• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monasteries on the Portugese

J.T. Turner

Greetings fellow travelers!

My walk is just over a month away. Are there any Monasteries to see or stay at on the Portugese between Porto and Santiago de Campostal?

And all other advice on things to see always welcome. I have the Brierley book, and this forum has been a great help.

JTactor

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
SIM... or Yes, there are
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-portuguese-albergues-pensions-and-hostals.81/

I stayed at the one near Coimbra (in Santa Clara, just across the river) but there are others. An austrian young woman told me stayed at one slightly off-route and really enjoyed it (further to the north)
Bom Caminho!
But the Coimbra one,opposite the river is not on the Porto leg but on the Lisbon leg.
I do not know if the Herbon monastery nearby Padrón is still open for pilgrims.

If you start from Lisbon -if- there is a retraîte house with nuns just outside Alberagria-a-Velha but here again you'll miss that when you start in Porto.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
By coincidence I read this article, placed by @Catharina56

There is also an albergue in the convent Mosteiro de Vairão (50 beds) about 2 km from Casa da Laura - This albergue in the convent is a donativo one; Rua do Convento nº 21, Vairão, dinner €6; whole year open,(this is nearby Vilarinho just north of Porto -albertinho)
phone + 351 912 491 346, + 351 936 061 160, fanpage https://www.facebook.com/mosteirodevairao,http://mosteirodevairao.blogspot.pt/, e-mail address: mosteirodevairao@gmail.com.

But the Coimbra one,opposite the river is not on the Porto leg but on the Lisbon leg.
I do not know if the Herbon monastery nearby Padrón is still open for pilgrims.

Yes, the Herbón albergue in the monastery is still open, though I´m not sure that the resident priests are still there. The albergue is staffed by the Gallego Amigos Association and is open from June 1 through October. It is about two km off the Camino and there is a red marker indicating the turn-off right before the bridge at Pontecesures. I know that amorfati had a bad experience trying to bushwhack through an overgrown path, only to arrive at the monastery in May and see that it was not yet open. But I am wondering whether the path has been cleared for the season so that pilgrims can arrive without mishap.

Has any forum member made it to Herbón on the path this summer?

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/hospital-de-peregrinos-de-herbon

Yes, the Herbón albergue in the monastery is still open, though I´m not sure that the resident priests are still there. The albergue is staffed by the Gallego Amigos Association and is open from June 1 through October. It is about two km off the Camino and there is a red marker indicating the turn-off right before the bridge at Pontecesures. I know that amorfati had a bad experience trying to bushwhack through an overgrown path, only to arrive at the monastery in May and see that it was not yet open. But I am wondering whether the path has been cleared for the season so that pilgrims can arrive without mishap. Has any forum member made it to Herbón on the path this summer?
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/hospital-de-peregrinos-de-herbon

Yes, I stayed at the Herbon monastery albergue on the 2nd July this year. The hospitaleros were a delightful Spanish couple (no English), and it was just me and one other girl who stayed the night. There is a sign on the door saying they open at 4pm, but they did allow us in a couple of hours earlier. It is a donativo albergue. They gave us a guided tour of the monastery at 7:30pm, there was a mass at 8pm (this is very rare now I'm told as all of the monks have left the monastery), then we had dinner with the hospitaleros at 8:30pm and got to try the delicious Padron Peppers - actually from Herbon!
The girl I was with was quite disappointed that there were no longer any monks living there, but it is still a delightful setting and very peaceful experience to stay there.
The path was definitely overgrown but well waymarked. I've attached some pics of the 3 signs pointing the way to Herbon, as well as the dorm room, the dining room of the monastery (taken there on the tour) and a view looking down on the monastery - I've had to reduce the quality of the pics in order to upload them.

I also heard good reviews of the monastery just before Vilarinho and the next stage after Porto called Albergue Mosteiro de Vairao (I stayed at Casa Laura), but there is a well waymarked deviation to this monastery before coming into Vilarinho.

I wrote a blog here about my experience of this and other camino's: followingthearrows.wordpress.com

Buen Camino!
kat

Attachments

• Herbon Monastery-1-1.jpg
    Herbon Monastery-1-1.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Herbon Monastery-2-1.jpg
    Herbon Monastery-2-1.jpg
    832.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Herbon Monastery-1.jpg
    Herbon Monastery-1.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Herbon Monastery-2.jpg
    Herbon Monastery-2.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Herbon Monastery-3.jpg
    Herbon Monastery-3.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Herbon Monastery-4.jpg
    Herbon Monastery-4.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 25
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, I stayed at the Herbon monastery albergue on the 2nd July this year. The hospitaleros were a delightful Spanish couple (no English), and it was just me and one other girl who stayed the night. There is a sign on the door saying they open at 4pm, but they did allow us in a couple of hours earlier. It is a donativo albergue. They gave us a guided tour of the monastery at 7:30pm, there was a mass at 8pm (this is very rare now I'm told as all of the monks have left the monastery), then we had dinner with the hospitaleros at 8:30pm and got to try the delicious Padron Peppers - actually from Herbon!
The girl I was with was quite disappointed that there were no longer any monks living there, but it is still a delightful setting and very peaceful experience to stay there.
The path was definitely overgrown but well waymarked. I've attached some pics of the 3 signs pointing the way to Herbon, as well as the dorm room, the dining room of the monastery (taken there on the tour) and a view looking down on the monastery - I've had to reduce the quality of the pics in order to upload them.

I also heard good reviews of the monastery just before Vilarinho and the next stage after Porto called Albergue Mosteiro de Vairao (I stayed at Casa Laura), but there is a well waymarked deviation to this monastery before coming into Vilarinho.

I wrote a blog here about my experience of this and other camino's: followingthearrows.wordpress.com

Buen Camino!
kat

Now I know of a new place to sleep. Next year probably. So, @peregrina2000 , Herbon it's located before Padrón?

Yes ! A few kms. Coming from Caldas de Reis just before Padrón you see the waymarks. As I am right it is a detour of about 3 kms

If it is before, it kinda changes my plans.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
To the convento take to the right. To Padron to the left.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Because I wanted to sleep in Padrón :oops:
When you go - try to get a confirmation ahead of time if the place is open.
Several lists etc stated it's open after Easter, or opens early May --- But NOT so. I was there (along with 3 other exhausted spanish pilgrims) End of May - and it was still closed. Opens June 1. -
Do yourself a favour: Find out exact opening times/months. - That crammy detour was one of the most frustrating episodes on the pilgrimage - and then to find the Monastery closed - I was ready to wrap the guidebook writers around the next Maypole.:eek:

When you go - try to get a confirmation ahead of time if the place is open.
Several lists etc stated it's open after Easter, or opens early May --- But NOT so. I was there (along with 3 other exhausted spanish pilgrims) End of May - and it was still closed. Opens June 1. -
Do yourself a favour: Find out exact opening times/months. - That crammy detour was one of the most frustrating episodes on the pilgrimage - and then to find the Monastery closed - I was ready to wrap the guidebook writers around the next Maypole.:eek:

So, Padrón it is!

I can confirm that the Herbón albergue is open from June 1 to October 31.

http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/inde...Details&catid=5&sobi2Id=22&Itemid=148&lang=es

I think amorfati´s confusion was caused by John Brierley, not by the Asociación Galega do Camiño de Santiago, which runs the albergue. Their schedule has been unchanged since they opened it several years ago. I have a friend who volunteers there two weeks a year and she just raves about how wonderful it is. One of the "old school" donativo communal supper albergues, and how can you beat its location in an ancient monastery? I´ve never been, since the last time I walked the Portugues it hadn´t yet opened. But you can bet it´s on my list!

I can confirm that the Herbón albergue is open from June 1 to October 31.

http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/inde...Details&catid=5&sobi2Id=22&Itemid=148&lang=es

I think amorfati´s confusion was caused by John Brierley, not by the Asociación Galega do Camiño de Santiago, which runs the albergue. Their schedule has been unchanged since they opened it several years ago. I have a friend who volunteers there two weeks a year and she just raves about how wonderful it is. One of the "old school" donativo communal supper albergues, and how can you beat its location in an ancient monastery? I´ve never been, since the last time I walked the Portugues it hadn´t yet opened. But you can bet it´s on my list!
Brierley's book was just ONE of the sources that published wrong info. - Literally every list/info I had viewed and consulted stated info that did not reflect reality. I did not feel confused at all - rather exasperated when I realized that I had trusted something so unreliable and misleading. :eek:
all I am saying is: before you head out that way: get the info a week/few days ahead of time as much seems to be in flux on that location regarding housing pilgrims.
cheers - c

Brierley's book was just ONE of the sources that published wrong info. - Literally every list/info I had viewed and consulted stated info that did not reflect reality. I did not feel confused at all - rather exasperated when I realized that I had trusted something so unreliable and misleading. :eek:
all I am saying is: before you head out that way: get the info a week/few days ahead of time as much seems to be in flux on that location regarding housing pilgrims.
cheers - c

Well, she says smugly, the CSJ online guide from Porto to Santiago had it right! Never leave home without it. :)

Because I wanted to sleep in Padrón :oops:
Well what is the problem ?
Whether you come by boat from Vila de Arousa or walking from Caldas de Reis you first arrive in Pontesecures and than you can decide as Annie says to go left or right

So you can stay in Herbon or walk 3 kms futher and you can stay in Padrón.
Don't forget to have your breakfast at Pepe's bar in Padrón you get a warm welcome there .:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If memory serves, and it may not in this case, the monastery itself was the cause of the confusion. The monks stopped operating the albergue, and it took the "friends" group a while to get permission to take over. Regardless, it is good to know it is reliably open now.

If memory serves, and it may not in this case, the monastery itself was the cause of the confusion. The monks stopped operating the albergue, and it took the "friends" group a while to get permission to take over. Regardless, it is good to know it is reliably open now.

Nope, that´s not it either. The albergue has been operated since day 1 by AGACS, always on the same schedule. The monks were in residence, as monks, not hospitaleros. They had a daily mass that was open to pilgrims. Though the monks did get yanked out of the albergue a few years ago, it had no impact on the albergue except to the extent that it meant there is not likely to be a mass now. Sorry, I guess this sounds know-it-all-ish, but I just don´t want the albergue or AGACS to get wrongly blamed for being inconsistent with their schedule or anything like that.

I have confused the inconsistency of the monastery and its albergue at Oseira with the one at Herbon! They are not even on the same route (though they both are south-ish of Santiago).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, she says smugly, the CSJ online guide from Porto to Santiago had it right! Never leave home without it. :)
strongly concur Laurie - one/you can proudly state it's a guide well researched (in my experience).
and with hindsight: that would be the guide to refer to and the guide i'd recommend.
cheers :)

Well what is the problem ?
Whether you come by boat from Vila de Arousa or walking from Caldas de Reis you first arrive in Pontesecures and than you can decide as Annie says to go left or right

So you can stay in Herbon or walk 3 kms futher and you can stay in Padrón.
Don't forget to have your breakfast at Pepe's bar in Padrón you get a warm welcome there .:)

The problem is that if the distance it's so close, it's not worthy for me to do the detour (at least for next year). I'll stay in Padrón has always.

The problem is that if the distance it's so close, it's not worthy for me to do the detour (at least for next year). I'll stay in Padrón has always.
What I heard about it from other pilgrims who were there it was a nice stay .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
strongly concur Laurie - one/you can proudly state it's a guide well researched (in my experience).
and with hindsight: that would be the guide to refer to and the guide i'd recommend.
cheers :)
Really, I wasn't fishing for compliments. But just to make the point that these CSJ guides, since they are online and aren't printed, can be changed quickly to reflect new information and the changes that other pilgrims report. This is a good example of how we can all help each other so much. I'm happy to be the editor, but rely on everyone else to make the changes, since I haven't walked the portugues in more than five years!

Really, I wasn't fishing for compliments. But just to make the point that these CSJ guides, since they are online and aren't printed, can be changed quickly to reflect new information and the changes that other pilgrims report. This is a good example of how we can all help each other so much. I'm happy to be the editor, but rely on everyone else to make the changes, since I haven't walked the portugues in more than five years!
oh - i did not take it at all like this - (as a compliment-fishing-expedition :)) - yet I believe that it's important to express appreciation of contributions or 'work' well done. if we (as humans/humanity) don't 'look out for each other', then who would/will?
i really appreciate&value all the info, insight& recommendation i've come across on this pilgrim forum or anywhere else, for this matter!
and a bit off-topic here: a lovely 3.40min song by OfficialArpeggiata which could have been a perfect 'soundtrack' for the portuguese caminho ...
happy editing .... saluti, c

oh - i did not take it at all like this - (as a compliment-fishing-expedition :)) - yet I believe that it's important to express appreciation of contributions or 'work' well done. if we (as humans/humanity) don't 'look out for each other', then who would/will?
i really appreciate&value all the info, insight& recommendation i've come across on this pilgrim forum or anywhere else, for this matter!
and a bit off-topic here: a lovely 3.40min song by OfficialArpeggiata which could have been a perfect 'soundtrack' for the portuguese caminho ...
Nice music Claudia. Just half an hour ago started editing my vids we made on the camino Ingles last May and during our round trip by car and caravan through Spain Portugal and France,. On my new IMac. New editing program Final Cut Pro after many years editing on Windows PC's. Just finished my first project on this machine ,a vid about our seacruise to the north of Norway four weeks ago.

Intending to buy a Gopro action camera for our next caminho event May 2015
Sunday next we travel to England so I will have a look what the possibilities are and what the prices are.
And writing about it now I will start a new thread to find out if anybody had experiences with an "action camera" on the camino .action.:)
We have several friends who use them with kitesurfing,snowboarding etc but never heard of it by using it during hiking

Buen camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thanks so much for the link, it's a beautiful piece of music. But how is it that the Portuguese have such a lock on wistful nostalgia with a tinge of regret?

Thanks so much for the link, it's a beautiful piece of music. But how is it that the Portuguese have such a lock on wistful nostalgia with a tinge of regret?

It's nostalgia for our golden days, and regret for not doing nothing for keep them on going.

hi Laurie - finally found one of the sources that stated: open May - October

http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/
HERBÓN
Albergue de Peregrinos de Herbón (AGACS)
20 places – Donativo
Herbón Franciscan Monastery.
Follow red arrows (flechas rojas) in Pontecesures.
From May to October
www.amigosdelcamino.com

Perhaps i even alerted them to that (sending an email) mis-info, but seems msg either was not received or website not yet updated. - And i also found the incorrect info on other sites as well ... still looking for those. -
cheers
c

Nope, that´s not it either. The albergue has been operated since day 1 by AGACS, always on the same schedule. The monks were in residence, as monks, not hospitaleros. They had a daily mass that was open to pilgrims. Though the monks did get yanked out of the albergue a few years ago, it had no impact on the albergue except to the extent that it meant there is not likely to be a mass now. Sorry, I guess this sounds know-it-all-ish, but I just don´t want the albergue or AGACS to get wrongly blamed for being inconsistent with their schedule or anything like that.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back