• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My sleeping bag is too tight

falconbrother

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
Hi folks. My wife and I are walking the Camino Francis in late May till early July. We tried the summer sleeping bag tonight. Hers fits her but, mine is way too tight. She zipped me up in it and I was about to bust out of it. Once we stopped laughing we decided we needed to find another option.

I need a compact bag that’s not too hot that my shoulders will fit in. A large regular is too small.

Suggestions please and thanks in advance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Look for a quilt maybe? I mean mummy to me means no bueno.

On the camino I like to take this one... it's warm enough for indoors, and has a full length zipper so I can turn it into a quilt.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Cocoon Travel Sheet – I use a rectangular silk travel sheet that has a pocket pillow insert. The rectangular shape is not as constricting as a mummy sheet. The pillow pocket insert allows me to use the pillow from an albergue if provided. Otherwise, I improvise a pillow with my drybag and some extra clothing like my puff jacket.

Revelation Sleeping Quilt – I use a 40° down quilt with a zippered foot box. The footbox can be zipped if it is cold to create a quasi mummy bag or the foot box can be unzipped to allow the quilt to lay flat. I place the quilt inside my travel sheet. This prevents the quilt from ending up on the floor overnight because it is light and slick. I can adjust the quilt easily to regulate my sleep temperature by pushing it to the side, covering up, and zipping the footbox. I also think placing the quilt in my travel sheet reduces the temptation for someone to borrow it.

Dry Bag – I use a dry bag to pack the travel sheet and quilt. It keeps them dry and compartmentalizes my gear.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have a similar problem. I am moving a lot in my sleep, have restless legs syndrome and my body temperature changes all the time during the night. So in a sleeping bag I feel locked up. I now use a rectangular sleeping bag that I can zip open completely and use as a blanket. That works best for me.

Hi folks. My wife and I are walking the Camino Francis in late May till early July. We tried the summer sleeping bag tonight. Hers fits her but, mine is way too tight. She zipped me up in it and I was about to bust out of it. Once we stopped laughing we decided we needed to find another option.

I need a compact bag that’s not too hot that my shoulders will fit in. A large regular is too small.

Buy another one and zip both together.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a similar problem. I am moving a lot in my sleep, have restless legs syndrome and my body temperature changes all the time during the night. So in a sleeping bag I feel locked up. I now use a rectangular sleeping bag that I can zip open completely and use as a blanket. That works best for me.
Which one do you use? I’ve been looking for one for early spring use.

I seem to spin in my sleep so if I use a mummy bag I end up as a trapped coil! Also have hot feet - so I use a rectangular that is double zipped so opens at the foot end.

I don't know how big you are - I am 5' 10" and 180lbs and am very happy with my bag. Fully unzips to make a throw or bedspread, can have foot open for cool feet, inbuilt zipped fold-away mosquito (bed bugs!!) net and weighs 900 gms (32 ozs). Choice of lefthand or righthand zip.
Temp - comfort 7c/45f .. Low 2c/36f.
Made by Snugpak who make items for our (UK) military and also sell to the public - have used it for years and love it - oh, is really cheap and comes in a compression sack so packs up small too!

packsize_jungle_bag_olive_1_1.jpg

Just as a test, unzip all but the foot area and use your bsg as a quilt to see if you find it comfortable. If so, then buy a light quilt. :)
I first discovered quilts in 2018 on the Camino. My bag was too hot, I had been reading about quilts and decided to try using open bag as a quilt. I now have 2 temperature rated quilts and one old bag.

Do you need one at all at that time of year? I gave my sleeping bag away in Pamplona to someone who needed it so did the whole of the rest of the Frances without one. I get cold easily but really was only a bit chilly once. I just put more clothes on to go to bed. That was April / May 2023. Just a thought.

Just use your present bag as a quilt. Most places provide at least paper sheets so pull the bag over you and be done. Night!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
1. A former colleague relocated from the US to London. His wife sorted out the trivia about moving house, schools, visas and so on.

His sole responsibility was the dog.

He arrived at the airport with the pooch and a transit crate and after some debate was denied boarding.

‘Dog was too big for the crate’ was his explanation.

Crates, and sleeping bags, come in different sizes.

2. Another good friend is an amateur helicopter pilot. I don’t know what machine he has, but it’s not huge.

He invited his brother in law to travel as a passenger and (apparently) had to calculate the load distribution based on the weight of the occupants

Virtually crashing on takeoff he concluded that his passenger was less than fully honest about his weight.

HtD. Built for comfort, not for speed.

Last edited:

Don't take one. There are lots of threads on whether one is necessary or not and the type of accommodation one is expecting to stay in. On the Frances at that time of year you can get by with a silk liner. Only private albergues seem to issue blankets these days. Or lose weight (haha).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don't take one. There are lots of threads on whether one is necessary or not and the type of accommodation one is expecting to stay in. On the Frances at that time of year you can get by with a silk liner. Only private albergues seem to issue blankets these days. Or lose weight (haha).

I disagree - a few years ago I was there April and it became SO cold, and then wet, maybe 3C (37F) .. during the day and at night I wore everything I had with me and still could never get warm (as had packed for normal April weather) - eventually, at Logrono, I became really ill and had to go home - so it isn't the month, it is the weather forecast that is important as even a couple of weeks later in May there could be a cold cold surprise.

I want freedom of leg movement, so no mummy bag for me!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In 2023, I used a down sleeping quilt from Aliexpress. Only 440g and not expensive. It was easily warm enough for April.

By summer, you are more likely to need just a sleeping sheet (I use the Sea to Summit silk/cotton rectangular one,)

Or just use your too-narrow sleeping bag fully unzipped.

Last edited:

Hola @falconbrother

Having just completed the CF (again) in July last year, my experience was that I didn’t need a sleeping bag. I only used a sleeping bag liner (cotton-silk blend).

I carried “The Lazy Bear” Down Camping Blanket. As my mates kept reminding/asking me was I carrying just to fill my backpack?

If you’re staying in Albergues, they get very warm at night with everyone's sleeping in close quarters. Even in O Cebriero it was very warm in the Municipal Albergue.

If you’re in private accommodation, they usually have blankets etc..

Personally, at that time of year I would only be taking a sleeping bag liner. If on that odd night you think you’ll be cold, wear some socks to bed and maybe an extra T-shirt.

You’ll save the grams.

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We carry liners and lightweight single fleece "throw" blankets that are very cheap to purchase from variety stores (A$5 at Big W) for the warmer months on the Camino. To pack them down, we use the compression bags from our colder months sleeping bags. They are super lightweight, surprisingly warm and pack nice and small.

I bought a summer sleeping bag for my May 18 to June 28 Camino Frances in 2023. I left it at home and just went with a silk liner. I don't like being cold so I was a little worried about leaving it behind. I never came close to being cold. Some nights I was too warm. Just wore a T-shirt and lightweight walking shorts while sleeping as I don't like wearing my walking cloths to sleep in. But if you feel you need it then take it. I stayed in private albergues and pensions and they were plenty warm. I didn't stay at municipal albergues so I don't know how warm or cold they are.

If your sleeping bag has a zipper, you can use it another way.
Zip the footbox, but not upper part. You can use it as a quilt.
Plenty of room.
Try this with your bag. Maybe you do not need to buy a new one!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
1. A former colleague relocated from the US to London. His wife sorted out the trivia about moving house, schools, visas and so on.

His sole responsibility was the dog.

He arrived at the airport with the pooch and a transit crate and after some debate was denied boarding.

‘Dog was too big for the crate’ was his explanation.

Crates, and sleeping bags, come in different sizes.

2. Another good friend is an amateur helicopter pilot. I don’t know what machine he has, but it’s not huge.

He invited his brother in law to trav🤣el as a passenger and (apparently) had to calculate the load distribution based on the weight of the occupants

Virtually crashing on takeoff he concluded that his passenger was less than fully honest about his weight.

HtD. Built for comfort, not for speed.

Another option is just don’t zip it up. Just put your legs in and use the upper like a blanket. Temperatures are not a huge issue in May/June.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I mean small pack size, I'm 5-11, 200 lbs. Quilt is plenty big enough 😀

I take a 'king camp' travel blanket with me which I find more than adequate.
( Parador hotels are OK, but sometimes only your own bedding will do 😉🤣)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.