• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My First Camino!

benrie

It is strange how some journeys start, had no idea what a Camino was three weeks ago, Now I am completely consumed by the idea of this fantastic trip.From what I have gathered people return from the Camino with positive experiences,in my case the positives have already started piling up.
Looking forward to meeting fantastic people from all around the world.
The plan is to do a part of the camino del norte, to be precise from gijøn/Leon to Santiago in about 15-16 days(Aug26-sep14), I have no Idea which of these two is better?
The first of many qustions is whether this is a realistic goal!
Are there any good guidebooks one can reccomend?

Dont want to get bogged down with too many questions,.........
I am immensely happy to be part of this fantastic communinty and forum.

Peace and Joy

Richie :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is a fantastic experience! If you want to temper your enthusiasm with some reality, I suggest that you read the following blog. It is a minority experience being described, but you rarely hear the negatives, and don't see the two dozen hopeful pilgrims that take the train home daily from St. Jean Pied de Port having quit on the first day.

Have fun!

http://karlascamino.wordpress.com/

benrie said:
The plan is to do a part of the camino del norte, to be precise from gijøn/Leon to Santiago in about 15-16 days(Aug26-sep14), I have no Idea which of these two is better?

Hi, good luck to you on which ever one you decide. If you do decide on the Norte could i suggest that you might consider Oviedo rather than Gijon as a starting point. It is longer by about 4km but the advantage is that if you dont lose the arrows you will not have to walk on dual carriageways which are the feature of the Gijon to Aviles route. There is a also a pilgrim hostel in Oviedo, the one for Gijon is on the other side of it, about 5 km out of town on a campsite. This website http://www.mundicamino.com gives details of the Oviedo to Aviles route. You have language options at the top, the advantage of sticking with spanish is they give you more detailed directions. Pick the Norte(or Northern Way) and go to etapa 21(Oviedo to Aviles).

Good luck

Mike

Just to say i had a look at my post to see if the directions worked, i noticed that Mundicamino doesnt list the pilgrim hostel in Aviles, there is one, it is quite big, a bit shabby but it was very welcoming.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
falcon269 said:
It is a fantastic experience! If you want to temper your enthusiasm with some reality, I suggest that you read the following blog. It is a minority experience being described, but you rarely hear the negatives, and don't see the two dozen hopeful pilgrims that take the train home daily from St. Jean Pied de Port having quit on the first day.

Have fun!

http://karlascamino.wordpress.com/

As I've observed before Karla's expereince is now considerably out of date and there have been no other such experiences reported that I have come accross. I also just don't believe there are two dozen hopeful pilgrims who quit on the first day.

I watched the ones giving up limp to the platform at St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port the morning after I arrived there on the Le Puy route. I admit that I don't know what happened the other 364 days that year, so I confess to extrapolating the data, which is very close to fabricating of the data. Still, I think many hopes are dashed on the first day of climbing up. Karla's experience is unique, but you can find similar tales by Tim-the-Canadian and Kaybee Travels in these pages. Not everyone has a great time, and hearing their stories allows prospective pilgrims a perspective that may help them avoid some pitfalls. I hope that I never discourage a pilgrimage.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back