• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping bag advice.

MWEP

Time of past OR future Camino
September 24
I will be starting the CF the 1st September and have been wondering about sleeping bags and what type I would need,Thanks for any help.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Several threads about this in the past few days. It is warmer in early September, but may be getting cooler as you approach Santiago. My husband served as a hospitalero on the Meseta the second half of September 2021 and was glad to have his sleeping bag. He built a fire in the wood stove more than one night and there was no other heat to turn on in the albergue.

In the shoulder seasons it may be cool and you may not have heat. Many albergues close the second half of October as they are unheated. Having said that, I am just back from Sarria to Santiago last week. All the Xunta Albergues on that stretch had ample heat and on some nights I had to sleep on top of my down bag. The private albergues where we stayed were not quite as warm.

If it were me I would take at a minimum a liner and some type of fleece quilt or polyester Army Poncho liner although my down bag would probably be lighter and less bulky. A 3 seasons bag would be ample protection from cold this time of year, I think,

Last edited:
I bought a decathlon 600 gm one for 60 australian dollars. It was fine. It had compression straps. A woman next to me at a donativo had exactly the same one so we were laughing even though we didn't speak the same language. I did bring a sleeping sheet as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I went September last year, started 3 weeks later than you will. I took this which was ridiculously light and easy to pack every morning. If it's too warm then it also is perfect unzipped as a lightweight duvet.
I'll definitely have a look at that, Thanks.

I went September last year, started 3 weeks later than you will. I took this which was ridiculously light and easy to pack every morning. If it's too warm then it also is perfect unzipped as a lightweight duvet.
Spot on! I take one every time, much like yours. It’s useful, especially in Spring and Autumn.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Take a liner and a light weight sleeping bag.
You then have three different combinations available to suit different conditions.
Silk liner = 115g and Two season sleeping bag 521g
Don't forget to loft the filling in the sleeping bag before use to separate the fibres for maximum warmth especially if it has been squashed tight for packing.
My bag was only a mummy bag, next time I would want a square one which could be openned out flat to use as an extra duvet.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.