewer problems to my bunkmate. Then I had a dream of bedbugs dropping on me from above.
I have decided to haul my ancient carcass to the upper regions.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What a thread - serious LOL's!!! I wonder what pilgrims 500 years ago would have thought of all this? What did those monks wear under those big brown robes anyway??!!!

Hi Tinkerbell - 'love your comment !!! Perhaps the kilt-wearers could tell us !!! Cheers - Jenny

I wouldn't care if they were parading around with flashing beacons on their head while walking naked. God gave us this body and its what will carry us along the camino.

Nudity is over rated anyway!
My Dutch sister in law is very open about nudity and thinks nothing of wondering around naked in front of my parents, her parents, friends. In her eyes it's just a body, and if its offensive to some people that's their problem!
(She is very tall and slender though maybe people would find my naked body offensive. But still it's done me well 27 years so far!)

If this is all I have to worry about on the camino then woo hoo bring it on!

I think when you see it so frequently it means there is a cultural norm here that is not necessarily our norm. At first it startled me but no more than bunking beside a man other than my husband. After the 3rd or 4th night I didn't notice any of it....probably too tired. :)
Happened to me too a lot of times. It always shocked me to open my eyes in the morning to the man on the top bunk nonchalantly fixing (?) or whatever he was doing standing right in front of my face in his underwear. You just have to turn your back & look the other way. After a while you just get used to it and many times they seem to do it without malice so it's probably a cultural thing.
Indyrem

Admittedly when I was walking I was shocked by this but came to accept as a way of freedom in some sense. It was the liberation of being out of your walking gear for a few hours. Myself I did it, but I wore either a shirt or a vest with it so it wasn't just the underwear but I can see where you're coming from.

One such example that took me completely by surprise was when I was in the O'Cebreiro in the Xunta Alberque and the male showers were all completely open and a fellow pilgrim was there showering completely nude, it came as a shock even to me, but you just accept as it a pilgrim way, or I did. Although, safe to say that was one of the days where I skipped a full shower and opted for using the water from the sink and my baby wipes to clean myself.

I guess that a majority of us tend to shower in the nude, no?
I met woman showering in bikinis in woman shower rooms. Strange. But I'm half Finnish and used to nudity among strangers in the sauna.

I'm afraid to suggest this but Germany can have coed locker and showers.

Of course Spain has a fairly large number of nude beaches.

I have met the 'prancing' older male in tiny underwear (usually from a mediterainian country) ... but I can deal with that (i.e. ignore)

the three strangest experiances were

a) a woman only wearing knickers started shouting at me in rapid Italian (I do not speak Italin!) while waveing her mobile phone in my face ... it turned out she wanted me to top up her call credit but why she couldn't dress before hand I don't know :confused:

b) arriving as part of a group of men in the convent in Carrion, plotting inocently after them into the room we were shown when the nun saw me! she dramatically threw her hand over her head shouted "no no no" dragged me out by the elbow and showed me the ladies bedroom

c) the morning I saw the shocked face of a fellow pilgrim (and Jesuti Priest) after a couple got very 'busy' in the bunk bed above him

I just love the camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm on the the Camino and can't believe how many men, mostly older European, think its o.k. to parade around in the albergues in their underwear. I might chalked it up to a cultural thing but I've yet to see a female be so indiscreet. What's with this? It's certainly not like they have hard bodies to show off.

While having breakfast in albergue in Estelle one lovely morning, a young lady walked through the room with nothing but a very brief pants, stunned silence, even the priest serving coffee was speechless . Oh never saw her again!

It was O Cebreiro. I was on a bottom bunk in the afternoon. As I got out and turned around to leave I found I was facing a woman who was doing one of those changing under a towel fidgets and just as I turned she failed miserably and the towel dropped at the worst possible moment for her! 180 degrees called for! Later on she happened to sit opposite me in the kitchen. We exchanged a few pleasantries with no embarrassment or mention of what had happened. She had walked from Barcelona (she was born and lives there). I think what I am trying to say in my clumsy way is that we were both adults, both realised that things just happen, and that you forget about it and just get on with life.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It was O Cebreiro. I was on a bottom bunk in the afternoon. As I got out and turned around to leave I found I was facing a woman who was doing one of those changing under a towel fidgets and just as I turned she failed miserably and the towel dropped at the worst possible moment for her! 180 degrees called for! Later on she happened to sit opposite me in the kitchen. We exchanged a few pleasantries with no embarrassment or mention of what had happened. She had walked from Barcelona (she was born and lives there). I think what I am trying to say in my clumsy way is that we were both adults, both realised that things just happen, and that you forget about it and just get on with life.
Did you have a cigarette afterwards? :)

Pilgrims come from different walks of life. This issue was clearly depicted in the Way when one asian chap was hanging his clothes. I have experienced both men and ladies who did run loose in their underwear so I suppose this is normal to them back home. So I eventually got used to it on the camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pilgrims come from different walks of life. This issue was clearly depicted in the Way when one asian chap was hanging his clothes. I have experienced both men and ladies who did run loose in their underwear so I suppose this is normal to them back home. So I eventually got used to it on the camino.
I would be grateful they were, at least, wearing their underwear :)

Admittedly when I was walking I was shocked by this but came to accept as a way of freedom in some sense. It was the liberation of being out of your walking gear for a few hours. Myself I did it, but I wore either a shirt or a vest with it so it wasn't just the underwear but I can see where you're coming from.

One such example that took me completely by surprise was when I was in the O'Cebreiro in the Xunta Alberque and the male showers were all completely open and a fellow pilgrim was there showering completely nude, it came as a shock even to me, but you just accept as it a pilgrim way, or I did. Although, safe to say that was one of the days where I skipped a full shower and opted for using the water from the sink and my baby wipes to clean myself.

I remember the open showers in O ' Cebreiro. But male and female showers are strictly apart so I do not see a reason for not showering naked.
I also saw some ladies who wore bikinis and felt a bit " akward " even with the other females. I can't imagine washing myself with a bikini on....but I will always try to lessen the akwardness of the others . So in that case I waited till they were gone and went showering afterwards.
Don't beat me up but I think it is a cultural thing : Scandinavian ladies, dutch and we belgians had lesser issues with showering naked together than our north american and asian peregrinas. Again MY personal opinion.

Last edited:

Ok, ladies and gentlemen, lets get back on topic here, before you all start posting pics of yourself, or pics of showers in your home countries. This is about Camino de Santiago. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
I am currently walking the Camino Frances with my parents and am enjoying every moment. I brought some euros with me and loaded money onto a cash passport as I thought this would be safe...
Hello, I have reserved a night in an Albergue and the confirmation says Fecha de entrada: 2024-06-05. In the UK we would write this as 05-06-2024, is that what this means, 5th June 2024, I am...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.