• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My experience

S

Sojourner47

Well, I'm back earlier than anticipated - knee trouble mainly, along with "le cafard"....
I started at St Jean, got as far as Najera before knee and sadness finally got to me.
The 2 big surprises: VERY crowded, and VERY FEW singles walking.
The albergues were filling up by 1300 - one day I had to walk another 12kms to Los Arcos, as Villamajor de Monjardin was completo early (as several of us had to) - so that was a 46km day.
Given that the responses to a much earlier question I asked on here -" do people walk alone from choice or necessity?" - were overwhelmingly that everyone starts out alone from choice - by far the majority of walkers were in couples or small groups, leaving me - the loner - somewhat isolated, hence le cafard. One is never so lonely as when in a group who are all sticking to themselves. OK, maybe it was me, but I did attempt to interact, without much success.
I anticipate the howl of protest this will engender, but that was my experience. Pilgrim comradeship was decidedly thin on the ground.
Another surprise was the noticeable lack of English pilgs - I met one other guy the first day out , lots of Irish, French, Germans and of course Spanish - even more Koreans and Japanese than Brits.
On a positive note, the walking was really good, scenery the best. The albs were generally better than I'd feared - I did get a nice hot shower and a good sleep every night. And the weather was brilliant for the first 4 days, rain and mist afterwards, but comfortable walking .
Conclusion (at the moment) - I will try to find a compatible companion next time (if there is a next time) .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola - I'm really sorry this has happened to you a second time. I think that physical problems on camino can really play havoc with our ability to enjoy the whole experience which is why I'd go to any lengths to avoid blisters etc. Clearly for future long distance walking you'll need to address the knee issues. But for now all the very best recuperating and hopefully we'll hear of your plans for another camino in future.

Best wishes

John

I am so sorry to hear about your recent experience. I am normally happy to walk alone, but really appreciated company from time to time. I don't know how I would handle it if there weren't companionable fellow pilgrims along the way.

I hope you are not permanently deterred.

Regards,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Sojourner47,
Sorry to hear about the knee. Have that problem myself so know a bit what it's like. Last time I walked it got by with only a couple of days of real trouble. I'm hoping it survives another camino in a few weeks. Also sorry to hear about your overall experience this time on the road, just to exacerbate the situation. However, very impressed with your heroic effort on the 46 Kim day, not sure my knee would survive that one.
Hopefully, you get the opportunity to have another more rewarding walk in the future
Buen Camino
Col

Hi, sojourner,

If nothing else, I wanted to add to the many good thoughts being sent your way. I am sorry that this was another disappointment for you. But maybe the third time is a charm, and so give yourself some time to heal and then see what you think.

I'm one of the ones who walks alone and hopes to find companionship along the way, but like you, I've had some experiences where I just couldn't find a group to latch onto. I don't mind being alone when I'm in an albergue all by myself, but it's no fun being all alone in a full albergue. I think mainly it's the luck of the draw, but of course the language is a huge factor as well. Your experience is a good reminder that pilgrim camaraderie needs to be seen in actions as well as words.

All the best to you, buen camino, Laurie

I re-walked the camino from Roncesvalles to Santiago in 2009, having done the same trip wonderfully in 2001. The second time was lonesome. I made a couple of friends, but nothing like the intense little family I found the first time. I was disappointed in the people aspect, but the solitude was what sent me onto the Camino Invierno... where I found a wonderful new trail!

I had no great revelations or breakthroughs. I still wonder why I kept going. I still wonder sometimes "what I got out of it." Maybe it was just a really long walk!

Someday I will understand.

Reb.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry to hear that your Camino came to an early end. I'm surprised that you found an absence of pilgrim comradeship. It certainly wasn't my experience when I walked alone. I found that people were usually very friendly (there are always exceptions to any rule) and while I walked by myself for much of the day, I would tend to see the same faces over and over again in the albergues.

Villamajor de Monjardín was just filling as I arrived to it last September and those that followed after me were left with the difficult choice of walking on or sleeping outside. Some walked but many slept out. Though given the open nature of the courtyard they all slept in, I doubt that it was an option this time of year. I don't envy you having walk an extra 12k to get a bed.

Hopefully when 'le cafard' has passed and the knees are well again, you'll reconsider the Camino.
Darran

What a sad Forum topic!
But perhaps it's a reminder to us all, to be positive and maybe even look out for the solitary pilgrim, and offer our friendship immediately.
My first camino was wonderful. I always walked alone, but looked out for company evenings and even at mid-day lunches.
I start my second camino in a fortnight.....and hope for the same good company I had last year.
Buen camino! [And to be a "buen camino" let's remember to welcome all pilgrims into our conversations!]
Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Hola Sorjourner,

Sorry to hear about your double whammy, but don't let it put you off for ever.

I too experienced loneliness but found it worse the time I started near Santiago as friendships had been already formed.
I too had to come home because of hip problems.

All in all it it little compared with what pilgrims of old had to contend with.!!

Let us who have read of your experience make every effort morning noon and especially evening to draw in any lone pilgrim. Better risking to get a brush off from someone who wants to be alone than to leave one person in need of company.

Let us try to make everyone's pilgrimage a Buen Camino

Lydia

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
One is never so lonely as when in a group who are all sticking to themselves.

That is so very true. I'm so sorry you have had such a negative experience, you were very unlucky with your walking companions.

Another surprise was the noticeable lack of English pilgs
This doesn't surprise me, on 4 caminos I have met only 2 English, I have met Americans, Australians and Irish but not that many of them. English is not the main language of the camino, except as the international language, it maybe that others did not feel comfortable chatting in English, they also would not have had the need if they were walking with companions, though it sounds like you speak French. It was very sad and not the spirit of the camino. I hope you soon feel better and manage to try again :)

i've just looked up where you walked from when the albergue was full. I suspect that it is easier to get to know people if you only walk 'single' stages as that is what most do, those who walk further on are likely to keep changing groups and therefore find it more difficult to get to know people. Just a thought.

Sojourner,
Sooo sorry to read your story....totally bummed me out. I'm sure that would have taken a toll on me mentally and emotionally big time. But, I'm really glad you posted it. This way I can be prepared for it & not think, "what is wrong with ME?" !!! It could happen to anyone, I guess. So thank you for sharing it with us. Also this gives me extra impetus to think of staying nights in not-so-popular places.

Every day I come on to these post to learn something new before going on my camino ( next year 2013)..thank you to all the veterans for their experiences and advise. I am certain that all who read appreciate greatly.

Today I learned and will remember....Stephen Nicholls words
But perhaps it's a reminder to us all, to be positive and maybe even look out for the solitary pilgrim, and offer our friendship immediately.

We are all drawn to a special place..El Camino...where there should be no language barrier..where all we have is each other and el camino .. remember to look out for each other, to talk to each other ...pelegrinos we all are..

Diana
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Stephen Nicholls said:
This is a good point, but in making the offer, one should also understand that some solitary pilgrims are seeking the moments of quiet reflection that comes from walking alone. I know that I find this, and I always hoped that I have the good grace to understand the kindness behind any offer to converse, while retaining the good manners to politely indicate my preference to walk alone at that specific time.

Regards,

Sorry to hear your Camino ended abruptly. Having started in Roncesvalles, I had to stop in Ponferrada because I caught a virus in Manjarín that left me very sick fore a month, so I know how you feel. It's frustrating.

Small wonder the albergue at Villamayor was full by 1PM: it's a small albergue, only 20 beds. It happens. I'm returning to the Camino next Tuesday :p , and this time around I made the decision NOT TO WORRY ABOUT NOT GETTING A BED FOR THE NIGHT. It means I am ready to sleep outside, go to a hotel or take a bus or taxi to the next town if everything is full, but I am NOT ready to walk another 12 km, specially if I have joint problems. I apologize for my sincerity, but I think that walking 40+ km on a single day with a bum knee is NOT very wise, and is a recipe for disaster.

I am also ready to walk alone (I'm going solo) which I rather enjoy, because I plan to walk LESS each day that the last time, shorter stages than most people, so I anticipate I will lose contact with whomever I become friends with along the way, which is fine and a reminder that life is impermanence.

In hindsight, I am almost certain I caught a virus in my first Camino because I was very debilitated from not respecting my physical limits. This is why I decided to go back, and do it differently this time.

I think you have more power and control over your own life than you seem to think. Perhaps if you had relaxed and not rushed, your knee would not give out. Then if you were not walking in pain, maybe you would feel happier, and then confraternization with other people would follow naturally, whether they were in groups or not. People travelling in groups or couples are as interested in meeting other people as singles -- in fact it is EASIER to make new friends when you're travel alone, because people assume that you would like company and approach you, whereas if you are already in company strangers may assume (wrongly in most cases) that you have no interest in other people.

I hope some day you go back. I have learned that the best moments in our lives are those when we don't expect much, so every good thing that happens is a bonus. I'm not even sure I will be able to finish this time again. I hope I will, but if I can't for whatever reason, that's just fine. The only thing I'm sure is that I intend to enjoy every moment, every good thing that comes my way. And I remember they were plenty! :D

I think that's the right attitude, bromeliad!
Take and enjoy whatever the camino offers.
Last year I was passed by a pilgrim who said "Hi! Can't stop - doing over 40kms today!" and disappeared over the horizon. I thought then - just look at all the wonderful things he's missing! Did he see that river in the valley? Could he hear those birds singing? And all those ancient churches - he went steaming past all of them!
I always travel alone and prefer it that way, as I'm very slow, take loads of photographs, talk to the animals - and even to the swallow tail butterflies - and offer up a prayer whenever the mood takes me. But I also appreciate a short conversation [or sometimes a long one in the evening] with fellow pilgrims. Then, after a bit, I always say "Off you go! You walk faster than me!" and return to my preferred solitude. It is solitude, not loneliness!
Each to his own, but remember the camino is not a race. So walk and enjoy!
Buen camino!
Stephen

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Stephen Nicholls said:
I think that's the right attitude, bromeliad!
Take and enjoy whatever the camino offers.
Last year I was passed by a pilgrim who said "Hi! Can't stop - doing over 40kms today!" and disappeared over the horizon. I thought then - just look at all the wonderful things he's missing! Did he see that river in the valley? Could he hear those birds singing? And all those ancient churches - he went steaming past all of them!
I always travel alone and prefer it that way, as I'm very slow, take loads of photographs, talk to the animals - and even to the swallow tail butterflies - and offer up a prayer whenever the mood takes me. But I also appreciate a short conversation [or sometimes a long one in the evening] with fellow pilgrims. Then, after a bit, I always say "Off you go! You walk faster than me!" and return to my preferred solitude. It is solitude, not loneliness!
Each to his own, but remember the camino is not a race. So walk and enjoy!
Buen camino!
Stephen

I agree Stephen.

As you know have walked the Camino Frances in its entirety seven times. The terrain may have been the same but the realities were greatly varied. Although each Camino began with both anticipation and trepidation as I wondered how it all would go, each pilgrimage developed its own rich mix of old friends and new, realities of weather, stamina and health and, of course, private philosophical musings and thanksgiving. Walking past extraordinary structures or humble abodes, breathtaking vistas or chaotic sprawl, magnificent sculptures or simple symbols the actual topography and weather often dominated my immediate reactions. Was the Camino going uphill? Sliding down on scree? Crossing water? How fast was the traffic? How thick was the mud? Was it raining? Would the ice melt? How deep was the snow? Could I see through the storm? What was tomorrow's forecast? When could I sit?

Luckily this complex blend of banal and superb was often tempered by the gracious kindnesses of those along the way who offered smiles, hugs, water, conversation, help and hospitality. Such pleasant chance encounters and instant friendships are part of the Camino's serendipity! We pilgrims share our journeys, hopes and fears. We may stop at the same bar for a coffee and sleep in the same co-ed dorm but in no sense do we move as a single force! Each of us creates a particular pattern moving along.

And thus the Camino is composed of all these pilgrims' patterns; the multitude of these individual units together form a whole. We try to take it as it comes enjoying the good and bearing the bad. After all this is life. Thankful at the end of each day for simple shelter, a bed (preferably a bottom bunk for me), working toilet, hot shower, something to eat and if possible good companionship. Carpe diem!

Margaret

I probably averaged 20 km a day on my Camino last summer. This was not nearly the mileage I anticipated logging each day before I got there. I thought I'd walk a lot more each day. But it was difficult at times, and I am glad I didn't "kill" myself trying to do too much. I met a number of wonderful people during the first week, and wound up spending a lot of time with them. We would walk sometimes together, sometimes separately, and usually reunite at an albergue or a rest stop somewhere. My primary walking companion and I decided quickly that stopping in between regular stages in the early afternoon was the way to go. Two or three times, we stayed in large, crowded municipal albergues, and we much preferred to stay in the smaller, out-of-the-way places, avoiding the crowds. And, in the end, it was the lasting friendships I made with a man from Spain, a woman from Denmark, a woman from England, another from South Africa, and a couple from Norway that proved the most meaningful part of my trip ...

Hi Sojourner
hmmm - not so good. think I know at least partly what you've been through.
Like, Reb, my first camino (nov/dec) was an exhilarating succession of wonderful things and supportive people. So much so that I got lazy and assumed everything would fall into place the same way the second time. But missed trains, no first night accommodation (U2 playing in Seville), greater than expected heat, too heavy pack and inability to communicate veggie needs - all pretty soon translated into anxiety, inability to eat and hacking cough and added to this a couple of nights alone in grimy uncared for accommodation. Finally the way the mud sticks to your boots after Zafra, meant it was all getting a bit too close to Bunyan's 'slough of despond'.
After 9 days I tried to give up and re-book my flight, but even that went wrong (don't ask!). Then everything changed.
A Mallorcan couple (walking VdlP) for their honeymoon, tried to lift my spirits
and shortly afterwards an Italian father and daughter convinced me to walk three more days with them before making a decision. We met others - couples and singles and gradually formed an indomitable band aged between 19 and 76 years.

So what can I say? so much luck is involved, but take every opportunity to put yourself in its path. Perhaps review your timing and/or route (Primitivo, although more hilly, has a more genial laid-back atmosphere). And (if only I could take my own advice!) when things go against you, you need the mindset of a doubleglazing salesperson - forget the previous days' and weeks' knockbacks and start afresh each morning.
It is worth persevering, honestly. We've been there, we are rooting for you and we want to hear how you eventually cracked it!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Villamaior has bus and taxi service, and virtually every bar on the Camino can summon a taxi. I personally would not walk 46 km on an injury and risk ending my walk. The purity of saying I walked every inch would lose out to the desire to do what I could within my personal physical limits.

Sojourner,

Thank you for being so courageous to post this for us all. Physical fatigue or a knee injury can be " cured " by taking some rest, but when le cafard creeps in , it's all together a completely different situation.
Good to hear that you had a positive feeling about the albergues and that you enjoyed nature around you.
I read your posts about the CI and I do hope you will think back about that particular Camino as a joyous and positive experience.
And remember : " It's ALL good ! ".

I totally agree with Lydia
"Let us who have read of your experience make every effort morning noon and especially evening to draw in any lone pilgrim. Better risking to get a brush off from someone who wants to be alone than to leave one person in need of company."

I also walked alone, but my nature is rather extraverted so I too started talking with " single " people and yes sometimes I got a brush off ( fair deal ) but most of the times we had a nice conversation ( some short, other longer, some superficial, others more intense ..).

Take care.

Hi Sojournerб

Let me express my sympathy. I hope you will accomplish your Camino next time. Try to look at that situation from other point of view. I’m sure that God gives us a lot of signs every day. Unfortunately we don’t give a penny about those signs and majority of us even cannot notice those signs. Who knows maybe something horrible waited for you further on your way but you succeeded to avoid that because of your trauma. People who were at the war know that. So, try to think on that and say thanks to our Lord.
I’m sure one day you will accomplish your Camino.

Sincerely,
Oleg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sojourner,
my sincere condolences, it must be tough to stop even with your troubles.

I´m out here on my own at present and agree, far fewer English than I'd expected though an enormous spread of english speakers. And lots of quite large, self contained groups who can certainly swamp the Albergue if not the whole day.

I´m not gregarious, don´t do crowds, but do enjoy quiet conversation and mutuality. Shame we didn't coincide. My very best to you for next time.

Hello Sojourner,

Thank you for your honesty. So sorry to hear your journey ended earlier than expected.

I am planning my journey for July or Aug. and appreciate knowing that I may be alone for the entirety of the Camino.

I hope you knee is well on it's way to recovering. Take care and thank you for sharing.

Namaste
Wendy

Travelling at quieter times can sometimes bring more companionship, in the way that people are friendlier in small places where company is scarce. I live in the bush, and I have to get out of the habit of waving and winking at strangers when I go to the city. In Paris, you don't even make eye-contact!

The quieter, cooler months are the only ones I could ever contemplate for a Camino, so that might be worth considering. Rest is a priority with me. No pain, all gain!

Another good point has been made. Our willingness, right now, wherever we are, to make a contact or form some connection with someone is probably the foundation for the future camaraderie we will want on our travels.

I'm starting to sound deep, so I'll stop now.

Best

Rob

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sojourner, i'm sorry for your bad experience.

Something similar happened to me on my first Camino. On my 6th day, i walk 32 km to Vianna. It was my first time i was walking such a distance. But when i came to Vianna, i found out there is no bed for me. It was shock. But i really wanted to be a "real pilgrim" and i didn't want to take a taxi or bus. I decided to walk another 10 km to Logrono. Ok, i wasn't alone, i walk with my Camino walking fellow. But ... it was a mistake. I came to Logrono at 20.00. And in the first alberg in Logrono they said to me: "Sorry there is no place for you!" I found a bed in second alberg, but hospitaliera was very unkind to me and my fellow. She stand in front of us, knocked on her watch saying: "You need to go to sleep now.That is the rule!" And next morning she was knocking to his watch again saying: "You need to go now. Thats the rule!"
And all we wanted was treat a huge (i mean really huge - big as my palm) blister on the foot of my camino fellow. I was really close to end my Way.
But ... luckily i was so in love with Camino, i didnt care for long. And i manage to walkt all the way to Santiago.

My first Camino was lonely too. Somedays i was desperate wish to have a friend or just someone to talk to. But... i guess i needed loneliness to find out things about me. And now im greatfull for that precious moments.
And my walking fellow was someone who remind me so much to my horrible ex boyfriend. Can you imagine how difficult was this for me? She somehow decided to walk with me all the way. And i wasn't capable to say: "No, i dont want walk with you!" Camino is not getting what you want, but what you need. And i guess i needed to make my life after Camino better and more beautifull.

On my second camino - i just couldn't wait to this lonely moments - but guess what. On the way i heardly find a moment just for me. It was completely different. Full of friendly people, who helped me a lot (i have problems with my feet, i cant walk).

I really hope you walk camino again someday. Because is worthed.

Buen camino.

WendyL said:
I am planning my journey for July or Aug. and appreciate knowing that I may be alone for the entirety of the Camino. Wendy

Hi Wendy!
There's no way you'll be alone for the entirety of the camino! There will be lots of other pilgrims to talk to - especially if you're doing the Camino Frances. The last 'magic' 100 kms of the path may well be quite busy.
I always walk alone by choice - but love the company of other pilgrims from time to time. I love a chat! Then I say to them "You go on ahead - you're faster than me!"
Last year on the Camino Portuguese I met no other pilgrim from England. But so many of them spoke English that chatting was a pleasure ... especially after a couple of glasses of vino.
In ten days I'm off on the Via de la Plata from Salamanca: pilgrims may be few at the beginning, but that's fine ... I will take whatever opportunities I get to talk to anyone on the camino.
So - have a good camino - Buen Camino!
Stephen

Sorry to hear that, Sojourner.
And hoping you won't give up yet!?

I had (as I had expected) a very lonely Baztan way - and (not as I had expected) I simply did not meet one single other pilgrim --- until Pamplona!
What a "cultural shock" : from having the albergues just for me to share the night's sleep with another hundred pilgrims.
I felt very lonely as well surrounded by all the other unknown people who had already shared some days and experiences together...
I do perfectly understand you.

My very first camino (the Frances), I started with a friend of mine. It was just perfect. We could reassure ourselves mutually, have some crazy laughter to digest a very bad night, not feel "bad" (timid, not at ease) because alone and surrounded by many pilgrims knowing each other...
When she left, I felt great; and some of the other pilgrims we had met together invited me to join them for a talk, a walk or a dinner. It was simply extraordinary!
But it would have taken so much more time feeling good when starting alone...

All the best, whatever decision you might take!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks guys - what can I say?
I confess I have avoided the forum since my last post - afraid, almost, of the reaction - how stupid is that? I have posted before about le cafard, my depression, and overcoming it - it does take a while to get over it all but it does eventually pass.
It wasn't all bad, by any means - the walking itself was good - the scenery spectacular, especially across the Pyrennes. As I said, the albergues were a lot better than I'd feared - clean beds,hot showers and a fairly good night's sleep, even though crowded. Maybe I was expecting too much?
I am rather a loner, and content with my own company when walking during the day, but it was a bit depressing to be alone in a crowd in the evenings, when all around were socialising. Haha, I want to have my cake and eat it.....
But the first evening at L'esprit du Chemin was brilliant, I can't recommend it enough.
Whinge over.
Now that I'm back in circulation, on the forum, maybe I'll start planning the next try - I do hate to be beaten!!
BTW,and thanks for asking, the knee seems OK now, after rest/strapping up/doctor's visit.
Le cafard might take a bit longer.....

Thank you so much for posting this. I am so sorry for this "challenging" experience and do hope you try again.
I will be doing my first full Camino starting in st Jean in late august. I have read so many great posts on this forum but I did get the impression that it was a very friendly group and even though I will start alone I was "assuming" I’d have lots of folks asking me to join them esp. for dinner. I too have gone on other hikes with groups who were in couples or smaller subgroups that stayed to themselves and so even with a group of 11 I was sometimes left out.

It is really good to know this is a possibility on the Camino so I don't expect to be asked to join folks all the time (but I sure hope at least some of the time)

and if it was VERY crowded in late march early April does that mean it will be even busier in late august & September when I do my Camino???

It is good to know I can take a taxi or bus to another town if places fill up and I could always reverse that to restart where I left the trail if that becomes very important to me.

Again thank you for this post---not every Camino will be a totally positive experience but all will be a worthwhile experience

Just a small afterthought.
No-one I encountered had a forum patch on their pack, indeed, apart from the only Englishman I met -on the first day - no-one had even heard of this forum, including the 20 others (none English, but several English speakers) I met at L'esprit on the first evening, so it is really a very small sample of the camino experience.
I admit I thought the forum view would be replicated on The Way, especially after my original post about pilgrims travelling alone from choice or necessity was answered so overwhelmingly in favour of "choice".....

One of the miraculous things in life is what slight thing adds its weight at the tipping point and has profound consequences in our lives. A smile and a nod from a fellow sojourner reminds us that we are not alone and encourages us to continue on our way, and we do. In the absence of that smile we lose our way and our hope and our journey is over.

I will be on the Camino Sept 25, I hope to see you there.

... maybe I'll start planning the next try - I do hate to be beaten!!

Great attitude.

We had a false start in Pamplona a couple of years ago. Finishing after one day was emotionally devastating. We saw Spain for a month, recovered our emotional strength then, because we hate to be beaten, returned to the Camino to do the section from Sarria, which we completed. In 2013 we're planning to leave from St Jean and complete the full walk. We learned about what we did 'wrong for us' the first time and are going to do our second Camino and up the ante.

A friend of mine has a poster on his wall: "Don't be beaten, be awesome". Love it.

Buena suerte amigo.

Jason. :D

Sojourner47 said:
Just a small afterthought.
No-one I encountered had a forum patch on their pack...
I did and nobody recognised it. Or maybe they recognised me and decided to avoid at all costs! :D
Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Re: forum patches. I suspect that some folks had forum patches on their packs when I walked, but when you have to cover your pack with the rain cover every day they are not visible. Maybe a second patch sewn on to the rain cover would help. I did, however, meet many lovely peregrinos/peregrinas on the way even without the forum connection.

I had the patch on my pack last year, one pain day it was covered out of 40 days, i met no forum members, i even offered to by a forum member a drink if we met on the way, it was a safe offer:)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?o2naiw

It's very interesting to read this post in the context of one's own personal experience.

After starting at SJPdP, it was very frustrating for me to have to stop near Burgos with a stress fracture of my lower left shin, particularly as this meant not being able to continue on with my two walking colleagues who I had met at L'Esprit and with whom I had forged a strong bond having crossed the Pyrenees in 18" of snow at the summit, and at another stage having to carry two packs for some 2k to get to the next albergue when one of my friends became ill.

In some ways I had been thinking for a while that my camino had been too comfortable with all the support I was enjoying and with a fluent Spanish speaker among the trio. I also wanted to make faster progress towards Santiago and had been subconsciously considering moving ahead to get out of the comfort zone, then suddenly I was having to let them do so.

It was at this point that my camino experience became very different. Lame in one leg and painfully hobbling the 4k between Belorado and Tosantos with a view to deciding then whether to rest up for the day or catch the bus into Burgos and retire, I then found myself alone when it would have been good to have had someone to talk to. Everybody passing seemed reluctant to engage in any dialogue, possibly because my pace, or rather lack of it, would only have served to slow them down.

Isn't it always the same, when you've got it you take things for granted and think you want something different; in the words of the song, 'you don't know what you've got till it's gone'.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
texastrekker said:
It is really good to know this is a possibility on the Camino so I don't expect to be asked to join folks all the time (but I sure hope at least some of the time)

and if it was VERY crowded in late march early April does that mean it will be even busier in late august & September when I do my Camino???

I'm also doing my first camino (solo) around the same time. I enjoy my time alone but part of the reason why I've chosen to do this is for the communal aspects of it. I am hoping to make friends as I go along. I got my forum patch the other day in the mail and have sewn it on my lime green pack. Please say hello if you see me along the way.

I will make a pount to say hello to any forum member on my way

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Like you I walked alone, last autumn all the way from SJPP and for me it was brilliant. However, it sounds as though you had a hard time but who said it should be easy? I wonder if you smiled and laughed enough; it is irrestible to others and helps to make friends so easily. Why did you want to meet English people especially as they are in such short supply; there are plenty of other wonderful nationalities on the trail.
I do speak a couple of other languages a bit but my experience was that there were plenty who could speak some English and if I spoke a little of their language we all got along fine. Part of the richness of the camino in my view was meeting so many wonderful pilgrims from all round the world.
I have to agree with you about groups though. I think many who travel in groups are actually frightened - frightened of being alone, foreigners,being attacked, not knowing what to do in an emergency, losing their way etc, etc. They are to be pitied (and helped if necessary). However I am subversive by nature and I could usually find someone in a group who wanted out even if only for a short time. The leader of one group told me that having seen so many of us on our own he realised that that was the way to do it properly; he was he felt on a tourist stroll by comparison. Please don't give up because I bet you got more out of it than most other pilgrims. I found that only when you are thrown onto your own resources entirely, without the support of taxis, booked accomodation or someone to carry your kit, and especially the inner resources of your mind, can you truly say you are a pilgrim and it is then that the camino works its wonderful magic.
Life is not a bed of roses but there are some wonderful roses around though and there a stack of them on the camino.
Buen Camino for the next time. All the best. Richeyboy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You are right, Pieces, they don't need my pity and I shouldn't have used that word.
What I should have said was that I met several singletons last Autumn who had originally done the camino in a group and wanted to try it on their own and were finding the experience deeply liberating.
So occasionally when I was able to talk to people in groups I shared those experiences with them. Judging by the usual reaction I don't think I was very convincing.
I think that you can do the camino anyway you like - there are no rules and no way is better than any other way. It is up to every person to work out for themselves what they want to do.
Didn't mean to upset you or anyone else - sorry.
Buen Camino Richeyboy.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back