• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Muxia to Madrid on same day

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
Is it realistic to hope to get a bus from Muxia to Santiago and then transfer to a train to Madrid on the same day? I assume so, but not sure how reliable the buses are. Thanks to anyone for their thoughts.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't see why not. I think the Muxia bus leaves at about 6:00 am or 6:30am? (Check)
And it takes you to the bus/train station in Santiago.
It's about a 90 minute ride.
You can pre-purchase your ticket for the bus online.

Looking online it's 7:30 am. Might be Winter schedule.

When I have used it, it's about half full leaving Muxia.
Then half way or so it starts picking up locals and fills up.

I agree with @Robo. Take the early bus from Muxía which takes you to the intermodal (bus and train) station in Santiago. The bus from Muxía has been very reliable for me. One year I took r
the early bus from Muxía to Santiago, then got a bus from Santiago to Porto about an hour later.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is it realistic to hope to get a bus from Muxia to Santiago and then transfer to a train to Madrid on the same day? I assume so, but not sure how reliable the buses are. Thanks to anyone for their thoughts.
This is exactly what we are planning to do near the end of March (actually we may be returning to Santiago from Finisterre, not sure yet). But either way the morning bus from the coast should give us time to catch an afternoon high speed train back to Madrid. I would suggest buying the train tickets ahead of time, as many are sold out by the day of departure. Buen Camino!

This is exactly what we are planning to do near the end of March (actually we may be returning to Santiago from Finisterre, not sure yet). But either way the morning bus from the coast should give us time to catch an afternoon high speed train back to Madrid. I would suggest buying the train tickets ahead of time, as many are sold out by the day of departure. Buen Camino!
I believe there are more buses per day from Finisterre, which would make it simpler, but I’m hoping to finish in Muxia. Happy to hear others say it’s doable from Muxia.

I believe there are more buses per day from Finisterre, which would make it simpler, but I’m hoping to finish in Muxia. Happy to hear others say it’s doable from Muxia.
More buses from Finesterre, yes.. but far more people. The early bus from Muxia is very reliable and punctual.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We did the Muxia to Madrid trip in one day last week. Bus from Muxia at 6:15, then at train from Santiago to Madrid that arrived early afternoon. Used our Cercanias Combinado that (comes with the train ticket) gives you access to the Cercanias line in Madrid to get to our AirBNB apartment on the Gran Villa. If a university group from the US can do it, I think almost anyone can.

Do buy your ticket in advance if you can.
The train to Madrid was full and our bus was standing room only by the time we got to Santiago. We were the first and only ones boarding in Muxia. But that particular bus time picks up people working and going to school who live in the smaller communities outside Santiago.

Hi from Muxia! The Monbus buses from Muxía (and Fisterra) to Santiago intermodal are very reliable. No need to book tickets, pay on bus (though from Santiago to M or F you need to buy ticket from Monbus office upstairs in bus station). Train station is just 3 minutes from bus station walking, follow the painted line on the ground. Search monbus.es for schedules, note weekend times are different but there's always the early morning bus except on public holidays. Just the one bus stop in Muxía, on the harbourfront 150m west of taxi rank. Don't rely on the times posted at the bus stop, they aren't always kept current as the taxi driver cartel, except for Matt (Taxi No 6, he's a Brit, special prices for pilgs!) likes to confuse panicking pilgrims and charge them crazy prices.

Yes. Did it May 22. Secured packs at the bus/train station and had a few more hours in SDC and got the train to Madrid with enough light to see big chunks of the Sanabres we had completed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We did the Muxia to Madrid trip in one day last week. Bus from Muxia at 6:15, then at train from Santiago to Madrid that arrived early afternoon. Used our Cercanias Combinado that (comes with the train ticket) gives you access to the Cercanias line in Madrid to get to our AirBNB apartment on the Gran Villa. If a university group from the US can do it, I think almost anyone can.

Do buy your ticket in advance if you can.
The train to Madrid was full and our bus was standing room only by the time we got to Santiago. We were the first and only ones boarding in Muxia. But that particular bus time picks up people working and going to school who live in the smaller communities outside Santiago.
Very helpful, thanks very much. Once I have a better sense of what date I'll be there I'll go ahead and book my train ticket.

I need to be at Madrid Airport in the middle of the night. I may even push my luck and go from Muxia --> Santiago --> Madrid --> Madrid Airport all in the same day. I don't need to be at the airport til around midnight, so theoretically there shouldn't be a problem. Unless of course the Spanish rail system is prone to strikes or mechanical delays...

Your Cercanias ticket linked to your train ticket is good to the airport if you travel to Madrid. Just get off your train at Chamartin and walk to the Cercanias tracks which are down the stairs to the right past the lounge after exiting the secure area at Chamartin. Trains 1 and 10 go directly to the airport. Don't discard your train ticket as it has a QR code that is scanned as you exit at the airport. You need to travel within 2 or 3 hours after your train trip ends I believe.

This may allow you to take a cheaper and less busy bus and train to get to Madrid in the evening and then travel on to the airport for your late flight.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back