• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need Advice from US Pilgrims

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
I will be leaving for Madrid on March 28, 2012. What is the best way to change US Dollars to Euros? How many Euros should I get before leaving on the trip? I've been told that there are ATMs that I can access on the Camino Frances. I have a Bank of America card. How much fees do I have to pay per transaction at these ATMs? Thank you for any information and advice that you might have.
Buen Camino,
Hieu

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Exchange rates for actual currency are usurious; avoid the exchange services coming and going. On arrival, visit an ATM at the airport or in town. Most banks charge about 3% per transaction, and the Spanish bank will charge about 4 Euro per transaction. The typical limit is 300-400 Euro per day; check with your bank. Inform your bank and your credit card companies that you will be traveling. Otherwise, they may deny service on the assumption that your credit card/ATM card has been stolen.

You can sell Euros on eBay when your return, and get pretty much the exchange rate.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
falcon269 said:
Exchange rates for actual currency are usurious; avoid the exchange services coming and going. On arrival, visit an ATM at the airport or in town. Most banks charge about 3% per transaction, and the Spanish bank will charge about 4 Euro per transaction. The typical limit is 300-400 Euro per day; check with your bank. Inform your bank and your credit card companies that you will be traveling. Otherwise, they may deny service on the assumption that your credit card/ATM card has been stolen.

You can sell Euros on eBay when your return, and get pretty much the exchange rate.
Thanks Falcon. So if I use my bank card at an ATM at Madrid Airport, I'll be able to get 300-400 Euros from a Spanish bank ATM for a fee of only 4 Euros? That's great as it's less than 2% charge! I'll definitely follow your advice on informing my bank and credit card companies before leaving for Spain.
Buen Camino,
Hieu

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There will be two fees, one from your bank, and one for the ATM. Expect your bank to charge about 3%, but ask them for specifics. The charge at currency exchange at the airport is much higher. And travelers cheques are useless. No one will cash them including the banks.

Your credit card will be accepted at major hotels and retailers, but everyone else expects cash. Your credit card company probably has a 3-4% fee on foreign charges.

Capital One (credit card) doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee for credit purchases. I always use this card when I go abroad although on the Camino, I used a credit card rarely, if ever. I agree with the above comments on using an ATM card for cash. I always got the maximum possible and then when the money was dwindling would get more.

I walked part of "El Camino" last September. I used a credit card for some purchases and the bank charged me and extra 3% , but you get the best exchange rate . Also I exchanged Dollars for Euros, before I went there, at my Bank in Miami (Chase Bank). I got the best rate, no commission . Only thing, you buy them today and they call you en 24-48 hours to pick them up. You can figure out you will need 30-40 Euros per day. Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm leaving the same day for Madrid! Then STJ. See you there. I'll be doing the ATM thing @ the Airport myself and taking some ordered euros from my local bank. A couple of years ago when I was visiting Spain my ATM and CC were shut down, even though we talked with the bank before we left. I'd suggest when you call get a name AND most importantly, get the USA number of your local bank manager. It's no fun dealing with India (customer service) and then England (fraud dept) then Florida (complaints) from the Madrid airport.

Remember, too, that your ATM card may not work in every ATM. A few trips ago, I tried my ATM card in 3 different banks' machines with no luck, so I called my credit card company and asked why they hadn't activated my card for use in Spain, as I'd requested before I left. Well, they HAD, and they told me it was on. Turns out it only worked in certain banks' ATMs. So I just made a note of which one(s) accepted my card, and looked for those particular banks' ATMs from there on out.

Melanie

See the Global ATM Alliance site for banks in Spain where you can make ATM withdrawals without a fee:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

Deutsche Bank and Barclay's are partners with Bank of America in America and Scotiabank in Canada, and do not charge for ATM transactions in Spain.

Now these banks aren't always easy to come by, especially in smaller places, where they are really non-existent. In larger areas, it is worthwhile tracking them down while you're exploring the city.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A sage bit of advice I was given regarding ATMs was to try and withdraw money when the bank in question is open. The gentleman who offered it based it on his experience of having his card eaten by the machine and having to wait until the bank re-opened the following morning before he could get it back.

I never had any issue with a cash machine swallowing my card but as they say - it's better to safe than sorry.

I also agree with all of the above. I have never had a major problem with using my card at ATM. Something embarrassing did happen on my first Camino however. I couldn't get money for several days and couldn't figure out why. My Camino family took care of me, so I wasn't really worried. Eventually I planned a day to stop and figure it out by talking to someone inside a bank who might be able to help. I made one more attempt to get my money. It was then I noticed the keypad was reversed from what my robotic fingers had been pressing. Duh. I slowed down, pressed the correct pads, and got my money. Twenty-nine countries and this was my big downfall!

Hello all. My two cents. Keep in mind I do not have the experience that you all have from your actual camino walks, but I do agree with Migolito about this. I would never leave the United States for a trip to Europe without having some Euros in my pocket whatever the fee might be from here. I am 46 years old and familiar with the old expression, "The best laid plans." I have contacted my bank (ATM card) and my credit card company about my trip and they have made notes on the cards, BUT people sometimes do make mistakes. When I get to France, I will probably immediately make a withdrawal from an ATM at the airport. If it doesn't work, I will be glad to have some EURO currency in my pocket until the matter is resolved. PS...the idea about taking the Bank or Credit Card phone numbers and names with you is ideal. John

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm sure all relevant data has been shared, but to join in...

I've travelled extensively, and in general, I find most places are interested in getting your money, so (again, in general), they seem to set themselves up to get it, e.g., accept credit cards, have ATMs, etc. The catch is, that because they want your money, they may charge for it.

I've never had difficulty getting anyone to take a credit card or finding an ATM machine, even in Luxor, Egypt, Israel out by the Dead Sea, France, Scotland, New Zealand, you name it. What I have had is people try to get me to buy things that were not worth the money charged, or charging me exchange rates that were outrageous.

My thinking for myself:

1. CASH: Figure in advance how much money I may need for the trip, take about 3/4 of all I'll need with me in Euros, get the Euros in advance from my bank before I go, pre-load my money belt with half of the cash (that 3/4) I'm taking, and put the other half of the Euro cash in other secure places on my person. (So a pick-pocket anywhere couldn't get it all and I'd still have money for taxi, food, lodging, etc., if needed.)

2. CARDS: CAll before going and tell the banks in question I'll be going to Europe to walk the Camino Frances from southern France to NW Spain, yet doing some other related travel there as well....not sure exactly where I'll be spending, but these are my plans (blah, blah, blah), so they can prepare. My bank told me they will simply unblock Europe and not panic if charges are in line with me traveling there and walking the Camino. (Make sure the bank with your ATM card back home has more than enough money in it to handle your expenses that you'll be withdrawing for.)

3. PAPERS: I tend to carry important papers or cards I will need (such as passport, driver's license, credit cards) in a secure pouch around my neck so I can get at it as needed during the day. It can't be seen under my shirt, and it's double strapped. I tend to carry papers I won't need during the day but that I think are important to have (maybe itinerary, back-up card) in a money belt pouch around my waist. The Camino has a good reputation per theft; but it's a habit that works for me, and on my trip, there will also be airports, trains, other towns not on the Camino, etc., that I'll be enjoying.

4. PHONE NUMBERS: I agree it is important to pre-load your phone with all the numbers you might need: your phone carrier's international customer service line, credit card or bank numbers, specifically to your local branch, and even to someone at home or a friend who can help you with something if you need help.

For me, these preparations are normal. I've been known to travel/fly a lot at times. Having them in place, the trip becomes a breeze. You go. You enjoy. No hassles. (Usually :) ).

almhath said:
I've never had difficulty getting anyone to take a credit card or finding an ATM machine, even in Luxor, Egypt, Israel out by the Dead Sea, France, Scotland, New Zealand, you name it. What I have had is people try to get me to buy things that were not worth the money charged, or charging me exchange rates that were outrageous.

Even in Scotland?! Is that the same Scotland that gave birth to Adam Smith, the thinker behind modern day capitalism (OK, that topic's not for this forum!), which you Americans love so much? Anybody planning to visit my beautiful country don't be surprised to find an ATM without having to walk 25kms!

As a Scot I'm totally offended! (Only joking!) :lol:

I simply use ATM's on the Camino and have not had any problem. I usually carry two ATM cards when I travel in the event something does happen to one and it is not usable for some reason.
I also have traveled extensively in all parts of the world and always have used the same strategy with no problem.

I do suggest some concern over carrying "3/4 of all I will need" on the Camino. You will be staying in large rooms full of strangers...most of which will be perfectly honest and good Pilgrims.
However....the bad guys are also there from time to time. You will be going to the shower and I am sure you are planning to take it all with you..but we have all heard the stories of getting a little careless "just one time".

Large amounts of cash can be a large problem. ATM's are very easy to find. Two or three days of cash will be sufficient in my opinion.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Having had my ATM/VISA card eaten at an ATM in Italy, I highly recommend having BofA issue you an ATM only card, as they won't give you a second ATM/VISA. I got the card back the next morning, so it wasn't that big of a deal, but I had run low on cash and it gave me a bit of ajeda for the evening. I had them give me one of these a couple of years ago and when I travel I use it in the ATM's on the off chance that my card gets eaten again.

The other thing I had BofA do was to set up a secondary checking account for me where I put the money I was planning on spending on my trip into. This way on the off chance that your card is stolen the thieves cannot access all of your money, and you have your other money available to you until the bank can reverse the charges and put your cash back.

If not completely inconvenient for you get a second bank account at another bank. This way if your one card doesn't work, your other card may, and again you have the security of having your money split up just in case.

I know this sounds slightly paranoid, but I was once pickpocketed in Prague in the early 90's and trying to survive for three days while the embassy worked out a new passport and travel documents has made me overly cautious. Strangely, since I adopted this process nothing has ever happened. Except the card getting eaten.

I've only hiked the Camino one time, but I'm a flight attendant for DAL and have traveled extensively. I've seen every combination of problems as you can imagine.

Take Euro with you to begin. 100 is good- when you get euro right at the airport anyone looking knows you just loaded up with Euro. We tend to be distracted at that time by bags, plans etc as we just landed. Many FAs I know have been robbed right in the airport after the Cash machine in FRA where we line up to get Euro. We changed our habits after witnessing this.

Take a copy of the front and the back of your credit cards (which should show the numbers to call)
Then copy and paste them to an email to yourself. If you lose cards you can get the information. I also suggest that people copy their passport and take a copy with you and leave a copy with a trusted family member. Definitely take your important Docs in a carrier around your neck or waist. I use the around the neck. When I'm in another country i take it with me and make sure I take a copy of my HOTEL (in this case Albergue) information with me too.

Many of the internet machines in the places you'll stay take one Euro COIN to use the machine. The washing machines and dryers in some of the places you'll stay also take the Euro COIN. I kept a separate bag of them clipped to my belt.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back