• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monasterio de Santa Maria de Carracedo

Shells

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles (2019); Camino Frances (2021 or 2022); Camino Portuguese (2021 or 2022)
Hi All—has anyone detoured to the Monasterio de Santa Maria de Carracedo, about 3 km south of Cacabelos? Is it worth the detour? Is it confusing to get from the Monasterio back to Cacabelos, since I understand it doesn’t have Camino way marks? If walking on a road is involved, is the road busy and is there adequate shoulder to walk on? I’m the default leader (since I walked the Frances last fall) of a group of 65+ ladles. We’re walking from Ponferrada to Santiago next October, and I really don’t want to lead them astray right off the bat!

If anyone knows of other really great things to do between Ponferrada and Santiago that may be on a Camino detour or slightly off, I’d love recommendations. We’re already planning on taking the Samos route, since I absolutely loved the walk both to Samos from Triacastela, and from Samos to Sarria, and want my friends to also have this amazing experience…Thanks, Peregrinos!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello , just after Villa Franco del Bierzo , there is an option to the right called the Pradela route that goes high on a Roman road that connects back at Trabadelo. It goes on the ridge line and offers great views on the main road route in the valley. I have walked it three times and one of my favorites. There is a village named Pradela that has a cafe. Also I would recommend that Albergue of La Faba on the hike to O’ Ceberrio. Of which you will see in the AM anyway after the crowds

Hello! After Portomarín and Gonzar, there is a place called Castro de Castromaior, archaeological remains of an ancient village. It is only a few meters away from the camino and you get back on it very easily. If you like history, it is worth the detour.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello! After Portomarín and Gonzar, there is a place called Castro de Castromaior, archaeological remains of an ancient village. It is only a few meters away from the camino and you get back on it very easily. If you like history, it is worth the detour.
Pictures that day. Worth the small detour. IMG_9546.jpegIMG_9540.jpegIMG_9519.jpeg

just after Villa Franco del Bierzo , there is an option to the right called the Pradela route that goes high on a Roman road that connects back at Trabadelo. It goes on the ridge line and offers great views on the main road route in the valley. I have walked it three times and one of my favorites. There is a village named Pradela that has a cafe.
Yes definitely take this route if possible, it is beautiful. The cafe I think Howard mentions is also a little Albergue. It's a beautiful little quiet village surrounded by chestnut groves, and as mentioned the walk up there is beautiful, and I think the normal route is mostly along the busy road (I think, as I've not walked it).
20231018_101616~2.JPG20231018_104035~2.JPG20231018_104605~2.JPG

Hello , just after Villa Franco del Bierzo , there is an option to the right called the Pradela route that goes high on a Roman road that connects back at Trabadelo. It goes on the ridge line and offers great views on the main road route in the valley. I have walked it three times and one of my favorites. There is a village named Pradela that has a cafe. Also I would recommend that Albergue of La Faba on the hike to O’ Ceberrio. Of which you will see in the AM anyway after the crowds
Thanks so much—sounds wonderful!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I presume that yours is a group of ladies aged 65+, rather than a group of more than 65 ladies. If I am right, though the Pradela route is undoubtedly beautiful, and much quieter than following the major road (N-VI), it is very VERY steep in places (especially at the start. If your ladies are fit and warned, it is doable, but most walkers follow the road. (But probably because they are not aware of the Pradela route.)
I would recommand Vilar das Donas (Vilar de Donas on at least one roadsign), only about 1.3 km from the Camino Francés. A bit further off the CF is Pambre Castle, just after Palas de Rei, but check opening times before you go. It is 8 km from PdR, but 'only' 6 km from the CF, which is, of course, a 12 km detour.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I presume that yours is a group of ladies aged 65+, rather than a group of more than 65 ladies. If I am right, though the Pradela route is undoubtedly beautiful, and much quieter than following the major road (N-VI), it is very VERY steep in places (especially at the start. If your ladies are fit and warned, it is doable, but most walkers follow the road. (But probably because they are not aware of the Pradela route.)
I would recommand Vilar das Donas (Vilar de Donas on at least one roadsign), only about 1.3 km from the Camino Francés. A bit further off the CF is Pambre Castle, just after Palas de Rei, but check opening times before you go. It is 8 km from PdR, but 'only' 6 km from the CF, which is, of course, a 12 km detour.
I had to laugh about the 65+ ladies, and, yes, they are AGED 65+! I appreciate the warning on the steepness, as one of “my” ladies has a heart condition and I am already planning to avoid the most challenging ascents (such as the walk up O Cebreiro).

I’m curious about this, as I’ve never taken the detour.
Are there any views on making the detour after Camponaraya to visit Monasterio de Carracedo and then rejoining the main route again? Is it worth it? …and is it a road route from the main Frances Route and back to the Frances or a path/road mixture?

I see the responses to the original question, which are also interesting and known to me, but I’m also curious about Carracedo.
Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m curious about this, as I’ve never taken the detour.
Are there any views on making the detour after Camponaraya to visit Monasterio de Carracedo and then rejoining the main route again? Is it worth it? …and is it a road route from the main Frances Route and back to the Frances or a path/road mixture?

I see the responses to the original question, which are also interesting and known to me, but I’m also curious about Carracedo.
Thanks.
Hi Chris—I didn’t receive any responses to my question about Carracedo. I did look it up online: https://www.turismocastillayleon.co.../monasterios/monasterio-santa-maria-carracedo. It looks beautiful and appears to have a museum about its history and monastic life. I also looked it up in my Brierly guide. It’s mentioned and Brierly says that it is a monastic complex with a royal palace. He also says it’s not on a detour that is way-marked, so I know nothing about the actual walking, although on the map, it looks like the best way is to make a round trip detour from Cacabelos (about 3 km each way.). If you find out anything more, or decide to visit it, please share with me!

has anyone detoured to the Monasterio de Santa Maria de Carracedo, about 3 km south of Cacabelos?

I have never been to this monastery, but it looks like it would be a beautiful place to wander around. If I’m ever back on the Francés, I would love to go there, so thank you for the information!

Wikiloc has a route from Ponferrada to Villafranca that goes to the monastery and which does not involve backtracking. The route has a lot of pictures and textual description as well, so even if you don’t use the GPS you can get a lot of good information there.

I have never been to this monastery, but it looks like it would be a beautiful place to wander around. If I’m ever back on the Francés, I would love to go there, so thank you for the information!

Wikiloc has a route from Ponferrada to Villafranca that goes to the monastery and which does not involve backtracking. The route has a lot of pictures and textual description as well, so even if you don’t use the GPS you can get a lot of good information there.
Thank you so much! I will take a look and really appreciate your suggestion!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Chris—I didn’t receive any responses to my question about Carracedo. I did look it up online: https://www.turismocastillayleon.co.../monasterios/monasterio-santa-maria-carracedo. It looks beautiful and appears to have a museum about its history and monastic life. I also looked it up in my Brierly guide. It’s mentioned and Brierly says that it is a monastic complex with a royal palace. He also says it’s not on a detour that is way-marked, so I know nothing about the actual walking, although on the map, it looks like the best way is to make a round trip detour from Cacabelos (about 3 km each way.). If you find out anything more, or decide to visit it, please share with me!
Thank you for this and for the info that you have. The responses to you had wandered off-topic a bit, but yours and Peregrina2000’s replies are most helpful - thank you again.

I’ve walked the section beyond Astorga 9 times in the past over the years and I continue to discover new “gems”, places and delights. In April, I plan to include this detour.
Enjoy your Camino. My best wishes to you…

Thank you for this and for the info that you have. The responses to you had wandered off-topic a bit, but yours and Peregrina2000’s replies are most helpful - thank you again.

I’ve walked the section beyond Astorga 9 times in the past over the years and I continue to discover new “gems”, places and delights. In April, I plan to include this detour.
Enjoy your Camino. My best wishes to you…
Oh, please let me know what it’s like! I ended up deciding to pass on Carracedo because the website says that it’s closed on Monday, which is the day we’ll be the vicinity. So now I have another reason to go back!

hi @Shells

• I absolutely would recommend Santa Maria de Eunate (very small detour after Alto Perdon, once getting into Muruzabal there are signs to your left advising you to move that way). To some chagrin the Web Info suggests it is temporary closed (no idea why and when it may be open again).
  • re: Castro de Catromaior - i would not even call it a 'detour'. Once you leave the village of Castromaior, probably not even 300 meters on your left there is a wooded area and there is a sign for it - you can "enter" there. If by any chance you miss it - shortly there after you break out into the open and there is a small ridge if you will on your left (you practically are walking next to it). keep on walking until the ridge drops off and there is like another 'opening" and you can go that way (if you went in through that 1st entrance you can exit here and just get right on Camino road in stride). here are my photos and even one video which I took from the top of that ridge: Castro de Castromaior
  • if you look for Efrem Gonzales' newest Camino Frances videos on YouTube (I think he labeled them 2.0 - basically he starts at SJPdP and only goes to Logrogno as it is his final stage coming from Le Puy) - he comes up on an abandoned castle around Cizur Menor right after Pamplona
  • finally there is Castillo de Saracen in Vega de Valcarse, but it is one helluva steep climb (and hence coming back down - definitely not something to do in the dark!) technically "illegal" (in a bad state of disrepair) ... but what a view (even from the 1st row of parapets)!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I’m only walking from Ponferrada this year,
( I wish I were walking from St Jean again), but am so grateful for to be going back at all.

Anyway, I saw Castillo del Saracen from a distance as I was walking last year and was fascinated! Also, I somehow missed Castromaior last year, but I don’t intend to let that happen twice! I really appreciate your detailed directions and photos.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back