• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need help in planning cycling route Porto-SDC

jesseye

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on camino portuguese
Hello,

I am planning my first camino from Porto to SDC and I am very excited!! I am aiming for mid-September but I have a few questions before I book my ticket.

If I take the coastal route, is 6 days sufficient? (I am a road cyclist so I'm in decent shape)
Can anyone who has cycled this route share their story with me? I'd love to know which towns you chose to stop in, how many kms you did in a day, etc.
I'm planning on renting a hybrid touring bike but unsure what kind of clothing I should wear for that in September? I am used to wearing spandex on my road bike!

Thank you!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Try this:

https://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=5260228

https://caminoportuguesporlacostaenbici.wordpress.com/

http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE4.07.Cos_Benitez.pdf

http://www.editorialbuencamino.com/caminodesantiago/29/camino-portugues-por-la-costa

(Editorial Buen camino makes excellent guides and, at least for the Norte/Primitivo always include cycling specific info).

http://www.dospedalesmilcaminos.com/2013/05/camino-portugues-de-la-costa-i.html

https://issuu.com/dospedalesmilcaminos/docs/riasbaixas

Time to brush up on your Spanish with these links I'm afraid. :rolleyes:

In one of these links they did Porto-Santiago in 3 days. Yikes!

Hello,

I am planning my first camino from Porto to SDC and I am very excited!! I am aiming for mid-September but I have a few questions before I book my ticket.

If I take the coastal route, is 6 days sufficient? (I am a road cyclist so I'm in decent shape)
Can anyone who has cycled this route share their story with me? I'd love to know which towns you chose to stop in, how many kms you did in a day, etc.
I'm planning on renting a hybrid touring bike but unsure what kind of clothing I should wear for that in September? I am used to wearing spandex on my road bike!

Thank you!!
With an average of 60 kms a day ,which is not much for an experienced biker you could do it in 4 days. Lot of Portuguese bikers do this,

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have done it on a mountain bike many times. I'd say 4 days will give you time to stop and enjoy it.

I have walk the section Porto to Rates, but only biked from Rates onwards. That first bit will be very fast, especially since there is plenty of road.
If you have to see Porto before you start (highly recommended) then you want have much reason to linger in the city center if you start at the Cathedral. If this is the case then I'd reccomend these sections:
Porto - Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima -Porriño
Porriño - Caldas de Rei
Caldas de Rei - Santiago de Compostela

In Septemeber the weather should still be pretty warm, so expect light clothing (shorts and t-shirts) with a back-up fleece and/or windcover for later in the evening / night. Keep mind you should check the weather the week before.

I have done it on a mountain bike many times. I'd say 4 days will give you time to stop and enjoy it.

I have walk the section Porto to Rates, but only biked from Rates onwards. That first bit will be very fast, especially since there is plenty of road.
If you have to see Porto before you start (highly recommended) then you want have much reason to linger in the city center if you start at the Cathedral. If this is the case then I'd reccomend these sections:
Porto - Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima -Porriño
Porriño - Caldas de Rei
Caldas de Rei - Santiago de Compostela

In Septemeber the weather should still be pretty warm, so expect light clothing (shorts and t-shirts) with a back-up fleece and/or windcover for later in the evening / night. Keep mind you should check the weather the week before.
Very good but @jesseye wants to follow the coastal route, not the central route you have biked.

I should say
Porto to Caminha or when she is in time for the ferry to A Guarda
A Guarda to Vigo
Vigo to Cessantes
Cessantes to Santiago

DOH! You're right @Albertinho ...

I've biked (in sections) the coastal from Porto to Vila Praia de Âncora. Its very flat until Esposende, with only small climbs afterwards. Anyway that first day to Caminha will be a stretch. You can allways speed tthings up by taking the N13 road northwards.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Asking for help in regard to:
Buying map of inland route porto to santiago to bike
Where to start? Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back