• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My First Camino

EmmaR

Time of past OR future Camino
planned walking in July 2019
Hi, i'm Emma Rough from Perth, Australia :) . I arrive in SJPDP on July 14th, ready to start my first walk on the Camino. Feeling excited but somewhat nervous.

Looking forward to the journey and this incredible experience...wondering if anyone else out there is arriving around this time? Any advice would be amazing please...

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do not have any expectations. Let the journey unfold in its own way, in its own time. Embrace every new day and live that day to the full. Be open to what ever the journey presents you with. Be prepared to change, to wonder, to challenge what ever you thought was important. You are on one of life's adventures and there may be much to learn. And finally remember that the journey is more important than the destination.

Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do you know how it feels to float in a calm sea, just slowly drifting on the gentle rolling waves?
You can achieve the same feeling when walking....

Buen camino

By the way: do you know Cressey Wallwork (also a pilgrim from Perth)

Enjoy and Buen Camino!

Hi, i'm Emma Rough from Perth, Australia :) . I arrive in SJPDP on July 14th, ready to start my first walk on the Camino. Feeling excited but somewhat nervous.

Looking forward to the journey and this incredible experience...wondering if anyone else out there is arriving around this time? Any advice would be amazing please...
Welcome, I wish that you will find what you seek. If you are tempted to climb the hill when you have the choice, at Zabaldika, I would be very happy to meet you as I will be there on duty from 14th till 21st, at the church.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Aiden's response speaks for myself and most pilgrims who have journed before you. We all had our first experience . . . . excited yet anxious of what was to come. As for myself, I simply took on the Camino for the challenge and to this day, I grapple with what I experienced and how it subtly but propounded changed me. It's an extraordinary journey, savior every moment.

Hi Emma - I'll be arriving in SJPDP on 13 July but walking straight through to Orisson that day to start my 5th camino. Some great advice on here. The comment that most resonated with me before my first camino - 'prepare but don't plan'. Maybe we'll see you out there - enjoy!

David (from Sydney)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hello Emma from Perth! Fancy meeting another Perth person on the web, so far from home!!! I am currently walking the south west coast path in the UK. But I did Camino Frances a couple of time and enjoyed both immensely. You will love it if you can cope with the high heat in July August, especially in the middle part of the trip along the Meseta. I assume you are in touch with the Perth Camino group? Good luck. Have a fabulous time.

Hello Emma from Perth and David from Sidney. Welcome in the monastry of Roncesvalles where I will be one of the hospitaleros in that period. Enjoy your walk over the Pyrenees, start early, don't carry too much stuff with you and drink lots of water!

Aiden's response speaks for myself and most pilgrims who have journed before you. We all had our first experience . . . . excited yet anxious of what was to come. As for myself, I simply took on the Camino for the challenge and to this day, I grapple with what I experienced and how it subtly but propounded changed me. It's an extraordinary journey, savior every moment.

Let me echo an earlier response about preparation . . . Don't over-plan; take the minimal amount of clothing and gear. Wash as you go. Pack weight is a killer - remember you're walking 500 miles and it can take its toll. There are plenty of blog entries that offer sound advice. Same for water. There are plenty of opportunities to replenish your water so think about starting your day with 1-2 liters and re-fill as you go (bars, alburge's, village fountains). Cheerio!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back