• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need to book in VDLP?

Miaka

Time of past OR future Camino
Next: VdLP 2024
I have walked different caminos quite a few times, but this is my first time walking the Plata (planning on starting in March 2024) and also walking post covid. I have heard from a lot of people that you cannot even function on the Frances anymore without booking ahead which saddened me a lot, considering when I first walked you couldn't even book, just had to turn up and hope for the best.

Anyone who has walked the Plata in 2023, could you please confirm something regarding this?
I prefer to walk as much as I can without the need to arrive somewhere at a certain time.
Thank you in advance!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have heard from a lot of people that you cannot even function on the Frances anymore without booking ahead
Welcome to the forum!

It is too bad that you have been left with that general impression, which isn't entirely accurate. There is more detail in this thread and this one, with some useful strategies.

Back to your question about the VDLP, I haven't walked it in a few years, but my impression is that crowding is still not a big problem. There are a few towns/villages with limited accommodation, so you will want to be aware of how many other pilgrims are likely on those stages on your day. Perhaps once you get started, you'll need to make an assessment of that.

Starting in March, you will have Easter week to deal with, so you should definitely calculate where you might be that week. If it is in one of the popular cities (anywhere in Spain), you might want to reserve in advance. For example, in Seville, it will definitely be hard to find reasonably priced accommodation that week.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Miaka. I walked the VDLP in April/May this year and there was no need to book ahead. Even though there were more pilgrims than I expected a bed was never a problem, in some places there were 6 or less in an albergue with beds for 30 or 40. I only booked ahead on 3 occasions when I wanted a private room and shower, not because of any bed shortage.

Buen Camino!

I prefer to walk as much as I can without the need to arrive somewhere at a certain time.
I think this is the wrong camino to go without planing. Sometimes the next place to stay is quite far. I would use Gronze again to see how much distance is in between accomodations.
I started march 20th at Cádiz and made the reservations for the Easter holidays, but didn't realize that the days before Easter with the parades attract many Spaniards and the accommodation is well booked.
The rest of the pilgrimage I reserved only a day to two in advance when I liked to stay in private hostels.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked in March-April of this year and only encountered a couple of times where there was an issue due to unexpected closures. Just pay attention to the stages and options and you should be ok.

Welcome to the forum!

It is too bad that you have been left with that general impression, which isn't entirely accurate. There is more detail in this thread and this one, with some useful strategies.

Back to your question about the VDLP, I haven't walked it in a few years, but my impression is that crowding is still not a big problem. There are a few towns/villages with limited accommodation, so you will want to be aware of how many other pilgrims are likely on those stages on your day. Perhaps once you get started, you'll need to make an assessment of that.

Starting in March, you will have Easter week to deal with, so you should definitely calculate where you might be that week. If it is in one of the popular cities (anywhere in Spain), you might want to reserve in advance. For example, in Seville, it will definitely be hard to find reasonably priced accommodation that week.
Thank you for your reply!
I have done the Frances ones during Semana Santa and my experience was that I only had to book in Leon. Hopefully the VDLP will be the same. But thank you for pointing it out to me, I didn't think about it at all. I will have to adjust my starting date to be in the middle of nowhere for that week as much as possible then :)
Thanks again!

Holy week on the VDlP is a blast. But... prices go up and availability goes down. If I were to do it again, at the same time, I would book like a week in advance, rather than my usual 1-2 days. Don't let that discourage you tho. There is a parade every day!
You mean for the Semana Santa or for the whole thing?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Miaka. I walked the VDLP in April/May this year and there was no need to book ahead. Even though there were more pilgrims than I expected a bed was never a problem, in some places there were 6 or less in an albergue with beds for 30 or 40. I only booked ahead on 3 occasions when I wanted a private room and shower, not because of any bed shortage.

Buen Camino!
That is very reassuring! Thank you very much for your reply. I am happy to hear that the VDLP is still not crazy. I think looking at the comments, I will plan a bit ahead for Semana Santa but otherwise let myself walk as much as I want (as long as I end up in a bed at the end). Thanks!

I think this is the wrong camino to go without planing. Sometimes the next place to stay is quite far. I would use Gronze again to see how much distance is in between accomodations.
I started march 20th at Cádiz and made the reservations for the Easter holidays, but didn't realize that the days before Easter with the parades attract many Spaniards and the accommodation is well booked.
The rest of the pilgrimage I reserved only a day to two in advance when I liked to stay in private hostels.
I understand that and believe me I am planning. However, at least on the Frances, when I booked ahead people were expecting me to get there by a certain time (usually 3-5 pm). If I am walking 30+ kms that day (which I have seen happens many times on this camino) then I want the liberty to get there at 7 pm and not be anxious about being reprimanded for having booked or something like that.

I walked in March-April of this year and only encountered a couple of times where there was an issue due to unexpected closures. Just pay attention to the stages and options and you should be ok.
Thank you! I am checking viadelaplataguide for closures so hopefully I will be well prepared. I will also check the forum when it comes to time to leave. Thanks again :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oooh I don't know the difference. I mean for the entire week before Easter...
Sorry, I meant for the whole VDLP or Semana Santa. I didn't phrase it well
Makes sense, I will definitely look out for Semana Santa, I have already googled when it is and I decided to adjust my starting date because of it ^^"

I have walked different caminos quite a few times, but this is my first time walking the Plata (planning on starting in March 2024) and also walking post covid. I have heard from a lot of people that you cannot even function on the Frances anymore without booking ahead which saddened me a lot, considering when I first walked you couldn't even book, just had to turn up and hope for the best.

Anyone who has walked the Plata in 2023, could you please confirm something regarding this?
Thank you in advance!
The one place that some of the pilgrims found difficulty booking was in Merida but this was in May. It’s also a tourist destination. I would perhaps book in the main cities for this reason. Also sometimes there are local festivals that aren’t noted publicly. I am doing the 3rd stage next year from Zamora. Enjoy the planning! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back