• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My equipment list, leaving in 5 days

Asel

Camino April 16/2016
Time of past OR future Camino
April 16, 2016
Hello everyone, thank you for this opportunity to share what I am taking with me and for your feedback. Here is the list:
Back Packer sleeping bag
Silk liner
Personal Pack Towel (for my hair)
Face cloth (for my body)
4 pairs of socks - 2 double layer ankle socks, 1 toe socks, 1 compression socks
Merrell boots
Croc flipflops for the evenings and showers
1 pair of quick drying pants
2 long sleep merino tops
1 merino tank top
1 short sleep cotton top (haven't found a merino one yet)
leggings to sleep in and for extra warmth on the road
Rain pant
Thin fleece gloves
Rainproof over glove
Hat with a brim
Deuter AC Aero 28 backpack
Chico Bag for evenings
Guide book
Sunglasses
Small shampoo and conditioner
Comb
Moisterizer
lip balm
Toothbrush
Tissue
Earplugs
Tea tree oil
safety pins
elastic (for make shift cloths line)
Scissors
Rain poncho
Back pack cover
mole skin
advil
glow stick
bandaids
flashlight
whistle

Please let me know your thoughts, it is much appreciated :).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm leaving next week too, our lists are similar. A couple thoughts: how about a fleece and/or lightweight wind jacket for layering? Do you need 2 long sleeve merinos? Do you need both a poncho and a pack cover? I'm debating the rain pants myself, tempting to leave them and save 8 ounces, but walking soaked from the thighs down for hours isn't much fun.
Hope you have a great walk!

HI Asel,
Looks good but not sure you need both a sleeping bag and silk liner. I'd go for the bag.
Also do you have a travel towel other than hair. I saw face cloth but not towel.
Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm leaving next week too, our lists are similar. A couple thoughts: how about a fleece and/or lightweight wind jacket for layering? Do you need 2 long sleeve merinos? Do you need both a poncho and a pack cover? I'm debating the rain pants myself, tempting to leave them and save 8 ounces, but walking soaked from the thighs down for hours isn't much fun.
You have some good points here - I think I will leave one of the merino long sleeve tops and the pack cover. I thought the rain pains could be another layer if it gets really cold. Thanks for your help, I hope to see you along the path. Buen Camino!

HI Asel,
Looks good but not sure you need both a sleeping bag and silk liner. I'd go for the bag.
Also do you have a travel towel other than hair. I saw face cloth but not towel.
Buen Camino.
The silk liner is so light that I thought it would be nice to have to keep the bed bugs away. The face cloth would be for my body, am I being optimistic here?

Looks very complete to me.

If you are planning to sleep in albergues, you might like to add a universal plug adaptor. It's just a flexible rubber disk that can't weigh more than an ounce, but an astonishing number of Spanish basins have lost their plugs, and it is really very difficult to wash and rinse clothes effectively without one.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I took just a rain poncho last Camino, at same date, 2012, as this year.(all I could find in S.India). I got hypothermia twice, worst was on the Mesita, wind blew rain sideways!! This Camino, bringing Quechua light weight rain jacket and pant. And built in light weight Pack cover, esp. good for sending ahead, if need/ want to.

a wind proof light jacket is most advisible thing to pack, keeps you warm in many climate changes

a wind proof light jacket is most advisible thing to pack, keeps you warm in many climate changes
I neglected to mention that I'm bringing a North Face shell with me which will be for warmth and light rain and I'll use the poncho if its pouring rain or really cold. I tend to overheat easily when I'm hiking but I have the layers just in case. I may find that I don't have enough clothes, I'll have to wash them almost everyday. My backpack is a 28 so not a lot of extra room which is just as well because I'm trying to keep the weight down. It is approximately 11 lbs right now. Thank you for your help.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I carry a smaller piece of tyre inner tube cut as plug replacement. Always bring two so I have one to give away within first few days. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would definitely keep the rain pants - besides what will you wear when you are laundering your hiking pants. I love mine and wore them even when not raining. I second ditching long sleeve merino top, ditto for cotton top, but I dont see a fleece listed? I dont use my rain cover, instead I line my backpack with a trash compactor bag, and never had wet gear. Ditch the chico bag and find a either a bum bag or a wallet with strap such as Eagle Creek has. I have merino wool stuff too, but do not plan on washing it every day - really, it doesnt retain odor and does not need to washed every day. Dont forget to account for water bottles 1L x2 bottles, and remember one liter of water weighs 1 kilogram or 2.2 lbs. If it is in your budget, replace the poncho and light rain jacket for a Gortex rain shell with pit zips
Buen Camino,
Janice

I would definitely keep the rain pants - besides what will you wear when you are laundering your hiking pants. I love mine and wore them even when not raining. I second ditching long sleeve merino top, ditto for cotton top, but I dont see a fleece listed? I dont use my rain cover, instead I line my backpack with a trash compactor bag, and never had wet gear. Ditch the chico bag and find a either a bum bag or a wallet with strap such as Eagle Creek has. I have merino wool stuff too, but do not plan on washing it every day - really, it doesnt retain odor and does not need to washed every day. Dont forget to account for water bottles 1L x2 bottles, and remember one liter of water weighs 1 kilogram or 2.2 lbs. If it is in your budget, replace the poncho and light rain jacket for a Gortex rain shell with pit zips
Buen Camino,
Janice
Hi Janice, thank you for your reply. Today is my 5th day on the Camino and I'm reflecting on everything hat I brought and I think it's pretty good so far. Rain pants have been handy for the reason you mention, the poncho has ripped already, I need a better quality one but it's great for ground cover when I stop on the path for a break. I use the 2nd long sleeve top in lieu of a fleece, I just found them so bulky. In all the pack is 13 lbs and seems to be working well for me. The inly thing I would change is to get a down sleeping bag, it's been quite cold so I'm using the sleeping liner, the bag, all my clothes and my coat.
Thanks again!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Asel, oh so you are on the Camino already. I love your packing list and have been comparing it with mine, which I must try to reduce. I am impressed with the weight, size of your pack, and good to know it is working out for you. Your list did remind me to bring my water repellent outer gloves - I do remember my gloved hands being cold and wet a few times on Camino Francis. If you are on the CF I think you may run into cooler days especially at higher elevations - it was snow and freezing rain end of May on my first Camino, and I had not packed a fleece. If you pass a sports shop consider buying a neck warmer or Buff and perhaps a warmer cap, although if you buy a Buff you can convert it into a hat.

Keep warm and dry
and
continued
Buen Camino,
Janice

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.