• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Name translation on Compostela

JGJ

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023
Hello all: I’m hoping there may be a few Latin etymology enthusiasts in our forum who may be able to share their thoughts. Any idea as to the meaning of "Vidonem"? I recently completed the CF and obtained my Compostela. My first name is “Guy” and the name translated as “Vidonem” on the parchment. I’m wondering if this is a literal translation or symbolic. I can’t imagine my first name has any Latin origins. Maybe it’s Latin for "Chico”? Ha! Any thoughts as to the meaning?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The name has a Germanic origin, Wido meaning "wood" "forest", but it also has a Mediaeval Latin transliteration Vido, Vidonis (the letter W is vanishingly rare in Latin), which is what you found on your Compostela, properly declined to the Accusative Vidonem. Though there's a more properly Latin Vitus, except that's not your name.

Italian Guido is not too far from the Latin ; French Guy is closer to the Germanic and English.

Latin > Italian : Vitus > Vito ; Vido > Guido.

Last edited:
The name Guy has nothing to do with 'chico'. Whatever gave you that idea? 😂

Names and language have their own history, and as @JabbaPapa writes, Guy can be traced back via Guido to Vido.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Uh,,, Your name is your name as given.
Why would someone try to "translate" your name?
My name is Robert, not Roberto or any other version.

<Name> hoc sacratissimum Templum pietatis causa devote visitasse.
Vidonem is indeed the subject of the verb; but the verb visitasse is an infinitive because it's indirect discourse — and subjects of infinitives are in the accusative.

Of course.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Compostela document is in Latin, and uses the Latin equivalent of your first name.
Those working in the pilgrim office try their best to translate your given name into Latin, and if they can not, I think they do the best they can and probably adlib a little🤔...it doesn't bother me.

The compostela will use the Latin equivalent of your forename and surname. In your case, probably Robertus rather than Roberto. I don't see it as any different to the many equivalents to James. I suspect we have no problem understanding the Jacob, Iago, etc are all equivalents.

Strictly speaking, as @JGJ has already mentioned, his given name Guy has no Latin roots. Guy is apparently either derived or related to Guido and both appear to be derived from the Old High German name Wido which then has some older Germanic roots and meaning. No Latin involved.

Latin Vido came onto the scene (most likely at least) sometime in the Middle Ages or later when it was fashionable to latinise European names, both given names and surnames. I was surprised to read that numerous Roman Catholic parish registers of birth, baptism, marriage and death were still written in ecclesiastical / church / neo / modern Latin until late in the 19th century where the parishers' real-life given names were latinised. There are books with lists of columns and columns of real-life name and Latinised name for those who are interested in deciphering such parish records.

Wikipedia's Latinisation of names lists four methods of Latinisation:
  • transforming the name into Latin sounds (e.g. Geber for Jabir), or
  • adding Latinate suffixes to the end of a name (e.g. Meibomius for Meibom), or
  • translating a name with a specific meaning into Latin (e.g. Venator for Italian Cacciatore; both mean 'hunter'), or
  • choosing a new name based on some attribute of the person (e.g. Daniel Santbech became Noviomagus, possibly from the Latin name for the town of Nijmegen).
My guess is that in Guy's case it was the first method: Guy/Guido/Wido and Vido are homonyms, i.e. the words sound and look alike.

Needless to say, the actual Latin name is Vido and not Vidonem, just like say the actual Latinised name of Martin is Martinus and not Martinum or for Mary it is Maria and not Mariam. Vidonem and Martinum and Mariam are merely grammatical forms in Latin that have no equivalent in English. These forms are on the Compostella because of the sentence that precedes them and the grammar rules of the Latin language that require these endings.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just for info, your given name in Latinised form is Robertus and it would appear as Robertum on your Compostela. Numerous peregrin@s are thrilled with this, others not so much. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
It's interesting that the Compostela and Distance Certificate seem to use different naming procedures. As defaults anyway - at least that was my husband's experience last year. The Compostela gives a Latin name, while the Distance Certificate gives your name as it appears in your own language. I am guessing that is because the Compostela is in Latin and the Distance Certificate is in Spanish...?

When I got my Compostela, it was just my name. No translation at all. I was actually a bit disappointed. It seemed doable (Donna Rode). Maybe I just got someone who didn't feel like trying to do it? The person who helped my sister gave her a "Latinized" name. Or maybe my guy just did it on the Compostela after having entered it for the Distance? Copy and paste? :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's interesting that the Compostela and Distance Certificate seem to use different naming procedures. As defaults anyway - at least that was my husband's experience last year. The Compostela gives a Latin name, while the Distance Certificate gives your name as it appears in your own language. I am guessing that is because the Compostela is in Latin and the Distance Certificate is in Spanish...?
You’re correct Ialaone - the Compostela gives the person’s name in Latin and the whole document is in Latin as it was the language of the church all those centuries back. I’ve just finished two weeks volunteering at the Pilgrim Office and was told that the current compostela has been in use since the 16th century. I was also told earlier versions go back to around 1,000 years ago.

The Pilgrim Office’s computer system has the Latin translation for thousands and thousands of names. Some names just don’t translate and I found that some names which should have translated didn’t, so in that case I went back, looked up the Latin names, typed those in and reissued the compostela.

The distance certificate is a fairly recent document - not sure for how many years it’s been issued - so that’s why it’s in Spanish.

Cheers to all -

Jenny

I’ve just finished two weeks volunteering at the Pilgrim Office and was told that the current compostela has been in use since the 16th century.
Depends what you mean by "the current compostela". The first two I received had no mention of a minimum distance on them. And I doubt the 16th century ones mentioned travel by bike! :cool:

Hi @Bradypus - I don’t think the current compostela has a minimum distance mentioned on it but I stand corrected. The person’s name and the date the compostela was issued were the only variables. Love the mention re the bicigrinos! Very clever!
Cheers -
Jenny

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My given name is Christine. My Compostelas both say Christinam.
My son's given name is Matthew. One of his Compostelas says Mattaeum; the other one says Matthaeum. It doesn't matter...close enough.

Vidonem is indeed the subject of the verb
Direct Object actually, hence the Accusative.

but the verb visitasse is an infinitive because it's indirect discourse
It's a form of Accusative Absolute, albeit that it is technically in this precise usage in Subjunctive Mood. (The Latin Infinitive forms and their uses are quite complex.)

Deep down it's similar in English, though an attempt at literal translation would be something like -- we declare Guy to have visited etc. An Infinitive Absolute rather than an Accusative, but this is a function of the Infinitive, except that there is no formally distinct Accusative in English nouns.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you have a Compostela issued in the last few years then the minimum distances and bicycles are mentioned after the name of the recipient.
Oh yes. Birota - literally a two-wheeler. How could one ever forget this Latin word after having seen it on a Compostela. :cool:

From the web:

rota means wheel. Now, the Oxford Latin Dictionary has no entry for the word birota, but according to other (admittedly less reliable) sources it was used by the Romans to mean a two-wheeled cart, usually drawn by three mules, used for transporting commercial goods and one or two passengers. Which certainly makes sense. Today it is the generally agreed upon word for bicycle.​

Just for info, your given name in Latinised form is Robertus and it would appear as Robertum on your Compostela. Numerous peregrin@s are thrilled with this, others not so much. As far as I understand it, you can ask that your actual proper name is shown on your Compostela. Buen Camino!
Not if it's specifically "Bob" on his birth certificate and passport and credencial.

If so, it would properly be a foreign name, and therefore invariable in Latin.

If it's actually short for Robert in his specific personal case, of course you're right.

I’ve just finished two weeks volunteering at the Pilgrim Office and was told that the current compostela has been in use since the 16th century. I was also told earlier versions go back to around 1,000 years ago.

The Pilgrim Office’s computer system has the Latin translation for thousands and thousands of names. Some names just don’t translate and I found that some names which should have translated didn’t, so in that case I went back, looked up the Latin names, typed those in and reissued the compostela.
Thank you Jenny for this interesting insight! I kinda like having the Latin version of my name on the Compostela - even though it bears no resemblance to my name in English. Just another part of the richness of the Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I got my Compostela, it was just my name. No translation at all. I was actually a bit disappointed. It seemed doable (Donna Rode). Maybe I just got someone who didn't feel like trying to do it?
Donna is invariable in Latin, counterintuitive as that might seem. As is Rode I'm afraid.

If your first name were were wrongly Latinised, the document would refer to you as "Dominam Dominam Rode", shortened to "Dnam Dominam Rode" (Lady Lady Rode/Mrs Mrs Rode), which would just be confusing.

Last edited:
  • translating a name with a specific meaning into Latin (e.g. Venator for Italian Cacciatore; both mean 'hunter'), or
  • choosing a new name based on some attribute of the person (e.g. Daniel Santbech became Noviomagus, possibly from the Latin name for the town of Nijmegen).
That is very bad method, and it's terrible pseudo-Latin from the part of that source.

AFAIK, the Pilgrim Office / Cathedral uses actual Latin where it exists, and treats non-Latinate names as Latin does, which is to say as being invariable from their proper spelling in the foreign language. And even some names of ancient non-Latin origin, such as some of the Hebrew ones, are invariable in Latin.

Most pilgrims' surnames will be written invariably in this manner because of that, but the few of us who have an actual Latin or Latin-origin surname should see it written in the proper Latin Accusative.

As to Mr Santbech, his name Daniel is invariable in Latin, and would appear as "Daniel" on his Compostela were he to undertake the pilgrimage.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Let us wait till one of the children of Elon Musk walk a Camino and want to receive their Compostela!
Fun one.

Griffin > Gryphem

Vivian > Vivianam

Kai > Kai

Saxon > Saxonum (this one is particularly fun as being the only straightforwardly Classical Latin one)

Damian > Damionem (though they'd possibly misspell it Damianem/um)

X > Xi (they'd probably get this one wrong)

Exa > Exa

-----

Elon > Elon (Hebrew and invariable in Latin)

Musk > Muscam

When you obtain a Compostela, staff translate your given name to Latin, if an equivalent is available. Thus, Robert or Bob will always come out as Robertum, or whatever it is in Latin. The "um" suffix is for men. An "am" suffix is for women - e,g, Robertam.

The way to ensure it says exactly what YOU want it to say is to speak up at the beginning, and tell the staff person that you do NOT want the Latinized version of your name, but that you want "X" or "Y" instead. They will happily make this change.

One year, we had an American pilgrim named Todd. He was insistent that we provide him a Latinized version of his name. But when we asked if "Todd" was a nickname for Theodore, Thaddeus, or something like that, he insisted that "no, my name is Todd."

On further questioning he told us that he was christened as an infant using "Todd." We explained that there was nothing to be done - that is why Latin is a dead language. Additions are not made. That is why sticking with the name of a saint, or an Old Testament figure is a good thing.

Just sayin -

Tom

I obviously don't know what was fed into the database of Latin names that is used for Compostelas. I guess it's largely lists from historical records such as the Roman Catholic parish registers mentioned earlier and similar sources including Classical Latin of course and Bible translations. There appear to be plenty of books with such lists of Latin names and Latinised names.

I got curious about the given name Todd. One website (don't know how reliable) states: From an English surname meaning "fox", derived from Middle English todde. As a given name it was rare before 1930. It peaked in popularity in most parts of the English-speaking world in the 1960s or 70s, but it has since declined.

So on the one hand, it is not surprising that no Latinised form for this given name is found in data collections that are based on given names in the 16th to 19th century or even earlier. On the other hand, an enterprising volunteer could have looked up the Latin name for fox, put it in accusative form and done. But if I understand correctly the Oficina does not do any Latinisation of their own ... or do they? 🤔🤭

choosing a new name based on some attribute of the person (e.g. Daniel Santbech became Noviomagus, possibly from the Latin name for the town of Nijmegen

For those interested: I had never heard of Daniel Santbech before but I have now looked him up.

His name had been given as an example of one typical method of Latinising names in the past, in this case in the 16th century. A moon crater is named after him and in his honour.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello all: I’m hoping there may be a few Latin etymology enthusiasts in our forum who may be able to share their thoughts. Any idea as to the meaning of "Vidonem"? I recently completed the CF and obtained my Compostela. My first name is “Guy” and the name translated as “Vidonem” on the parchment. I’m wondering if this is a literal translation or symbolic. I can’t imagine my first name has any Latin origins. Maybe it’s Latin for "Chico”? Ha! Any thoughts as to the meaning?
Hello Everyone: Thanks so much for sharing, I greatly appreciate all of your responses. I’m certainly quite happy with the Latin translation of my given "Guy" as "Vidonem" but was merely curious as to the process involved since my basic background research did not come up with anything concrete. The folks at the pilgrims’ office no doubt do their very best to accurately translate our names and I am proudly wearing the moniker "Vidonem" as a pilgrim who humbly completed the CF. And now I guess there is a further complication for the hospitaliera in Belorado who thought I was kidding when I mentioned to her my name was Guy leading her to believe it was colloquial Spanish for “Chico” 😉.

the hospitaliera in Belorado who thought I was kidding when I mentioned to her my name was Guy leading her to believe it was colloquial Spanish for “Chico” 😉.
LOL.

As so often, a question can lead into surprising alleys. You probably know not only about Guy and Guido/Wido/Vido but also about guys and Guy Fawkes. I don’t know how well-known Guy Fawkes is in the USA, in England literally every kid knows his name. A short fun article in the Washington Post about the origin of the word “guy” starts with the following words and then continues to explain how the meaning of the word guy changed throughout the past 400 years:

Little-known fact — well, it’s probably a fact: “Guy” meaning “fellow” (these days, sometimes even including gals), stems from Guy Fawkes, of English Gunpowder Plot (on Nov. 5, 1605) fame: […]
🎆;)

What I didn’t know is that Guy Fawkes travelled to the continent to fight in the Eighty Years War for Catholic Spain against the new Dutch Republic where he apparently fought as a career soldier in the Netherlands and in France. He later also travelled to Spain and was known as Guido Fawkes. Sadly, you don’t have to go far in any direction in Europe’s history to encounter war … hopefully, hopefully a story of the past and the Camino de Santiago is meant to be a symbol for a peaceful future.

Last edited:
JGJ wrote: I am proudly wearing the moniker "Vidonem"
No, Guy, you should be proudly wearing the moniker Vido (nominative case, or subject), whereas Vidonem in in the accusative case, or object. Would one of your other initials, J, have been less of a problem?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
LOL.

As so often, a question can lead into surprising alleys. You probably know not only about Guy and Guido/Wido/Vido but also about guys and Guy Fawkes. I don’t know how well-known Guy Fawkes is in the USA, in England literally every kid knows his name. A short fun article in the Washington Post about the origin of the word “guy” starts with the following words and then continues to explain how the meaning of the word guy changed throughout the past 400 years:

Little-known fact — well, it’s probably a fact: “Guy” meaning “fellow” (these days, sometimes even including gals), stems from Guy Fawkes, of English Gunpowder Plot (on Nov. 5, 1605) fame: […]
🎆;)

What I didn’t know is that Guy Fawkes travelled to the continent to fight in the Eighty Years War for Catholic Spain against the new Dutch Republic where he apparently fought as a career soldier in the Netherlands and in France. He later also travelled to Spain and was known as Guido Fawkes. Sadly, you don’t have to go far in any direction in Europe’s history to encounter war … hopefully, hopefully a story of the past and the Camino de Santiago is meant to be a symbol for a peaceful future.
LOL.

🎆;)

I am familiar with Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot but was not aware of his involvement in Spain. Very interesting !

JGJ wrote: I am proudly wearing the moniker "Vidonem"
No, Guy, you should be proudly wearing the moniker Vido (nominative case, or subject), whereas Vidonem in in the accusative case, or object. Would one of your other initials, J, have been less of a problem?
Understood. I shall henceforth proudly wear the moniker Vido! My legal first name is Joseph and most likely it would not have been a problem. My two brothers’ first names are also Joseph and so I often use my second name. Blame it in the small town catholic priest who filled in the baptismal and birth certificates 😉.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Understood. I shall henceforth proudly wear the moniker Vido!
Hooray !!
My legal first name is Joseph and most likely it would not have been a problem.
Ouch !! Another small can of worms !!

There are two Latin forms of Joseph -- one Hebrew, invariable, and so Ioseph on a Compostela.

The other a transliterated and Latinised Josephus, variable, and so Josephum on a Compostela.

Take note of initial I vs. initial J.

Which Joseph are you ? (though hint : if you and brothers have that name for simple religious reasons it will most likely be the Hebrew)

Normal Accusative form, but it's invariable so same spelling in every case :

Matthew : {1:16} Iacob autem genuit Ioseph virum Mariæ, de qua natus est Iesus, qui vocatur Christus.

(note that Iesus here is in the Nominative)

---

Crikey, is your family surname of the same sort, and potentially variable or otherwise notable in Latin ?

So far, your Compostela should properly give your name as Dnum Ioseph Vidonem ... (???)

As of this year I have received compostelas with four different variants of my name. Usually it's the untranslated "Wendy", or "Vondam" or "Vandam". This year, though, I got something new: "Guendolinam"!

I always thought the name "Wendy" was invented by the author of Peter Pan in the early 20th century, which would obviously mean it wouldn't have a Latin equivalent.

I just did a bit of Googling, though, and it turns out it did have very limited use prior to Peter Pan as the familiar form of the Welsh name Gwendolyn. So if you take "Gwendolyn", substitute the "w" and "y" with letters that existed in the old Latin alphabet and put it in the accusative case, I guess you get "Guendolinam"!

Of course, doing so still doesn't make it a Latin name, but I'm happy to have a fun name on my compostela nonetheless.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Of course, doing so still doesn't make it a Latin name,
Not so fast, @Wendy Werneth. 😉

I am merely commenting on whether Guendolina is a Latinised given name that can be found in Roman Catholic parish registers or in other documents written in Latin. And the answer is yes. It did not take me long to find such an example online - and remember, not all parish registers have been digitised and are made available online, there are many more that have been transcribed and where the given latinised forms have been collected in databases in printed form in books.

The entry can be found in the register of the Roman Catholic Church of St Dubritius in Treforest in Wales. The introduction says: "practice in ecclesiastical registers at that time was to write the Latin forms of the names". Hence Henricus, Richardus, Josephus, Joannes and Georgius in the list of baptismal names of parishioners who in real life, and in their passports if they had one, were called Henry, Richard, Joseph, John and George. And there is a Guendelina Anna listed who was most likely a Gwendolyn Anne in real life. Note that the surnames are not Latinised, a practice that is also honoured in the Compostela.

Guendelina.jpg

PS: I know that it says Guendelina in the register while your Compostela says Guendolina. I'm confident that I could find a Guendolina in some parish register or other if I searched long enough 😇. My point is this: For all I know the staff and the volunteers of the Pilgrim Office in Compostela are not Latinising names - they use databases of established and known Latinised names.

Last edited:
Not so fast, @Wendy Werneth. 😉

I am merely commenting on whether Guendolina is a Latinised given name that can be found in Roman Catholic parish registers or in other documents written in Latin. And the answer is yes. It did not take me long to find such an example online - and remember, not all parish registers have been digitised and are made available online, there are many more that have been transcribed and where the given latinised forms have been collected in databases in printed form in books.

The entry can be found in the register of the Roman Catholic Church of St Dubritius in Treforest in Wales. The introduction says: "practice in ecclesiastical registers at that time was to write the Latin forms of the names". Hence Henricus, Richardus, Josephus, Joannes and Georgius in the list of baptismal names of parishioners who in real life, and in their passports if they had one, were called Henry, Richard, Joseph, John and George. And there is a Guendelina Anna listed who was most likely a Gwendolyn Anne in real life. Note that the surnames are not Latinised, a practice that is also honoured in the Compostela.

View attachment 154616

PS: I know that it says Guendelina in the register while your Compostela says Guendolina. I'm confident that I could find a Guendolina in some parish register or other if I searched long enough 😇. My point is this: For all I know the staff and the volunteers of the Pilgrim Office in Compostela are not Latinising names - they use databases of established and known Latinised names.
Fascinating, thanks for digging that up, @Kathar1na ! The Welsh connection fits too. Cool to know where it came from.

Strictly speaking, as @JGJ has already mentioned, his given name Guy has no Latin roots. Guy is apparently either derived or related to Guido and both appear to be derived from the Old High German name Wido which then has some older Germanic roots and meaning. No Latin involved.

Latin Vido came onto the scene (most likely at least) sometime in the Middle Ages or later when it was fashionable to latinise European names, both given names and surnames. I was surprised to read that numerous Roman Catholic parish registers of birth, baptism, marriage and death were still written in ecclesiastical / church / neo / modern Latin until late in the 19th century where the parishers' real-life given names were latinised. There are books with lists of columns and columns of real-life name and Latinised name for those who are interested in deciphering such parish records.

My guess is that in Guy's case it was the first method: Guy/Guido/Wido and Vido are homonyms, i.e. the words sound and look alike.

Needless to say, the actual Latin name is Vido and not Vidonem, just like say the actual Latinised name of Martin is Martinus and not Martinum or for Mary it is Maria and not Mariam. Vidonem and Martinum and Mariam are merely grammatical forms in Latin that have no equivalent in English. These forms are on the Compostella because of the sentence that precedes them and the grammar rules of the Latin language that require these endings.

I could find a Guendolina in some parish register or other if I searched long enough
I didn't find the name in a parish register but in a museum: a pecten guendolinae, or Gwendolin's scallop, named by the collector after his daughter Gwendolin in 1888. Lives in the Indian Ocean near South Africa, Mozambique, Mauritius, Madagascar. Wouldn't it be tempting to travel there and collect one for your next Camino? ;)

Gwendolin's scallop.jpg

I didn't find the name in a parish register but in a museum: a pecten guendolinae, or Gwendolin's scallop, named by the collector after his daughter Gwendolin in 1888. Lives in the Indian Ocean near South Africa, Mozambique, Mauritius, Madagascar. Wouldn't it be tempting to travel there and collect one for your next Camino? ;)

View attachment 154628
Oh yes, that is very tempting!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @Bradypus - I don’t think the current compostela has a minimum distance mentioned on it but I stand corrected. The person’s name and the date the compostela was issued were the only variables. Love the mention re the bicigrinos! Very clever!
Cheers -
Jenny
G’Day my friend. I have just scanned my two compostela’s and neither mentioned a distance walked or cycled. Just my lovely name is beautiful Latin. See you at Syd-Pilgrims in September. Cheers

As of this year I have received compostelas with four different variants of my name. Usually it's the untranslated "Wendy", or "Vondam" or "Vandam". This year, though, I got something new: "Guendolinam"!

I always thought the name "Wendy" was invented by the author of Peter Pan in the early 20th century, which would obviously mean it wouldn't have a Latin equivalent.

I just did a bit of Googling, though, and it turns out it did have very limited use prior to Peter Pan as the familiar form of the Welsh name Gwendolyn. So if you take "Gwendolyn", substitute the "w" and "y" with letters that existed in the old Latin alphabet and put it in the accusative case, I guess you get "Guendolinam"!

Of course, doing so still doesn't make it a Latin name, but I'm happy to have a fun name on my compostela nonetheless.
The proper Latin should be Gwendoloena as used by Geoffrey of Monmouth in the 12th Century, including because he was a Welshman writing in Latin, and it is a Welsh name ; W is extremely rare in Latin, but not non-existent, and it persists in non-Latin proper nouns having Latin forms, including in Classical Latin BTW.

Of course, on a Compostela : Gwendoloenam.

Vondam or Vandam however, eeek !! Pseudo-Latin !!

BTW Gwendoloena is linked to the name Guinevere, and indeed in some Arthurian Romances, Arthur's wife and Queen is named Gwendoloena.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I already had a discussion with the pilgrim office staff about my name, which is originally Latin, but they “overlatinized” it. I have studied Latin for many years so we ended up in an arcane discussion. In the end they agreed to leave my name as is, Beatriz.
How exactly did they want to render it ?

Proper form on a Compostela would of course be Beatricem ; but did they want to use some etymological form like Viatricem or something similarly overkill ?

Amusing of course that your name means "road-travelling woman" ;-) ...

Just noticed the Latin of the Compostelas in The Way is wrong.

First one he rejects is written DNUM THOMAS AVERY which is quite wrong -- should be Dnum Thomam Avery

Also on the second one should be Dnum Danielem Avery, and neither of them should be in ALL-CAPS.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...
One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.