• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Missing Spain & CF dearly, however happily walking Dutch Pilgrimpath

Madeleine Jacobs

MJ Camino fan
Time of past OR future Camino
3x CF/2019-2013, CP?2022, planned Holy Week 2024
I miss Spain and the CF dearly, but I have now found new spirits in walking a long distance path in my own country, the Netherlands.

The Covid-situation in Holland is not developing well at all, so I had to come up with a safe, Corona-proof way to walk the Dutch Pelgrim Path, which runs from Amsterdam to below Maastricht.

The idea is that I travel daily from my home to the end-point of a walking etappe, with my bicycle in the back of my car. At the endpoint, I park the bicycle and drive to the beginning point, where I park the car and walk the path back towards the endpoint and subsequently bike back towards the beginning, where my car is parked. Armed with a mouthcap (as need be) and hot tea in a thermos flask, the pilgrim path can be walked fully Corona-proof. Perhaps other pilgrims can benefit from this approach during these tuff Covid-times.

Attachments

• FAE1BF92-9428-4A70-AC16-409E418A8A3E.jpeg
    FAE1BF92-9428-4A70-AC16-409E418A8A3E.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 16
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
While I've not given up going on the Camino Portuguese, I have finally calmed my Covid-19 induced frustration by finding fairly local hiking areas...I call it going "off campus" from my usual hill trails on the property I live on.
It's a poor substitute for the real Caminos, as I never come across little towns with lovely little places to stop for tea & snacks. ~sigh~
But it's not bad walking up and down and around hills, past streams; glimpsing an occasional deer or turkey or squirrel or lizard & lots of birds.
I wear my Camino Gear with only a small day pack and pretend. 😉
Then I get to go home to a loving companion, a long, hot shower, a meal and a good sleep in a comfy bed.

All in all, I'd say
Life's Good! 😁

I miss Spain and the CF dearly, but I have now found new spirits in walking a long distance path in my own country, the Netherlands.

The Covid-situation in Holland is not developing well at all, so I had to come up with a safe, Corona-proof way to walk the Dutch Pelgrim Path, which runs from Amsterdam to below Maastricht.

The idea is that I travel daily from my home to the end-point of a walking etappe, with my bicycle in the back of my car. At the endpoint, I park the bicycle and drive to the beginning point, where I park the car and walk the path back towards the endpoint and subsequently bike back towards the beginning, where my car is parked. Armed with a mouthcap (as need be) and hot tea in a thermos flask, the pilgrim path can be walked fully Corona-proof. Perhaps other pilgrims can benefit from this approach during these tuff Covid-times.

Hey Madeleine,

Nice to see you here! Great idea using the bike. I walked from Amsterdam to Den Bosch in stages (on Sundays and two long weekends) using a car to get to the start of the stage and public transport to get back to my car, of course this was back in 2014 if I remember correctly. I finished part 1 but still have part 2 to walk from Den Bosch to Vise but the distances were getting to long to walk on Sundays as it began taking more time to get back to my car than to walk the 20-25 km stage.

I'll be back in your neck of the woods very soon so if you would like to join us for a stage or in the dunes send me a pm.

Cheers,
LT

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Excellent idea! Thank you! Do you use a folding bike?

The Pieterpad is also a beautiful walk. We did this walk from Pieterburen to Maastricht in 2018. It also intertwines with sections on a Camino route that wanders along the Dutch/German border.

There are so many other trekking routes in the EU as well. And I really like how the routes connect one with mostly small towns and villages. Waiting for the world to be a bit safer and more knowledgeable about the virus as many others are so we, too, can wander, wonder, experience, learn, and share again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Madeleine,

Nice to see you here! Great idea using the bike. I walked from Amsterdam to Den Bosch in stages (on Sundays and two long weekends) using a car to get to the start of the stage and public transport to get back to my car, of course this was back in 2014 if I remember correctly. I finished part 1 but still have part 2 to walk from Den Bosch to Vise but the distances were getting to long to walk on Sundays as it began taking more time to get back to my car than to walk the 20-25 km stage.

I'll be back in your neck of the woods very soon so if you would like to join us for a stage or in the dunes send me a pm.

Cheers,
LT
Hi Lee, how nice to hear from you! I think regularly of you and how it must now be in Village de Orbigo, still very much my dream albergue and Plaza “major”. Still so happy that I pushed on to finish in SDC early July and August. I will be back to the Camino in no time, when it reopens, starting again in SJPDP. On the Dutch Pilgrim path and the distances, it helps to stick to the Camino habit of leaving around 6 am, so thus far I still managed to get home around a reasonable time, but after etappe 4, the distances of course get bigger as further away from my home.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked along the VF last spring, May 16-June 9. It's a beautiful route, and a completely different experience from France or Spain. I haven't been able to put my thoughts in coherent order...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.