A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Missives from the Camino Madrid

2020 Camino Guides

Paul McAmino

Blue Ridge
Camino(s) past & future
2012 SJPP-Burgos, 2014 Burgos-Leon, 2018 Leon-Santiago
Thanks for this evocative description of your Camino de Madrid. I imagine that your experience walking to Sahagún might compare to the experience of those solitary pilgrims who walked the Frances many years ago. As a consequence I’m adding the Madrid to my thinking about the next time to Santiago.
All the best,
Paul

Robert B.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Madrid - May (2017)
Thanks for this evocative description of your Camino de Madrid. I imagine that your experience walking to Sahagún might compare to the experience of those solitary pilgrims who walked the Frances many years ago. As a consequence I’m adding the Madrid to my thinking about the next time to Santiago.
All the best,
Paul
Glad you liked it Paul. It was everything I had hoped for and much much more. I encourage you to give it serious consideration. Cheers!
Robert

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
@Robert B. I have read the blog twice and enjoyed it a lot. Your stages was nearly the same as my planned stages for my camino next May. Hope to start the 8th. Do you remember the name of the hotel you stayed in in Navacerrada? Seems like a good choice if the mountain is not passable. Thanks for sharing the blog!

Robert B.

Camino(s) past & future
@Robert B. I have read the blog twice and enjoyed it a lot. Your stages was nearly the same as my planned stages for my camino next May. Hope to start the 8th. Do you remember the name of the hotel you stayed in in Navacerrada? Seems like a good choice if the mountain is not passable. Thanks for sharing the blog!
You are very welcome - I am so glad you enjoyed it! The hotel is a pretty fancy one, but through Booking.com I was able to secure an extremely reasonable rate for a lovely room and a big, included breakfast. Here is their website address. https://haciendalosrobles.com/web/ Enjoy your Camino!

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
Thanks!🙂🙂

igailfh

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Português, Camino de Tejo (Fatima)
@Robert B. Thank you for the link to your blog, it's awesome! I've only read up to Sahagun so far. I'll continue another day. So much information & inspiration!
@gerardcarey, have you seen this thread?

PetraF

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Madrid 2020 will be my first one
Thanks for your beautiful pictures. It's awesome and very inspiring . I will be at CM May 2020. You mentioned several times that US pilgrims are kinda not so welcomed, but Canadiens are. I am wondering if that is a new "thing" as I experienced that in Germany too. Sad. :(

Robert B.

Camino(s) past & future
Thanks for your beautiful pictures. It's awesome and very inspiring . I will be at CM May 2020. You mentioned several times that US pilgrims are kinda not so welcomed, but Canadiens are. I am wondering if that is a new "thing" as I experienced that in Germany too. Sad. :(
As a Canadian, I have felt embraced and warmly welcomed on my journeys around the world and feel blessed. I most certainly don't want to give the wrong impression about our American friends. It was not so much my feeling that US pilgrims are not welcome, but that there is a possibility that in certain situations they may be be regarded in a different light, particularly of late. Unfortunately, I did have a couple of unpleasant encounters and was deeply affected and saddened by them. But, as most people who have experienced the world, I have found that people are good everywhere and are often misunderstood due to circumstances far beyond their control. Enjoy your Camino in May!

Last edited:

Soy una peregrina

Camino(s) past & future
Norte,primitivo,francés,portugués
Hi Petra, when are you starting?, I’m beginning last week of April, glad to know there’ll be others on the route👍

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I have yet to read your blog, but plan to shortly...it looks to be a good one! The Madrid is a feather tucked in my cap and hope to walk it in the next year or two.

C clearly

Veteran Member
Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
I enjoyed your blog - having read many blogs, I found yours to be particularly well done.

sharon w

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
Hi Petra, when are you starting?, I’m beginning last week of April, glad to know there’ll be others on the route👍
I am starting on 22nd April. There will be 4 of us- all Aussies.

sharon w

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
I'll be interested to hear how it goes Sharon. Hope you get nice cool weather.
Thanks Heather. Hope so too. After reading how hot it was in September for you, we changed our dates.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Thanks Heather. Hope so too. After reading how hot it was in September for you, we changed our dates.
Definitely no white water streams to cross between Tres Cantos and Colmenar Viejo at that time of year :D

HeidiL

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2004-), Portugués, Madrid, 4/5 Plata, 1/8 Levante, 1/8 Lana, Augusta, hospitalera Grado.
Thank you! Camino de Madrid is lovely, we did it over two Easters some years ago and really enjoyed it, apart from that mountain before Segovia...

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Thank you! Camino de Madrid is lovely, we did it over two Easters some years ago and really enjoyed it, apart from that mountain before Segovia...
That was the best part!

Robert B.

Camino(s) past & future
Strange,I thought I would never want to repeat the Camino Madrid but now I think I would like to try it in Spring. :)
Funny, I thought I was ready to move to another route but the Camino Madrid is calling me back as well!!!

HeidiL

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2004-), Portugués, Madrid, 4/5 Plata, 1/8 Levante, 1/8 Lana, Augusta, hospitalera Grado.
Just this weekend, we were discussing caminos, and my husband and I both agreed that this is the one we want to repeat...

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few and hopefully lots more. See signature.
Thanks for sharing your blog, Robert. I enjoyed it a lot and it brought back such happy memories of the Camino de Madrid.

Your encounter with the Coca hospitalera made me smile. I remember arriving in the town and contemplating a hotel night, but her enthusiastic welcome (or benevolent kidnapping!) drew me straight to the albergue. I had a similar experience in Santa María la Real de Nieva, when another elderly person seemed to be waiting for my arrival and marched me to the little albergue. So much kindness and genuine interest in pilgrims on this route.

Rioseco to Villalón was also one of my favourite days - there was something very special about being in those vast fields and skies. I didn't want that day to end.

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
Really great to read your blog Robert as I'm planning to walk the Camino Madrid next and hopefully on to the Salvador from Leon. Especially after walking the wonderful Invierno, the quieter more solitary routes are definitely for me!

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 53 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 185 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 298 24.4%
  • June

Votes: 86 7.0%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 351 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 149 12.2%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock