• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My five minute, 'Gentle, In Bed Stretches'

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
Having been in rehab many times over the years I have, with the help of Doctors and Physios, developed a set of gentle stretches with which to start the day. I start the day in bed. When Caminoing I do these again once I've checked in to my accommodation for the night. They are done lying flat on my back in bed, without a pillow, and take less than five minutes.
The stretching progression is designed so that I start at my toes and work my way up to my head, which makes them easy to remember and to do in sequence.
There is only nine of them, they are all easy, and take me only 15 seconds each.

While they are simple, I do them gently and carefully. If I cramp up I stop immediately, relax until I uncramp, then resume.
I hold each position while I count slowly to 15, then gently relax.

The first 4 stretches I do with my hands folded across my chest.
1. I point my toes downward firmly, to stretch the front muscles of my feet/ankles.
2. I pull my toes back upwards firmly.Then push backs of knees down to the mattress to stretch my calf muscles.
3. I clench my front thigh muscles.
4. I clench my buttocks and rise up on them.

The next 3 stretches I do with my hands linked behind my head.
5. I press my lower back into the bed and raise my shoulders a little off the bed.
6. Keeping my butt and shoulders on the bed, I gently attempt to raise my lower back off the bed just a little way.
7. I press my head back gently into the bed while attempting to lift it up with my hands.

For the next stretch I place my fingertips on my forehead.
8. I gently press on my forehead with my fingertips while attempting to raise my head off the bed.

Now for the last stretch.
9. I hold my arms raised a little way over my chest and firmly clench my biceps and fingers. This means my chest muscles are tightened also.

And that’s it. Easy as. All done in under 5 minutes.
I find it best to concentrate and move from one stretch to the next fairly quickly. This eliminates day-dreaming and ensures it’s all done within the 5 minute timeframe.

If I have areas in need of specific immediate attention I’ll add stretches for those.
Example
On the Camino I sometimes needed to ‘hold on’ until the next toilet or suitably screened area.
This stretch works for both boys and girls the doctors tell me. Works for me anyway.
Pull up from below, squeeze and hold. This is like holding in pee, or stopping a pee once it has started.

Regds
Gerard

Ps. You’ll note that I am not actually encouraging anyone to do these stretches, just explaining what I do. That’s because I’m afraid that someone will do these stretches after which their head, or an arm, or a leg, will fall off.
Then they would sue me for a million dollars. Cause I haven’t got a million dollars I’d have to go bush to hide from the law, and wander the outback in a loin cloth, chasing kangaroos with a spear, and eating lizards cooked over a campfire.
Don’t want that to happen, do I?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Having been in rehab many times over the years I have, with the help of Doctors and Physios, developed a set of gentle stretches with which to start the day.
I start the day in bed.

So these are my ‘Gentle, In Bed Stretches’. They take less than five minutes.
The stretching progression is designed so that I start at my toes and work my way up to my head, which makes them easy to remember and to do in sequence.
Up the body the sequence goes. Feet/ankles, calves, thighs, buttocks, abs, back, neck, neck, arms/chest.
There is only nine of them, they are all easy, and take me only 15 seconds each.
They are done while I’m lying flat on my back in bed without a pillow.

While they are simple, I do them gently and carefully. If I cramp up I stop immediately, relax until I uncramp, then resume, but less firmly.

1. I point my toes downward firmly, to stretch the front muscles of my feet/ankles.
I hold while I count slowly to 15, then slowly relax.
2. I pull my toes back upwards firmly, to stretch my calf muscles.

5. I press my lower back into the bed and raise my shoulders a little off the bed.
6. Keeping my butt and shoulders on the bed, I gently attempt to raise my lower back off the bed just a little way. I hold while I count slowly to 15, then slowly relax.
7. I press my head back gently into the bed while attempting to lift it up with my hands. I hold while I count slowly to 15, then slowly relax.

8. I gently press on my forehead with my fingertips while attempting to raise my head off the bed. I hold while I count slowly to 15, then slowly relax.

9. I hold my arms raised a little way over my chest and firmly clench my biceps and fingers. This means my chest muscles are tightened also. I hold while I count slowly to 15, then slowly relax.

I find it best to concentrate and move from one stretch to the next fairly quickly. This eliminates daydreaming and ensures it’s all done within the 5 minute timeframe.

If I have areas in need of specific immediate attention I’ll add stretches for those.
Example
On the Camino I sometimes needed to ‘hold on’ until the next toilet or suitably screened area.
This stretch works for both boys and girls the doctors tell me. Works for me anyway.
Pull up from below, squeeze and hold. This is like holding in pee, or stopping a pee once it has started.
I like to do this more than once, so I do it 3 times; at the start, after the 4th stretch, and again at the end.

Regds
Gerard

Ps. You’ll note that I am not actually encouraging anyone to do these stretches, just explaining what I do. That’s because I’m afraid that someone will do these stretches after which their head, or an arm, or a leg, will fall off.
Then they would sue me for a million dollars. Cause I haven’t got a million dollars I’d have to go bush to hide from the law, and wander the outback in a loin cloth, chasing kangaroos with a spear, and eating lizards cooked over a campfire.

Thank you for this Gerard. On the camino last year, I often went to sleep in great pain. As I'm doing it again this year with my hubby, I'm dreading that bit! So I've bookmarked these exercises, and will give them a shot. If they don't work, I'll sue you for a million dollars!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ahhh don't worry, he will have plenty to splash about once he writes his book and writes all the sequels,plus the film, sue !!!!!! ;)
How are things going Gerad keep up the exercises you will soon be back on the Way.

Last edited:
Thank you for this Gerard. On the camino last year, I often went to sleep in great pain. As I'm doing it again this year with my hubby, I'm dreading that bit! So I've bookmarked these exercises, and will give them a shot. If they don't work, I'll sue you for a million dollars!
Just Horrid sometimes aren't they?...Women Pilgrims - Anyone know any good lizard recipes?

Hi when we walked the Camino Norte a few years ago, there was a guy who always did his stretches in his bunk in the morning including leg stretches and back stretches. It was quite funny to see -but on the other hand he didn't get injuries!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I don't want to leave you destitute could you give a ballpark figure of your net worth then I can sue for a bit less. I'm not totally bad. :):):)
Great exercises by the way. Thanks.
Ahhh don't worry, he will have plenty to splash about once he writes his book and writes all the sequels,plus the film, sue !!!!!! ;)
How are things going Gerad keep up the exercises you will soon be back on the Way.

I would say my net worth is destitute, so gimme a break cobber.
Chucked the crutches away and allowed to take Henry for walks in the mornings.

Regds Guys
Gerard

I would say my net worth is destitute, so gimme a break cobber.
Chucked the crutches away and allowed to take Henry for walks in the mornings.

Regds Guys
Gerard
Just watch Henry doesn't send you Base over Apex mate you know what a tricky blighter he can be! So glad to hear your good news take it slowly Gerard times a great healer.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi when we walked the Camino Norte a few years ago, there was a guy who always did his stretches in his bunk in the morning including leg stretches and back stretches. It was quite funny to see -but on the other hand he didn't get injuries!
I always wondered what people thought I was up to under the covers.
But decided it was best not to think about that.
Regds
Gerard

I'm thinking a number of these would be great at your lunch break too! Thanks for posting...will be using them on the Primitivo this fall!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great post Gerard. Thank you! And hey…won't sue you if any body parts fall off. Already benefit from your wealth anyway. Your rich humour and your rich stories. All the best.
I'm thinking a number of these would be great at your lunch break too! Thanks for posting...will be using them on the Primitivo this fall!
Thank you ladies
Buen Camino!

Regds
Gerard

Having been in rehab many times over the years I have, with the help of Doctors and Physios, developed a set of gentle stretches with which to start the day.
I start the day in bed.

So these are my ‘Gentle, In Bed Stretches’. They take less than five minutes.
Up the body the sequence goes. Feet/ankles, calves, thighs, buttocks, abs, back, neck, neck, arms/chest.
They are done while I’m lying flat on my back in bed without a pillow.

While they are simple, I do them gently and carefully. If I cramp up I stop immediately, relax until I uncramp, then resume, but less firmly.

2. I pull my toes back upwards firmly.Then push backs of knees down to the mattress to stretch my calf muscles.

6. Keeping my butt and shoulders on the bed, I gently attempt to raise my lower back off the bed just a little way. I hold while I count slowly to 15, then slowly relax.
7. I press my head back gently into the bed while attempting to lift it up with my hands. I hold while I count slowly to 15, then slowly relax.

8. I gently press on my forehead with my fingertips while attempting to raise my head off the bed. I hold while I count slowly to 15, then slowly relax.

9. I hold my arms raised a little way over my chest and firmly clench my biceps and fingers. This means my chest muscles are tightened also. I hold while I count slowly to 15, then slowly relax.

I find it best to concentrate and move from one stretch to the next fairly quickly. This eliminates daydreaming and ensures it’s all done within the 5 minute timeframe.

Example
I like to do this more than once, so I do it 3 times; at the start, after the 4th stretch, and again at the end.

Regds
Gerard

another move you might want to add, after doing all the ones you mention, would be to bring your knees up to your chest linking your arms under the knees then gently pull for a count of 15. rock side to side and again count to 15. total relaxation.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks geeard. Just what i was looking for
Nanc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers
If you’re walking the Camino Portugues right now I’d recommend you avoid the complementario route into Pontevedra. While it is quiet and green and follows the river, it’s also a muddy mess. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.