• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Missing the camino

Paddyc83

I walked from astorga to santagio in may this year it was fantastic only thing is now I miss it thinking of doing it again same time next year but starting in saint jean anyone else miss the camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm missing the Camino too. I walked from Roncesvalles to Leon in May. Between the cold weather and a torn meniscus in my left knee I decided to go home and finish another time. So now I'm very excited to be starting out in Leon on Sept 2. I hope to have time to walk to Santiago and even on to Fisterra. I feel like I'm better prepared for full Albergues & cold to hot weather.
I loved the camaraderie among the pilgrims and the friendliness of the Spanish people. It was so great to see the churches, vistas, villages and so much more. Very excited to be in Leon next week for another go at the camino.

Yes, I miss it. One of the ways to keep the Camino with us is exactly what we're doing now - maintaining pilgrim contact. Answering questions, commenting and helping others prepare for their first pilgrim experience via the Forum is not only altruistic, it is an extremely pleasurable extension of the Camino. I also enjoy attending the monthly meetings we have in Sydney. Not to mention going back every year for another dose of pilgrimage.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I miss it every single day. Walked between Pamplona and Santiago this past April/May and hope to go again September 2014. From a journey that, for me, was about learning to be in the moment, my problem now is that I most want to be in *those* moments!

I was on the camino in July from stJdp and even today I don t know if people I met were real or angles.
Miss every day and also the meetings with God, myself and the nature.
I bless the Camino. May you live for ever, offering peace, friendship and hard physical work.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Haven´t been able to walk the Camino for the last 2 years due to family matters. Hope to in 2014. A day does not go by that I don´t miss it. And as Wayfarer posted - " there is no cure ". Im a regular hiker, every weekend but it´s not the same.
Buen Camino

Very well put Leviro. Everyone I met along the Camino were such good, kind people. I walked from Leon to Santiago in July and I miss it every day. It really opened my eyes up to the things that really matter. An experience that will forever be in my heart. Hope to do it again next summer starting from St. Jean.

I started out to walk ONE Camino from Conques to Santiago and then Fisterra and Muxia last September and October. What happened? I couldn't stop walking, and have now done three more, and can't wait to do another.....

I'm afraid it is true there is no cure!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked from astorga to santagio in may this year it was fantastic only thing is now I miss it thinking of doing it again same time next year but starting in saint jean anyone else miss the camino
Join the club, my first camino 2010 , 2011 x2 , about 1800 km, 2012 x2 and 21 days April , may this year, starting in burgos / Santiago on 17 9 next, when not walking on this form and plotting next pilgrimage, it gets into your soul.

I also want to walk again sometime. Hadde several painful blisters om my heels. Must try not to have any next time. But it is like giving birth-you forget the pain after sometime time. long for the interresting lovley people you met om the way. Wish I could have met sometime of them again

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I WAS due to walk Sept 2013... but something has come up at home...... sooo torn..... Camino will be there next year...... have to make a decision to stay home this year...... reluctantly ........ still........trying to hold on but have to make decision...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walked SJPdP to Santiago in 2012. Went back to do Santiago to Finesterre in 2013. My son said, "Mom, why not go somewhere else? There are alot of beautiful places in the world." But none are as beautiful as the Camino. Stripped of everything but what I carry on my back, it is so easy to see God in the people on the Camino. I miss it every day. Monica

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the same part (Astorga to Santiago) last november and I miss it too. But the perspective of doing it again from Somport to Santiago next november brings some relief. I live in Madrid but two weeks ago I was in León and I could not help feeling some envy when I saw the pilgrims, but, at the same time, I liked the perspective of watching pilgrims go by because I think that sooner than later I will be one of them (I hope so). In the meantime it's great to have this forum.

I was in León and I could not help feeling some envy when I saw the pilgrims, but, at the same time, I liked the perspective of watching pilgrims go by because I think that sooner than later I will be one of them (I hope so).

I revisited Burgos this year with my wife, I wanted to show it to her as I loved it, and I felt exactly the same. I kept thinking " I used to be one of you" when I saw the other pilgrims. And I will be again soon I hope.

I miss it daily; especially each morning at daybreak and every evening at sunset.
For those who ask why I plan yet another Camino my answer is "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing." Blaise Pascal, Les Pensées

Long may I be able to walk, but as age and time eventually take their toll hopefully my personal memories will endure. Physically I may not be there, but sentimentally I will always wear my shell. ...

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

I walked Leon to Santiago in April, and loved it. The walking, the conversations, the wine, the guilty-free chocolate eating, time to reflect & pray. I really missed being there, being a pilgrim.
But as of yesterday my missing the camino has switched to excitement as I have just got time off at the end of October and am heading back to do another section from SJPdP this time.

I started out to walk ONE Camino from Conques to Santiago and then Fisterra and Muxia last September and October. What happened? I couldn't stop walking, and have now done three more, and can't wait to do another.....

I'm afraid it is true there is no cure!

maybe to do away with using a car and walk as transport in day to day life more? You can meet many people and see alot that way also. I love walking, it is ninety percent of my transport,..happy to walk 5 kms to work each way or more if i have to, which can be enough to get a good walking fix and meet many people along the way.

I'm looking forward to maybe walking the length of my country sometime( nz ) ..i feel it could be a really nice thing to do.

I'm sure there are ways to keep the camino in the heart and soul and carry it into your day to day life.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't miss the Camino. Part of me is on the Camino every day, and from time to time I am wholly on the Camino. September 10th (?) Ingles from Ferrol and then out to Fisterra again, the Cee route this time. I don't miss it, it hasn't gone anywhere and will always be there for me.

I was on the camino in July from stJdp and even today I don t know if people I met were real or angles.
Miss every day and also the meetings with God, myself and the nature.
I bless the Camino. May you live for ever, offering peace, friendship and hard physical work.
Like you I think I met with Angels. Sorry about the similar photo, your accompanying friend looks like mine!! Miss the Camino and the camaraderie so much, can't wait until the next time. Did not experience the overcrowded albergues as I walked from Irun on the North route. It was not until I joined the France route at St. Irene that I realised what crowds were!!. Next time I hope to walk the English route as a short peaceful experience. I never expected such an experience and only wish that my whole life was as peaceful, close to God and with so many close pilgrim friends as my time on the Camino. Buen Camino and God bless you all.

Very well put Leviro. Everyone I met along the Camino were such good, kind people. I walked from Leon to Santiago in July and I miss it every day. It really opened my eyes up to the things that really matter. An experience that will forever be in my heart. Hope to do it again next summer starting from St. Jean.
I completely agree with your sentiments Leddy I walked the same stretch in June and feel just the same. Reading 'mspath' just a few posts earlier. He gives a quotes by Blaise Pascal, that explains all our feelings very well .
I think probably the only thing to do is become an eternal pilgrim !

Last edited:

€46,-
I walked Roncesvalles to Santiago last Sept 2012. I miss it everyday but I find myself re-living it so much more right now, and wishing I was getting ready to go. So many memories...the good times and the bad times will always be a huge part of my life! I will be back!

Hi Paddy - I'm with Julie ... if you can find a Pilgrim Group in your city you'll find that the companionship, support and understanding from all those you meet there really keep the Camino alive for you. The groups also provide valuable information to those who have yet to walk the Camino. It's a completely wonderful thing to be able to see the world through 'Camino eyes'! (thanks to Janet Leitch, Chairperson of the Australian Friends of the Camino for this fabulous expression).
Cheers - Jenny

Hi Paddy. I walked the Camino Frances in June this year. I've only been back for a couple of months and all I can think about and talk about is the Camino. I think it's starting to drive my family crazy!!! But, yes I understand what you mean....I miss the Camino so very much. It has been the best experience for me. I can't wait to do it again. Would love to do the Camino Portuguese or Le Puy next summer. Or maybe just do the Camino Frances again, staying at different albergues.
Take care and I hope you get to return!!
Nadine

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Paddy
I leave in a couple weeks to do my first Camino. Also starting in Astorga. How long did it take you to get to Santiago?
Cableseller- I walked from Astorga to Santiago at the end of May this year. We walked for 11 days. A couple of the days were pretty long but doable. Twelve days might be perfect. Have a wonderful Camino. The walk from Astorga to Santiago is beautiful.

this July i walked from St. Jean Pied de Port and I miss it terribly. The people I met and the things that I saw were just amazing and it saddens me to think that I might not see either again for a long time or even ever. I hope to do the Camino again, probably not soon as im only 15 and have school but i definitely 100% will be back.

I am sitting here with a painful heel that has never been quite right since the Camino last year from StJPdP to Santiago, but the main reason I am sitting and not walking is work. I have to make up the time and money to go on another pilgrimage, this time from Oslo to Trondheim in my native Norway, next summer. I know it will be different, but I am looking forward to that too. The year after I will hopefully start planning my next Camino, maybe the Norte, maybe the Frances again, maybe from Astorga to Fisterra. Who knows. I think the thing that sets it apart from any other walk is the amount of pilgrims, the amount of time it takes, the minimalist living; the fact that so many have made hard choices or sacrifices to be there for sometimes months away from their everyday lives and loved ones, and the fact that you yourself are removed from yours. With freedom and distance comes reflection, as you look at yourself and your life from the outside. The Camino isn't just something you do, it becomes a part of who you are, and I for one am missing it every day. I have my little shell around my neck so that every time I look in the mirror I see it and think: That is who you are too. Not just a worker, a wife, a friend, a citizen, but a pilgrim.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yep,I know the feeling nidarosa. btw might be a good idea to check a physiotherapist about that heel.
Buen Camino!

Yes, I miss it, but only every day. So it is not a constant thing ;-) I walked from SJPdP to Santiago this year 24 April - 29 May. I am planing to do it all over again at the end of April 2014 after Easter, which is on 20 April next year, to avoid the holiday pilgrims. I hope to do it differently, better if you will.

BTW. that photo is me at O'Cebreiro. I grew a Camino beard that disappeared as soon as I got home. In any event, every day I imagine myself back on the Camino. I am more or less re-walking the Camino in my mind. Unfortunately, as I have learned from many, many pilgrims, the sole cure to this yearning is another Camino!

So, if anyone is interested in leaving from SJPdP on or about 27 April 2014 (TBD), send me a PM through the forum. I will reply. At this stage I have not decided whether I will fly from Washington to Paris and take the train; or to Madrid and take the bus to Pamplona - SJPdP; or to Dublin - connecting to Ryanair into Biarritz then the TER train to SJPdP.

Ultreia!

Tom (from Virginia)

You sure you lost your beard t2andeo! You sure it wasn´t stolen?;)

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Paddy
I leave in a couple weeks to do my first Camino. Also starting in Astorga. How long did it take you to get to Santiago?

You will do it Ok in two weeks just take your time enjoy the Way and its people and remember once you are there you will probably find you have caught the Camino, and there is no cure !
Buen Camino

Last edited:
I miss it a lot. So much that in Santiago last year I vowed to return to do another. One year to the day i will be doing the Camino Portuguese then the Camino Ingles this September. The year has gone so fast and with
only a few days until I leave for Portugal the excitment is starting to build. I am already deciding what to do next year:) Le Puy to SJ? The Frances again? The Norte? No doubt my daily viewing of this forum will
help with the decision. See you on the Portuguese if you are doing mid September. The forum patch is attached and I am packed ready to go.

I miss it a lot..... . One year to the day i will be doing the Camino Portuguese then the Camino Ingles this September. The year has gone so fast and with
only a few days until I leave for Portugal the excitment is starting to build....
Having read your post, I miss it even more ! Delighted for you, hope it goes well. Perfect time of year too...Autumn sun in leafy Galicia, brilliant.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In. Porto now and a balmy 30 degrees at 11pm! Beautiful city and ready to head off Sunday. Recognised some pilgrims heading out along the river on the coastal route as I was wandering back into town and gave them a Bom Camino. A couple of German girls and a guy doing it on his bike. I might get the tram again to the mouth of the river and save myself an hour at least of which is going to be a big day anyway. Especially since I have already walked this today. I have noticed the familiar yellow arrows leading from the cathedral and made me keen to get on the trail again.

Always thinking about when and how will I continue the camino I had to abandon. I also have a little silver shell I wear that I bought in Burgos to commemorate the end of my camino or possibly to keep the camino near at all times. I ponder ways to make the camino a part of my life either here at home or possibly going to spain to volunteer. I met a few volunteer hospitaleros this year in spain and it seems a good way to see/experience the camino.

Always thinking about when and how will I continue the camino I had to abandon. I also have a little silver shell I wear that I bought in Burgos to commemorate the end of my camino or possibly to keep the camino near at all times. I ponder ways to make the camino a part of my life either here at home or possibly going to spain to volunteer. I met a few volunteer hospitaleros this year in spain and it seems a good way to see/experience the camino.

If you wish to become an "hospitalario" you have to do a course first .

Buen Camino!

Yes, I saw the other day that there is a course being offered only 12 hours away from here next spring. Ironically after looking at the camino forums here today I checked out prices to spain for next spring so I might be heading back to walk from Sarria to Finnestere instead.

Yes, I saw the other day that there is a course being offered only 12 hours away from here next spring. Ironically after looking at the camino forums here today I checked out prices to spain for next spring so I might be heading back to walk from Sarria to Finnestere instead.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back