• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Menu del dia (what goodies will I find)?

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
I’ve always kept my Camino meals at a minimum (supermarket mostly) with only experiencing a few Pilgrims Menus total on three Camino’s. I’m not a fan of the Pilgrims Menu. I see the Menu del dia mentioned a lot on this forum. I’m curious what kind of foods could I expect to eat when ordering from this menu, cost? 🤤 On the Frances.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here is an especially good example from January this year. From the extraordinary dining room of the Circulo de la Unión in Burgos. On the Paseo del Espolón near the cathedral. A private club but the dining room is open to the public for lunch. Included a full bottle of wine.

IMG_20230113_130537.jpgIMG_20230113_140504.jpgIMG_20230113_131325.jpg

Here is an especially good example from January this year. From the extraordinary dining room of the Circulo de la Unión in Burgos. On the Paseo del Espolón near the cathedral. A private club but the dining room is open to the public for lunch. Included a full bottle of wine.

View attachment 160825View attachment 160826View attachment 160827
Wow! Those seconds look good. Thanks for the tip. Planning on staying a couple nights in Burgos. Will definitely check this place out and at 14 euro, what a deal. Thanks!! 😁

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think I would sum it up like this.
A Pilgrim's menu is generally very good value and usually a nice meal.
But they are made 'to a budget' and so after a while you'll see the same menu options time after time.
They are IMHO great value 'no frills' meals.

The Menu del Dia for just 2-4 Euros extra usually, is an 'order of magnitude' in difference.
There will often be local specialities, more unusual dishes, much greater variety, and overall a much better quality.

But it's hard to quantify, because I've also had some outstanding Pilgrim's menus.
But very rarely, had a disappointing Menu del Dia.

Try them and see :)

Last edited:
You can expect everything that is not by itself (very) expensive. So no Txogitxu and Lobster. (There actually are Menus that include this, but not on the Frances and with a digit more at the "precio" section).

I tend to go with what the waiter recommends or what i know is regional. Of course theres exceptions.
What i seen in Menu del Dia (say in the price range of 10-25€):

- Salads. Mixed, Russian, Tomato...
- Soups. Lentils, Chick Peas, Caldo...
- Fish, cooked, fried, baked, grilled
- Seafood in all varieties (the less expensive like mussels and calamari)
- Meat. From a fried up slice to an honest to god porterhouse steak.
- "interesting parts" of the pig. I think one dish i had was stuffed pig intestines. Actually tasted quite good.
- Ham and Cheese. But thats actually quite rare.
- I guess i seen Paella as well as part of the menu. But i usually don't eat that along the camino.

And usually some kind of desert or coffee. In one place i got lucky and had the waiter replace the postre with a carajillo. Guess that doesnt work everywhere...

edit: pictures are of various different menus i had over different years. Also only the ones i found special.
1701766181937.png1701766206386.png1701766229592.png1701766253807.png1701766275085.png1701766299465.png

On my CF in '19 I was eating in Triacastela with a camiga. She got 2 grilled salmon steaks, fresh beans and potatoes, a bottle of white wine. My Menue was a grilled beef steak, fresh beans, potatoes and a bottle of red wine. 10€ each!
That was the best value for money on my CF.

But I encountered many different styles of food, fish, meat, vegetables, soup, pasta, in different cooking styles. Mostly very regional and fresh prepared.

Enjoyed every single one. Except of Pulpo, that's not my cup of tea.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As stated in the posts above, Menù del Dìa can be almost anything and usually quite good. When in Logroño, go to Cafè Moderno in Calle Francisco Martínez Zaporta, a very nice place where you can get the menu at any time from early afternoon til late night.

Moderno.jpg

Cafe Moderno.JPG

I have had usually good meals on the Francés. Until I read this thread, I thought that Menú del Día and Menú Peregrino were different names for the same meal. I thought that on the Camino, it would be called Menú Peregrino, but off the Camino, it would be called MdD. I have learned something! I have had some excellent mixed salads, but I've had poor ones, that barely justify the word 'mixed' - just three ingredients: lettuce, onion, tomato. But you don't know until it arrives, unless you can see what someone else gets before you order. Russian salad comes straight out of the fridge and is ICE-cold – Brrrr! I asked for it to be put in the microwave for a minute or so. I tried roast pig's ear – once – never again! But you won't know until you try it – ask for a small sample, as I did. Pulpo was OK, but I didn't want a whole plate of it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I may be wrong but the Pilgrims Menu is meant for pilgrims and the menu del dia seems to be for everyone. I think both of them can be good or bad, depending on where you go.
Both are too much food for me. My favorite is finding (usual 2) tapas to eat (and a drink). Cheaper and yummy.

The history of the Menu del Dia has an interesting origin from the days of Franco's rule. In most towns today, it is the midday staple. Usually it is comprised of one main course cooked especially for that day, other main dishes are also available and all include salad, vegetable/potatoes, wine and dessert. The chef then has a chance to do a large roast for instance which everyone in town shares. This daily tradition does not exist in Portugal but mid afternoon lunches at most restaurants follow similar sort of daily menu with one fish and one carne specialty of the day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The history of the Menu del Dia has an interesting origin from the days of Franco's rule. In most towns today, it is the midday staple. Usually it is comprised of one main course cooked especially for that day, other main dishes are also available and all include salad, vegetable/potatoes, wine and dessert. The chef then has a chance to do a large roast for instance which everyone in town shares. This daily tradition does not exist in Portugal but mid afternoon lunches at most restaurants follow similar sort of daily menu with one fish and one carne specialty of the day.
Yes, I believe Franco required all restaurants to offer a menu del dia at a specific price that workers could afford. It’s not required anymore but still very popular. My friend who lives in Madrid often uses it as a way to try out fancy restaurants. So it is in the restaurant’s best interest to make it delicious and good value.

I think I must have done something wrong. I came home from Spain desperate for vegetables.I think, in three weeks on the VDLP I only got salad with my menu del dia on three occasions. There were never any vegetables offered except patatas which without exception were french fries (chips to us Englanders.). This was a wonder to me, because the tiendas and supermercados had loads of vegetables, so why none in the bars/restaurants.

On the Via, menu del dia was my main meal of the day. In a tiny village it might only have one or two choices for each ‘course’ but always with a great home cooked personal feeling. In bigger towns the larger type of menu already mentioned was readily available.
Ensalata mixta was always fabulous, had some great lentil soups, lots of pork, fish…. desert, wine. Yum!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Although good value I found the menu de peregriño quite repetitive and other places offering a menu del dia was usually far better. Two I would recommend were: 1. Carrión de los Condes - La Corte. Calle santa maria - great local place and great food 2. Logoroño Cafe Moderno - the best meal i had on the camino - excellent oxtail + a good bottle of red also helped - this is their Web site https://www.cafemoderno.com/

I think I must have done something wrong. I came home from Spain desperate for vegetables.I think, in three weeks on the VDLP I only got salad with my menu del dia on three occasions. There were never any vegetables offered except patatas which without exception were french fries (chips to us Englanders.). This was a wonder to me, because the tiendas and supermercados had loads of vegetables, so why none in the bars/restaurants.
The salad is ordered separately from the main course, ensalada mixta. The mains tend not to come with salad. I would often order two starters instead of a main.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you are looking for something different I had a delicious vegetarian four course menu del dia in Burgos at La fauna gastro, and in Leon I was surprised to find a Japanese restaurant offering a menu del dia - Miu Japones Leon - equally delicious!

Yes, I believe Franco required all restaurants to offer a menu del dia at a specific price that workers could afford. It’s not required anymore but still very popular. My friend who lives in Madrid often uses it as a way to try out fancy restaurants. So it is in the restaurant’s best interest to make it delicious and good value.
Menu del dia was started in 1965 ss a touristic menu by minister Fraga who in 1993 as president of Xunta de Galicia relaunched de Camino de Santiago. Also he changed the Galician names into Galician version ( O Cebreiro/ El Cebrero, etc).

I’ve always kept my Camino meals at a minimum (supermarket mostly) with only experiencing a few Pilgrims Menus total on three Camino’s. I’m not a fan of the Pilgrims Menu. I see the Menu del dia mentioned a lot on this forum. I’m curious what kind of foods could I expect to eat when ordering from this menu, cost? 🤤 On the Frances.
I would suggest eating one or two every week, and making sure each one is as inexpensive as possible. Make sure the bottle of tinto is included, though that mostly stops working once you reach Galicia.

In a normal place, it's just ordinary Spanish family cooking.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As stated in the posts above, Menù del Dìa can be almost anything and usually quite good.
Although the practice is dying out, in some places the pilgrim menu is still just the menu del día plus an extra couple of Euros, and occasionally a glass of wine rather than a bottle, despite the extra price.

Conversely, if your Spanish is good enough, you'll get more rather than less if you are a pilgrim.

I'd say -- at least learn how to read a menu !!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back