• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Menu del dia - options to customize?

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I heard recently that you can ask them to bring you coffee instead of dessert when you've ordered a menu del dia. I'm hoping that's a universal truth in Spain because I have zero interest in the desserts but love the coffee. I didn't even think to ask if this was an option last time I was on the CF.

On a related note, I know how to order a mixed salad without the tuna, but I don't know if that request is an inconvenience to the bar/restaurant. In other words, I don't know if they've pre-made the salads, and asking for one to be customized is a pain in the a** for them? I don't want to be the annoying customer.

Between you and me, I also dislike the cold slimy white asparagus they often put on the mixed salads, but I realize that's being way too fussy so I wouldn't ask them to leave that off. But I'm just not a fan of fish on a garden salad.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
So normally the Menu del Dia is sort of a take it as it comes. There may be a notation of water or wine and coffee or dessert, but normally customizing your other items is frowned on. You could say you have a food allergy to tuna, I suppose if that is true. If things are made ahead they will likely just tell you no substitutions. Just take the asparagus off, or maybe order one of the other starter options.

The Menu del Dia is usually not a set thing. It may be written on a chalk board, on a sheet of paper, or maybe the server just rattles it off to you. Usually although not always, it is only available in the daytime.

So normally the Menu del Dia is sort of a take it as it comes. There may be a notation of water or wine and coffee or dessert, but normally customizing your other items is frowned on. You could say you have a food allergy to tuna, I suppose if that is true. If things are made ahead they will likely just tell you no substitutions. Just take the asparagus off, or maybe order one of the other starter options.

The Menu del Dia is usually not a set thing. It may be written on a chalk board, on a sheet of paper, or maybe the server just rattles it off to you. Usually although not always, it is only available in the daytime.
Thanks for cluing me in a bit more. I'll just make an effort to get to like tuna on a garden salad and won't bother asking for it to be left off. And I'll play the dessert --> coffee swap by ear and look to see if the either/or is written on the chalkboard.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ensalada de verduras is probably what you want unless you like the egg with it?
That is what I want. My preference is just raw vegetables. No eggs. So is asking them to swap the mixed salad for a vegetable salad the way to go? Or is that still being a pain at a busy restaurant?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That is what I want. My preference is just raw vegetables. No eggs. So is asking them to swap the mixed salad for a vegetable salad the way to go? Or is that still being a pain at a busy restaurant?
I think you can ask and if the answer is no, then pick something else.

The other menú del día modification that is always (in my experience anyway) perfectly acceptable is to order two from the “primero” category and none from the “segundo” category. I frequently find that the first course offerings are more interesting than the second courses. Especially if it’s a menú del peregrino, where the second course offerings are often various thin slices of pork or beef with french fries.

I avoid the “menu Peregrino”. There is only so much Lomo / Pollo / Bisteca one human can consume in a lifetime. And one Camino Frances should cover it. The Menu del Dia is a different beast. My experience is that stuff like the ensalada is fresh prepared from a mis-en-place so ensalada sin cebolla or sin atun is easy. Alubias con whatever comes like it does. The kitchen can’t change a dish that started cooking yesterday.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I heard recently that you can ask them to bring you coffee instead of dessert when you've ordered a menu del dia. I'm hoping that's a universal truth in Spain because I have zero interest in the desserts but love the coffee.
In my experience, coffee is virtually always offered at the time of dessert discussions. If dessert is included in a set price, then coffee would be an acceptable substitute. If you want both, maybe you'll need to pay extra.

@JustJack my Camino buddy on three Caminos (my mother) is vegetarian and likes salads, and always ordered them without tuna (sin atún). This never even raised an eyebrow, it was no problem. She just asked for the "ensalada mixta sin atún, por favor", if ensalada mixta was on the menu (I don't think ever tried ordering off menu). Plenty of vegetarians do this on Caminos (and those who just don't like tuna). I got the impression it was definitely not an unusual request, at least where we went on the Francés. I'm sure you could ask for it "sin huevos" as well.

¡Buen provecho!

Anything on the Menú is available to order. If you just want the pasta, just order the pasta. As for the salad, you can simply say “no tuna, please.”

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I heard recently that you can ask them to bring you coffee instead of dessert when you've ordered a menu del dia. I'm hoping that's a universal truth in Spain because I have zero interest in the desserts but love the coffee. I didn't even think to ask if this was an option last time I was on the CF.

On a related note, I know how to order a mixed salad without the tuna, but I don't know if that request is an inconvenience to the bar/restaurant. In other words, I don't know if they've pre-made the salads, and asking for one to be customized is a pain in the a** for them? I don't want to be the annoying customer.

Between you and me, I also dislike the cold slimy white asparagus they often put on the mixed salads, but I realize that's being way too fussy so I wouldn't ask them to leave that off. But I'm just not a fan of fish on a garden salad.
When in Spain….realized quickly that most food on the trail is just okay if you’re lucky. I began to see food as calories in. But most walkers don’t go for the experience of the food.

When in Spain….realized quickly that most food on the trail is just okay if you’re lucky. I began to see food as calories in. But most walkers don’t go for the experience of the food.

If you take a closer look at this forum you will notice that there indeed many posters who also " go " for the foodexperience. IMO the cuisine of a specific country is also a big part of the local culture.
A pilgrimage does not have to exclude enjoying quality food.

I have mostly been happy with the MP( menu d Perigrino) I know they can be repetitive but I needed the calories for the next day. Unlike the locals the evening MP is 60% of my intake . It’s a good time to try something that you don’t know. I found the food very good in Spain , and is one of the reasons I keep coming back.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know they can be repetitive but I needed the calories for the next day.
Sometimes the food is a delight. At other times it is simply fuel. Having walked enough routes with very little infrastructure where finding any food at all is not guaranteed I'll happily settle for the latter but be grateful for the pleasant surprises

I am among the dessert-avoiders, preferring fruit; one can always ask for queso, but expect to pay another euro for this. I have always ordered coffee in addition, as the 1.50 is a gesture to the restaurant which is providing a very-small-profit service with the menu de dia.

If you take a closer look at this forum you will notice that there indeed many posters who also " go " for the foodexperience. IMO the cuisine of a specific country is also a big part of the local culture.
A pilgrimage does not have to exclude enjoying quality food.
In the larger cities, I’m sure that is accurate. I was on the Norte, which may explain part of my impression.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In the larger cities, I’m sure that is accurate. I was on the Norte, which may explain part of my impression.

It is a matter of following the locals. Especially in smaller towns and villages. Even on remoter caminos than the Norte. But yes, most of those restos do not specifically advertise themselves much.

Swapping coffee for dessert is standard all over Spain. When offered "postre" (dessert), just say "cafe?"...

Wow, that was not my experience at all. Is the food lousy on the Frances because on the Portuguese it was fabulous. I honestly can't remember a bad meal. I've been ranting ever since I got back about how amazing the quality of food was compared to North America. Our first night out from Porto, we were in the middle of that 80s beach condo suburb by the oil refinery and there were very few food options so we had to settle for donairs. They were freaking fantastic! If there was a Camino in Canada you'd eat mostly chain fast food. There's great food here but the average in small towns or along a road will be low quality. sad

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In the US, waiters/waitress are eager for personalized request and serve free refills because they are hoping the service will be recognized by a larger tip.

In Spain and the rest of Europe, waiters/waitress are not working for tips, so they are less receptive to customized food orders. Food tends to be prepared in a traditional style passed down for 100's of years by a classically trained chef which may feel insulted if you attempt to dictate food preparation. Unless you have a medical issue, just eat it as is! Embrace the difference!

-Paul

In my experience you are likely to be charged (a lot) more if you try to vary the Menu del Dia or d Perigrino.
But I always asked for carajillo instead of postre and was seldom disappointed - D

I had to laugh when you were describing the mixed salad. I remember the very first time I saw those slimy, white asparagus, and the tuna on the mixed salad. I wondered what it was. However, overtime I grew to enjoy it and missed it especially when there weren’t a lot of restaurants around in some of the sections that I walked during the Del Norte. Having said that, I think they prepare it fresh, so you can always ask for sin tuna o sin espárragos

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had to laugh when you were describing the mixed salad. I remember the very first time I saw those slimy, white asparagus, and the tuna on the mixed salad. I wondered what it was. However, overtime I grew to enjoy it and missed it especially when there weren’t a lot of restaurants around in some of the sections that I walked during the Del Norte. Having said that, I think they prepare it fresh, so you can always ask for sin tuna o sin espárragos
I particularly enjoyed the , salads mixia con tun, with the olive oil chilled , still think about it

I heard recently that you can ask them to bring you coffee instead of dessert when you've ordered a menu del dia. I'm hoping that's a universal truth in Spain
I've found that usually they'll accommodate requests like that, I was usually able to get eggs rather than some other side dish -- though sometimes they wouldn't, and one place even wanted to charge me extra for a couple of eggs.

So it's not universal, but it's fairly common ; though truth is, in many cases the coffee is included, so you'd just be skipping dessert.
On a related note, I know how to order a mixed salad without the tuna, but I don't know if that request is an inconvenience to the bar/restaurant.
Not every mixed salad includes tuna, and FWIW in recent decades it's become more common to find a variety of salads on offer than just one type.

As to asking for an individualised salad, I don't think I would. In France it's much easier, just get crudités instead of salade mixte.
So normally the Menu del Dia is sort of a take it as it comes. There may be a notation of water or wine and coffee or dessert, but normally customizing your other items is frowned on.
Depends where, but I've found that in most of Spain most restaurants are happy to accommodate an easy swap, like a couple of fried eggs instead of a side dish.

So, not as far as treating a menú del día as if it were à la carte, but some easy swap for them to do in the kitchen but still within the bounds of the menú.

Tip for people who are vegan/vegetarian/tired of meat with everything: if you have made friends with the waiter and you're in a fairly large restaurant, asking nicely of the kitchen could make you a "parrillada de verduras" (grilled vegetables) has several times secured me a very nice meal - but not as a part of the Menu del Dia. I tip well and thank effusively.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back