• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Muxia in 4 days

hikinggirl

Frances and Finesterre 2023 Norte and Muxia 2024
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September 2023
hello. Will be doing the Norte starting August 21st. Walked the Frances to Finesterre last year and this time would like to walk to Muxia but take our time doing it in 4 days and would prefer to stay in private accommodations. Would you recommend Santiago to Negreira to olveiroa to Dumbria to Muxia? Thank you.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I followed the stages recommended by the albergue Monte Aro.

It's before the Finisterre/Muxía split so you can go either direction.

Hi @hikinggirl, it is a good idea to stop in Dumbria and break the stage. You can sleep in Casa a Pichona ( close to the camino, just before Dumbria). Alternatively you can stop in A Grixa where there are more private accommodation's options.
You can use Forwalk webpage. It is a great resource with maps, information about the 4 different stages and a list of accommodation open along the Way. It will tell you how far off the Camino an accommodation is. You can also check reviews and book your accommodation in advance comfortably using this guide

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @hikinggirl, it is a good idea to stop in Dumbria and break the stage. You can sleep in Casa a Pichona ( close to the camino, just before Dumbria). Alternatively you can stop in A Grixa where there are more private accommodation's options.
You can use Forwalk webpage. It is a great resource with maps, information about the 4 different stages and a list of accommodation open along the Way. It will tell you how far off the Camino an accommodation is. You can also check reviews and book your accommodation in advance comfortably using this guide
Thank you very much! Will do exactly that. ☺️

Would you recommend Santiago to Negreira to olveiroa to Dumbria to Muxia?
In Olveiroa, since you prefer private places, I would highly recommend As Pias. It is the local place “de siempre” (pre-camino burst). It is a pensión and also the best bar/restaurante in Olveiroa. Lots of pilgrims there, of course, but lots of locals too. It’s charming — old stone building, white lace curtains. Maybe not as efficient or modern as the other places in town, so it depends on what you want. Whether you stay there or not, I would eat there - I’ve had some pretty bad meals in Olveiroa with a lot of menús del peregrino.

I know you said you wanted to stay in private places, but I think the Xunta albergue in Dumbría might be the exception. I’ve attached a picture It’s a modern, huge building, funded by the galego who started the Zara empire. Very nice facility with lots of common space and rooms with two bunks.

I’m not sure how to fit this into a four day walk into Muxia, but there is a monastery/hotel in Moraime right next to a romanesque church with some very nice capitals and doorways. It’s very close to Muxia, though.

Buen camino, Laurie

Attachments

• IMG_5880.jpeg
    IMG_5880.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
In Olveiroa, since you prefer private places, I would highly recommend As Pias. It is the local place “de siempre” (pre-camino burst). It is a pensión and also the best bar/restaurante in Olveiroa. Lots of pilgrims there, of course, but lots of locals too. It’s charming — old stone building, white lace curtains. Maybe not as efficient or modern as the other places in town, so it depends on what you want. Whether you stay there or not, I would eat there - I’ve had some pretty bad meals in Olveiroa with a lot of menús del peregrino.

I know you said you wanted to stay in private places, but I think the Xunta albergue in Dumbría might be the exception. I’ve attached a picture It’s a modern, huge building, funded by the galego who started the Zara empire. Very nice facility with lots of common space and rooms with two bunks.

I’m not sure how to fit this into a four day walk into Muxia, but there is a monastery/hotel in Moraime right next to a romanesque church with some very nice capitals and doorways. It’s very close to Muxia, though.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you and bless you! Booking as Pias asap!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I walked to Muxia (then Finisterra) this past June. Stopped in Negreira and O Logoso. Would have had problems stretching this route into four nights. Buen Camino.

We always take 4 nights to Muxia or Finisterre since we walked a very long day in 2008 in 35c plus .
The fires had just gone through and there was no respite from the heat.

Enjoy this closing section of your 1000 km walk and smile because you won't be on the first day after leaving Irun [lol]

Nice stay in Villaserio in 2018 ( Casa Vella ) which was first stop after Santiago ( yep I walk long distances carrying bag) and then to Cee ... then visit the Lighthouse and off to Lires ( As eiras) and then to Muxia where I stayed at Bela Muxia ('22).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nice stay in Villaserio in 2018 ( Casa Vella )
I think the most reasonable way to walk to Muxia in 3 days is to make the first night stop in Vilaserio. It’s about a 35 km day, but makes for an easy day 2 Dumbria. Not sure what the three-day stages would be to Finisterre, since I always walk to Muxia first. @markie6, did you walk to Finisterre? If so, what were your stages?

I’ve stayed both in Casa Vella and Pensión O Rueiro. Both have private rooms and an albergue, though some of the private rooms in Casa Vella are a little less private as they open up into the larger albergue. Casa Vella is a nice old stone building and O Rueiro has two buildings, a washing machine, and a newer more functional and less charming albergue.

If you stay there, I would recommend eating at the restaurant attached to the Rueiro rather than Casa Vella. If you have a large appetite, the meal served at Casa Vella is (or at least was several years ago) on the petite side. Rueiro isn’t gourmet food, but lots to fill you up.

I think the most reasonable way to walk to Muxia in 3 days is to make the first night stop in Vilaserio. It’s about a 35 km day, but makes for an easy day 2 Dumbria. Not sure what the three-day stages would be to Finisterre, since I always walk to Muxia first. @markie6, did you walk to Finisterre? If so, what were your stages?

I’ve stayed both in Casa Vella and Pensión O Rueiro. Both have private rooms and an albergue, though some of the private rooms in Casa Vella are a little less private as they open up into the larger albergue. Casa Vella is a nice old stone building and O Rueiro has two buildings, a washing machine, and a newer more functional and less charming albergue.

If you stay there, I would recommend eating at the restaurant attached to the Rueiro rather than Casa Vella. If you have a large appetite, the meal served at Casa Vella is (or at least was several years ago) on the petite side. Rueiro isn’t gourmet food, but lots to fill you up.
Santiago > Villaserio > Cee .. then early am to Lighthouse in 2018

Santiago > Negeira >Oliveroa > Cee > Lires (Via Lighthouse) > Muxia 2022

I'd missed the bit about private accomodations but those distances were fine for me.

hello. Will be doing the Norte starting August 21st. Walked the Frances to Finesterre last year and this time would like to walk to Muxia but take our time doing it in 4 days and would prefer to stay in private accommodations. Would you recommend Santiago to Negreira to olveiroa to Dumbria to Muxia? Thank you.
Walk past Negreira [ lunch there ] for 6 km ..........A Casa Do Forgo
First section is nice
As Pias
Second stage a fraction harder
Casa a Pichona , Dumbria
Enjoy this section in the back lanes
Bella Muxia ...........or go for it mate , you will never return ...The Parador
Lires [ plenty of options ] and just a beautiful day to reflect amongst the gums.
Finesterre [ more transport options ] after you have dined out on the board walk.

We walked through SDC in 08 , the coast was the finish .
We then returned and enjoyed the bigger city.
In SDC there might be 2 days when you interact with your mates from the last month of walking and with this in mind we stopped 20km prior to SDC , arrived early and had a great day / night with our fellow companions before heading off to Muxia.........slowly.

Enjoy the final days.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We walked Santiago to Muxia last spring in reverse, choosing five days total and used all private accomodations. This allowed more time to relax and enjoy our lovely pensions at the end of each day.
*Muxia, Dumbria, Quintans, Vilaserio, Ventosa, Santiago.

Last edited:
Yes, Laurie, we stayed at Casa A Pichona and it was a wonderful property and one of my favorites. I just looked on booking.com and see it has a 9.6 rating. I loved our room with a stone wall behind the twin beds, and the husband and wife team made a great full breakfast in the morning.
Sorry to have missed at least seeing the albergue that you loved.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back