• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed bugs in El Acebo!

CaminoErin

Time of past OR future Camino
June 12-July 19, 2023
I enjoyed the amazing pool and quality service at the La Casa del Peregrino in El Acebo. Felt it was too good to be true … and it was! I woke up eaten alive by bedbugs in a bottom bunk in dorm room 6 on July 7, 2023. They have brown cotton sheets so check the bed carefully. Otherwise the food, staff, location and facilities were great but it is the first albergue where I experienced bed bugs … and it is bad! I have over 50 bits all over my body that I’m having a terrible reaction to. 😩

Attachments

• IMG_5192.jpeg
    IMG_5192.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14,479
  • IMG_5039.jpeg
    IMG_5039.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 351
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I enjoyed the amazing pool and quality service at the La Casa del Peregrino in El Acebo. Felt it was too good to be true … and it was! I woke up eaten alive by bedbugs in a bottom bunk in dorm room 6 on July 7, 2023. They have brown cotton sheets so check the bed carefully. Otherwise the food, staff, location and facilities were great but it is the first albergue where I experienced bed bugs … and it is bad! I have over 50 bits all over my body that I’m having a terrible reaction to. 😩
Were you the only pilgrim bitten by the BBs? Can you spot the BBs if you try? Man, that’s awful.
What’s your plan?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@CaminoErin, Sorry to hear of your bedbug bites and they sure do look painful.
I have stayed in Acebo on two separate occasions at the same hotel/albergue and it has always been a favorite of mine. It's disappointing to hear of this and the brown sheets are a negative. Hopefully you reported the incident and they have taken measures to fumigate and debug the room and also checked for other rooms/areas that may be affected.

Hola @CaminoErin
Bed bugs are unfortunately a continued problem on all the Caminos. I have not read all the above posts so sorry if this is repeat advice.
One you HAVE to tell the management so that they can implement a cleaning regime, even if this means closing for a day or two;
Two - ALL your clothes, sleeping bag and even backpack will need to be treated. Wash in hot water, dry in a tumble drier at 60C (140F) for around 30/45 mins. The advice about see a pharmacy is sound, those bites really do look nasty. Most supermarkto's in Spain will stock a strong insect killer, and I recommend that you thoroughly spray both inside and outside of your backpack and maybe your boots.
Hopefully by now you have been treated, but you should be advising the next two or three albergues you visit that you have had bed bugs recently. Please be open and honest.

Best wishes, Buen Camino

I woke up eaten alive by bedbugs 😩
Pleased to hear you were still alive while being eaten. Seiously, thanks for sharing and letting the hospitalero/a know.
A pharmacist will supply you with a good antihistamine or something like Mopidick, which is absolutely brilliant for insect bites such as sand flies and niknik bugs. In fact, your post has reminded me to get a fresh Mopidick for my upcoming camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I was there last year, I noticed that they were using cloth sheets but they were not fresh at all. Not so nice.
So sorry to hear you were bitten so bad. Those bites looks horrible!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Also good to remember that bites are known not to show up until 24-72 hours AFTER they were acquired.
Good old cetirizine from the pharmacy handles the bites for most people and won't make you sleepy.
And yes to all the advice from @Saint Mike II
Although that may be generally true, it’s not the case for those of us that have an allergic reaction (which certainly looks like it from the photo).

It’s sad for everyone.

Oh man, believe it or not, El Acebo is where I had BRUTAL bed bugs in 2013...I will honestly never stop in that town again. I ended up sleeping outside in a lounge chair while critters rustled in the garbage cans next to me. One good thing about it is that I learned that night that bedbugs are neither small nor stealthy...they were crawling ALL over me. I heard later that the only place in town that really takes care of the issue is the Parroquial. Still regretting my choice of a private room that night, ten years on.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don’t hesitate to seek medical advice if the bites don’t seem to be responding to pharmacy remedies. I eventually had to go to Burgos Hospital because some of the bites got so bad.

Also good to remember that bites are known not to show up until 24-72 hours AFTER they were acquired.
Good old cetirizine from the pharmacy handles the bites for most people and won't make you sleepy.
And yes to all the advice from @Saint Mike II
Mine showed up immediately after being bitten. I caught them in the act.

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this and hope by now that you are finding some relief. Don't hesitate to go to a hospital or medical centre if you think the bites are not under control. Your personal health comes first. Please let us know how you are doing. Best wishes

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Chlorpheniramine / Piriton is better than Cetirizine, but makes you drowsy. Same stuff they would give you in hospital. Cream wise, Synalar-Forte is available OTC at pharmacies and will do the trick for the steroid cream, which is what they gave me at a pharmacy when I got them in 2017.

Any antiseptic should work to clean them up. I prefer iodine based (betadine, etc). But germolene or savlon or it's equivalent should work.

If you have throat swelling, difficulty breathing, extreme itching, sickness, vomiting, then you need a hospital and tell them anaphylaxis.

I’m having a terrible reaction
So sorry that you've been bitten!
That looks like a nasty reaction - as others have said, best seek help, at least at a pharmacia.

And ASAP treat all your stuff so that you don't become an unwitting bed bug transport service. These little guys are sneaky as heck.

Noooooooo! I stayed there a month or so ago and even took a rest day there because it was so wonderful and comfortable. Don’t ruin my memories! I do hope you let them know so they could address it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am so sorry, the same happened to me in the same hotel. The farmacia has some sort of corticosteroid foam that really helps.

Thanks to all for comments. This is a useful reminder that I should spray my pack and bedding (I use Raid Bed Bug Killer) and ask my local pharmacist what he recommends for any bites. I ignored precautions when I walked in Spain in the spring this year, and received some nasty and long-lasting bites, although I don't think it was bed bugs that bit me. At least, I was not in bed. And I shall probably spend a night in an albergue in El Acebo during my walk. I have stayed twice in the Parroquial and not been bitten there, so it sounds like that is my best bet for avoidance of critters.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks to all for comments. This is a useful reminder that I should spray my pack and bedding (I use Raid Bed Bug Killer) and ask my local pharmacist what he recommends for any bites. I ignored precautions when I walked in Spain in the spring this year, and received some nasty and long-lasting bites, although I don't think it was bed bugs that bit me. At least, I was not in bed. And I shall probably spend a night in an albergue in El Acebo during my walk. I have stayed twice in the Parroquial and not been bitten there, so it sounds like that is my best bet for avoidance of critters.
Bed bugs can also lurk in seats at restaurants, buses, trains, etc. Also clothing stores. And your luggage can get them just from being stored with other luggage. They’re not just in beds.

Spraying your bedding doesn't do a whole lot....usually dies after getting to you still. Maybe a bit different with raid, but most products pilgrims use they don't realize won't kill them on contact, so really it helps the next person but not you lol

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found some wrist bands that have quite high concentrations of deet in them (more than 25% concentration). Been thinking of sticking a couple of them in my rucksack to repel anything that wants to go in it.

As for killing them on contact I don't think many products are available that can do that, not at the amateur level anyway. Sure you can get stuff that will kill them, but it's probably not going to be good for you either.

We stayed at La Casa del Peregrino in El Acebo on 23 June. Assigned to room 11, did a bedbug inspection and found live mature bed bugs on the mattress under the brown sheets. I showed the live bugs to the woman who checked us in, she moved us to another room. We looked carefully there and didn’t find any until the morning. We washed everything in hot water and a hot dryer at the next stop. Sorry to hear that the problem got worse.

2 hónapja volt ugyanilyen problémám. A kórházba ment, és kapott szteroid és antihisztamin tablettát. Több száz harapás az egész testemben :(
And yes, my all things were washed in 90 degree for 3 hours by the hospitalero three days later...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My understanding of bed bugs is that they will move from an empty room to one containing people when they want to feed!
I was bitten when I stayed at La Casa del Peregrino in El Acebo last October. The showers there were the dirtiest I encountered by a long shot. But bedbugs can be a problem in clean places!

Hola @CaminoErin
Bed bugs are unfortunately a continued problem on all the Caminos. I have not read all the above posts so sorry if this is repeat advice.
One you HAVE to tell the management so that they can implement a cleaning regime, even if this means closing for a day or two;
Two - ALL your clothes, sleeping bag and even backpack will need to be treated. Wash in hot water, dry in a tumble drier at 60C (140F) for around 30/45 mins. The advice about see a pharmacy is sound, those bites really do look nasty. Most supermarkto's in Spain will stock a strong insect killer, and I recommend that you thoroughly spray both inside and outside of your backpack and maybe your boots.
Hopefully by now you have been treated, but you should be advising the next two or three albergues you visit that you have had bed bugs recently. Please be open and honest.

Best wishes, Buen Camino
Permethrin is still the best protection. I spray my sleeping bag and saturate and hang it out to dry before I leave for the Camino. I also spray my Backpack my boots and my Outback hat. AS of yet no BB.

Hola @CaminoErin

Best wishes, Buen Camino
I was recommended only to spray the outside of your backpack.

€60,-
I spray the outside of my sleeping bag and my back pack and I check every mattress. Try and stay in albergues that have bedbug proof mattresses and metal bed frames.

I was recommended only to spray the outside of your backpack.
I always spray inside my backpack, my sleep gear and all my cloth stuff sacks.

Permethrin will not repel bedbugs nor kill them on contact. It does kill them over a few hours of contact with a treated surface.

So I use it primarily to avoid transporting them to the next place I stay - or to my home! Because permethrin isn't a repellent I think that it's important to spray inside my backpack - if bed bugs do get inside I want them to have a lot of contact with the permethrin.

I've been working and dealing with insects bites for more than 35 years. That allergic reactions with blisters doesn't appear in few hours after the bites, so maybe you got the bites the days before in another place. Maybe you have been carrying them for few days in your sleeping clothes, sleeping liner or sleeping bag. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've been working and dealing with insects bites for more than 35 years. That allergic reactions with blisters doesn't appear in few hours after the bites, so maybe you got the bites the days before in another place. Maybe you have been carrying them for few days in your sleeping clothes, sleeping liner or sleeping bag. Buen Camino
For some, it appears immediately.

Yes, for me the itching and the bites appear immediately. I'm walking at the moment and twice in different albergues the itching has wakened me up and I've seen the bed-bugs scuttling away. So two almost sleepless nights spent sitting in albergue kitchens.

If you have any worries about a bedbug infestation where you are staying .....

I usually carry a black garbage bag in my pack and put my pack and everything in it before setting it on the floor in any albergue or suspect pension. The odds of a booger getting inside and traveling with you are very slim inside the plastic closed bag.
Not fool proof but a simple step to avoid a problem.

Of course...you will still have to stress about what you are sleeping in..both clothes and sleeping bag/sheet.

There is no escape:oops::oops::oops::oops:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In addition to an antihistamine, I recommend any pramoxine hydrochloride cream like CeraVe to relieve the itching. My wife and I were eaten by chiggers this summer, and that pramoxine cream (CerVe) saved our sanity until the welts and swelling subsided.

I usually carry a black garbage bag in my pack and put my pack and everything in it before setting it on the floor in any albergue or suspect pension. The odds of a booger getting inside and traveling with you are very slim inside the plastic closed bag.
Maybe the crinkly plastic bag chases the bed bugs away. 🤪

In addition to an antihistamine, I recommend any pramoxine hydrochloride cream like CeraVe
CeraVe makes a number of different kinds of creams. The specific cream with pramoxine hydrochloride cream is CeraVe Itch Relief Moisturizing Cream.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.