• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino Prep

JenD

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on June 2017
Hi everybody! First of all just want to say that this forum is awesome!!(Thanks Ivar!) So much info. I am planning on a September 2016 Camino Frances. Needed to give myself time to save and prepare both physically and spiritually (but boy do I wish I was starting tomorrow!) On January first I began using the spiritual preparation materials from "A Closer Walk" which I found as a link to the Confraternity of Saint James site. It is a daily Bible reading. This approach is very important to me as I am doing the Camino for spiritual reasons, basically "God, what do you have in store for me and where should I be headed for the next half-century?" I am 50 now and have pretty much dealt with most of my demons through a lot of hard work and prayer. Now I'm ready to take my life in a new direction.

I have also been reading many posts on gear, blisters, etc...and taking good notes. I have set up Evernote software with different notebooks to keep everything in one place. It's working well.

Thank you to all of you veteran pilgrims who have provided so much info and advice. I'd love to correspond with anyone who is also preparing their Camino.

Buen Camino to all!
Jen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On January first I began using the spiritual preparation materials
Do the same for the physical. Start walking regularly. It won't hurt to lose weight; the equivalent of your pack weight might be a good goal. Find what makes your feet hurt. It is not a good idea to learn that for the first time on the Camino. With plenty of time to physically prepare, don't put it off to the last few months! Buen camino. :)

Jen, my wife and I are planning our journey for September of 2016 as well. Only from Sarria to Santiago de Campostela, but we are excited and have begun the planning, saving, purchasing of equipment, etc. We live by San Diego Ca. Feel free to message me if you would like.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Falcon, not everyone needs to lose weight. I am trying to fatten my husband up prior to our Camino Portugues in June, I'm frightened he might waste away!
Find the receipt of the Portugese dish Francesinha in YouTube and prepare it twice a week or more and he will fatten up .:)
Very tastefull too

Seems you are off to a good start. Any further questions you have, don't hesitate and fire away. Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Jen, my wife and I are planning our journey for September of 2016 as well. Only from Sarria to Santiago de Campostela, but we are excited and have begun the planning, saving, purchasing of equipment, etc. We live by San Diego Ca. Feel free to message me if you would like.
If you are starting in Sarria you really don't need to purchase much equipment. Save your money. You could almost use day backpacks.....and while I'd use good walking shoes (not flip flops), there isn't a need for serious hiking boots, clothes etc. if you are starting in Sarria

Hi everybody! First of all just want to say that this forum is awesome!!(Thanks Ivar!) So much info. I am planning on a September 2016 Camino Frances. Needed to give myself time to save and prepare both physically and spiritually (but boy do I wish I was starting tomorrow!) On January first I began using the spiritual preparation materials from "A Closer Walk" which I found as a link to the Confraternity of Saint James site. It is a daily Bible reading. This approach is very important to me as I am doing the Camino for spiritual reasons, basically "God, what do you have in store for me and where should I be headed for the next half-century?" I am 50 now and have pretty much dealt with most of my demons through a lot of hard work and prayer. Now I'm ready to take my life in a new direction.

I have also been reading many posts on gear, blisters, etc...and taking good notes. I have set up Evernote software with different notebooks to keep everything in one place. It's working well.

Thank you to all of you veteran pilgrims who have provided so much info and advice. I'd love to correspond with anyone who is also preparing their Camino.

Buen Camino to all!
Jen
Hi Jen.
I am planning my camino for the first of May this year, I have acquired all the equipment I need, I've got the pilgrim passport and can't wait until April 28th when my journey begins with my flight to Bordeaux, a night there and a train to SJPDP.. PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE..Good luck with your prep and planning..

If you are starting in Sarria you really don't need to purchase much equipment. Save your money. You could almost use day backpacks.....and while I'd use good walking shoes (not flip flops), there isn't a need for serious hiking boots, clothes etc. if you are starting in Sarria
May I ask then, what would we do with the clothing that we need to change into each day? sundries, etc. Day packs are typically quite small. We intend to be in Spain for 8-10 days total. I've heard of people sending their luggage(?) to the next village so it is waiting for them, but I don't fully understand that process. I've also heard the you can't send your luggage to an alburgues. Is this true? I'm still trying to figure out how best to accommodate my wife and I each night. Definitely want to have private quarters, but am also thinking that staying in nice hotels might remove me from the sentiment and "journey" that we wish to experience. Lots of questions. I have faith that whatever happens is meant to happen, but having a bit of a plan brings comfort to us.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've heard of people sending their luggage(?) to the next village so it is waiting for them, but I don't fully understand that process. I've also heard the you can't send your luggage to an alburgues. Is this true?
Municipal and parochial albergues do not accept backpacks. Private albergues can do what they want. Some accept backpacks. The process is to contact the transportation company in the evening and tell them where you bag is and where you want it to go. You leave the money in an envelope on the bag, and the bag appears at your next stop. It is pretty reliable.

It is different staying in hotels than staying in albergues. Only you can decide what the choice "removes" and what "we wish to experience.":)

May I ask then, what would we do with the clothing that we need to change into each day? sundries, etc. Day packs are typically quite small. We intend to be in Spain for 8-10 days total. I've heard of people sending their luggage(?) to the next village so it is waiting for them, but I don't fully understand that process. I've also heard the you can't send your luggage to an alburgues. Is this true? I'm still trying to figure out how best to accommodate my wife and I each night. Definitely want to have private quarters, but am also thinking that staying in nice hotels might remove me from the sentiment and "journey" that we wish to experience. Lots of questions. I have faith that whatever happens is meant to happen, but having a bit of a plan brings comfort to us.
If you invest in quick-dry clothes, you might only need 2 shirts and one pair of pants a piece. Y'all could get all of that in one backpack, then the other person carry the sundries. Meanwhile, send the rest of your clothes (for the rest of your time in Spain) ahead by mail to Santiago.

Also, there is a service that sends packs daily to your next (private) albuergue. And private albuergues felt, to me, the exact same as public ones in terms of experience (falcon is correct that hostels, etc, felt deifferent) While I never considered such a service because I was going the whole way with a big bag, for something like you are planning (something as short as Sarria to Santiago) it could be very helpful, just my .02. It's called Jacobean transport

Anyway to buy fast drying clothes is the solution. You can buy them in outdoor shops in all kind of prices and qualities.
We have 3 of these hemds. One to wear , two in the bagpack. We wash every day, let them dry overnight or next day sundrying hanging outside the backpack So the next day allways one is clean and if one is not dry yet ,let it dry another overnight. There are many packinglists on this forum. Last year 2014 we walked 8 days but took our 50 liter Osprey packs with us. total weight 7 kilos including the pack. Water we carried about 1 liter a day . We allways carry our backpack. In 2013 from Lisbon to Santiago. Coming may from Porto to Santiago. No sending the luggage ahead.
We do not like albergues so go for hostals,pensions, hotels and privat rooms via the AIRBNB app as we did in Lisbon, Porto and Santiago.
At this moment on this forum is a thread about the costs per day per person. Interesting to read
Look at the latest activities and you'll find it .

Buen camino

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
have I mentioned how awesome all of you are for taking time to answer these questions? it is seriously impressive, knowing that these questions have likely been asked in some form or another many many many times. you kindness and planning strategies are really appreciated.

Albertinho, I have looked at the You Tube video on making Francesinha...................I'm not trying to kill him just put some meat on his bones!

have I mentioned how awesome all of you are for taking time to answer these questions? it is seriously impressive, knowing that these questions have likely been asked in some form or another many many many times. you kindness and planning strategies are really appreciated.

David - and Jen -
I'm smiling reading your questions and the answers from beautiful pilgrims from just about anywhere in the world. I was in your shoes this time a year ago and finally walked the Camino Frances this past May/June. Although I never used the backpack transport service, many pilgrims did and it looked fairly simple once you get the hang of it. I think it really helped some people! I kept my pack to a maximum of about 17 lbs including food and water, so it got lighter as I went along each day.
Enjoy this time of planning and reflection (Jen - my pilgrimage coincided with my fiftieth year also) you'll find so quickly once on the Camino that so many of the fears and unknowns you feel now will just 'poof!' disappear. :)

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

There are baggage transfer services http://www.xacotrans.com/?lang=en along the Camino that can deliver your bag to the next town you want to walk to, in fact it gets cheaper after Sarria, it drops from €5-6 to €3 per bag, it would be cheaper to have your regular carry on luggage you might already own transported for €6 for both bags. 7 days X €6= €42, that would be cheaper than buying one backpack. Get a small daypack to carry water, food, and rain gear for each of you. Check in at the albergue when you get to your destination and pick up your bag.
Private albergues may have private rooms at additional cost, you can still meet up with fellow pilgrims for dinner.

Don't get too hung up on having to stay in Alburgues, We walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago and spent most night in private accommodation with our own bath and toilet. We still met lots of great pilgrims who only stayed in Alburgues and had lots of communal meals, we are still in contact with them six months later. Be outgoing, talk to other pilgrims on the trail, ask to join other pilgrims at dinner tables in restaurant's, most will welcome you to join them. It's going to be the greatest holiday you have ever had and it is your Camino, enjoy it however you like.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back