• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

my short "camino" around the Bierzo :-)

Mark Temple

Time of past OR future Camino
first week of June 2017
I'm coming to Ponferrada in early June to walk for a few days. I am planning to do a loop around the Valle del Silencio (Ponferrada-El Acebo-Penhalba de Santiago-Ponferrada. I then have two more days - need to be in León by lunchtime on the third day. I hope to come back in future years when I have a bit more time.

I would like some great scenic mountain walking, with good food and excellent local wine (of course!).

Thinking of taking a bus to Villafranca, and walking the mountain variant of the Camino via Pradela, staying there. Then on to Ruitelán/Las Herrerías. Is this a good option?I would then get up earlyish to climb to Cebreiro,and pick up the ALSA bus to León in Piedrafita at 11.20.

My main question is how long should it take to walk the camino between Ruitelán and O Cebreiro (I think from there to Piedrafita is 4km, so another 40 mins I guess).

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sounds like a lovely plan, I adore the Bierzo.
Don't forget the municipal and parish albergues are not available to you if you are recreationally walking and not heading to Santiago. There should be lots of other options though.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Naismith's Rule says "Allow 1 hour for every 3 mi (5 km) forward, plus 1 hour for every 2000 ft (600 m) of ascent." From Ruitelan to O'Cebreiro is between 9 and 10 kilometers and the elevation gain is from 700 m to 1300 m so figure on 3 hours but add in some time to grab a beer on the way up. See the elevation profile here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/death-march-with-teenagers.48046/#post-515883

Brierley's guide says Albergue Pequeno Potala in Ruitelan and Albergue Las Herrerias in Las Herrerias are privately run.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yeah, I reckoned a 7.30 start should be about right. Bit early for a beer maybe... more of a third coffee I reckon :)

Pradela private or municipal?

Yeah, I reckoned a 7.30 start should be about right. Bit early for a beer maybe... more of a third coffee I reckon :)
Early for a beer??? :eek:

Well, let me tell you that "beer is not just a breakfast drink" ;):D

So I guess you won't take Invierno from Valle de Silencio. Might be a good decision and leave it for next year to walk it in its entire lenght? :)

Anyway, have a great time!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ah, you know the drill :D

I prefer orujo blanco over hierbas..., especially in very hot weather. It really cools me down.
Any chupito gets the day off right. I've just been helping the local economy in Extremadura by downing massive chups of Bellota.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I say massive, the chups I drank with my brekkie would often count as about 12 single bar measures in the UK. At EUR1 for what amounts to a mug full of spirits, it would be churlish not to.

Hope you have a good dentist on the road, with all that bellota in the mornings :)

I was kind of put off by the sheer length of the day from Penhalba to Las Médulas, and so I started to look for other options. Which was when I thought this Villafranca-Pradela-Ruitelán-Cebreiro route might work well. What do you think?

Sounds nice, and has the advantage that it's a recognised route to Santiago, so assuming you have a credential, you can use any albergue you like. But a bit easy? I walked Villafranca to La Faba in one day and ate a fry up on the way. I was followed by a big black dog too, but I don't remember any chupitos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Obviously not a memorable day for you then :)

I figured I will be a bit tired after the three days in the Valle del Silencio, so starting lateish and maybe having lunch in Villafranca with some good Bierzo wine doesn't sound too terrible a prospect. Then 12 kn in the afternoon. The day to Ruitelán/Herrerías is quiet short too, but maybe could do an interesting little detour at some point? And I should be well rested for the brisk morning climb to O Cebreiro, which I don't have so much time for!

And there's always the option of going on the Invierno route from Las Médulas if I do feel up to it.

The mountain route from Villafranca is beautiful and is away from the Camino hordes. Just after crossing the river bridge leaving Villafranca you will see opposite you a narrow road going uphill with a yellow arrow painted on the road. This is the start and it is a little steep at first for about 1km, then undulating until the descent into Trabadela. There is a new albergue 'Casa Suzi' in Trabadela run by a Canadian lady who has walked 10 Caminos. Both of the albergues in Ruitelan and Herrerias are private. I have stayed at the one in Ruitelan 'Pequeno Potala' which has a good communal dinner, dorms a bit cramped and the hospitaleros are characters. From Herrerias to O'Cebreiro is almost all uphill and I would allow 3 hours, especially if you want to stop for a café at La Faba, where there is another albergue - private and vegetarian. If you want to stay at Casa Suzi, turn left where the mountain route joins the main road at Trabadela and the albergue is just a couple of hundred metres back towards Villafranca.

Thanks! I'm hoping to stay in Pradela (i.e. between Villafranca and Trabadelo) - do you know anything about the albergue? I did try contacting them through their FB page, but no luck so far.

Trabadelo would make a good fallback, yes.

I'm planning to stay at Casa Lixa in Las Herrerías rather than the Potala, simply because I need to get my bus in Piedrafita de Cebreiro at 11.20, and don't want to have to rush (I reckon I'll need to start soon after 7am).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
According to your plans do be aware that after you climb up to O Cebreiro to will need to descend roughly 4 km to Piedrafita de Cebreiro to catch your bus.

The mountain route from Villafranca is beautiful and is away from the Camino hordes. Just after crossing the river bridge leaving Villafranca you will see opposite you a narrow road going uphill with a yellow arrow painted on the road. This is the start and it is a little steep at first for about 1km, then undulating until the descent into Trabadela.
A Google streetview of the uphill road taken from the end of the bridge:
https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/ap...239,-6.811773&heading=340&size=900x450&fov=90

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks :) Btw, I guess I can do this route with only a sheet sleeping bag, renting blankets? I hate the cold, but will be taking a day pack only, so would really like to avoid having to take the bag.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back