• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

new camino adventurer

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are nervous because you come from Canada......no need; there are many like you. :)
Sorry I am not nervous because I come from Canada...it is my first camino..was hoping to find others that may be going at the same time and could share ideas on what to take, where to stay ( I'm on a small budget)prices etc...I am a dinosaur with the computer so this is painful...thank you so much for commenting so quickly

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome gretzel, being nervous is perfectly natural at this stage, all that disappears when you start to walk. Ask any questions you have and you will get plenty answers and advice.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Welcome gretzel, being nervous is perfectly natural at this stage, all that disappears when you start to walk. Ask any questions you have and you will get plenty answers and advice.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.
thank you...that just made my day

am planning camino for Sept 2015...first go ...really nervous..I am from Canada...would appreciate any advice
Welcome. You don't have long to go and no doubt have many questions. It is always easier for other members to respond if you can identify specific concerns. It also helps if you have a quick check through the forum, or search it using the search facility, to avoid asking something that has already been answered recently.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Newby on the computer too...I have been reading the forum and wanted to interact with others...what is the most inexpensive accomodations? and what can I expect to pay a night?

Sorry I am not nervous because I come from Canada...it is my first camino..was hoping to find others that may be going at the same time and could share ideas on what to take, where to stay ( I'm on a small budget)prices etc...I am a dinosaur with the computer so this is painful...thank you so much for commenting so quickly
Welcome Gretzel, and sorry; just couldn't resist. Tell us what you need to know, flight to Europe, starting point, (depending age and fitness level, you might want to start easy), how much time you give yourself, etc. There are plenty of posts dealing with packing and its well worth to get familiar witch searching on this forum. Cost: You're able to get along with 30-35€ a day. September is a wonderful month to do the Camino.

Welcome Gretzel, and sorry; just couldn't resist. Tell us what you need to know, flight to Europe, starting point, (depending age and fitness level, you might want to start easy), how much time you give yourself, etc. There are plenty of posts dealing with packing and its well worth to get familiar witch searching on this forum. Cost: You're able to get along with 30-35€ a day. September is a wonderful month to do the Camino.
Plan is to fly to Paris,train to Bayonne,train to StJean Pierre....I am 61 but very fit 61...Have a month(or more if needed)..would like to stay in the most inexpensive accomodations if possible...how much does 30-35 C equal in Canada $ or American...is there anywhere to cash travelers cheques? is there access to ATM machines...I am checking posts about packing and hope to travel very light....thank you so much for your help....I'm so happy there are such helpful pilgrims out there

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
am planning camino for Sept 2015...first go ...really nervous..I am from Canada...would appreciate any advice

I would suggest getting a guide book. Brierley's 'A Pilgrims guide to the Camino de Santiago is a good one.

A fellow Canuck, Guy Thatcher, wrote 'A Journey of Days' and gives a good factual account of walking the camino from a pilgrim's point of view.

This forum is a good place to come with specific questions.

Plan is to fly to Paris,train to Bayonne,train to StJean Pierre....I am 61 but very fit 61...Have a month(or more if needed)..would like to stay in the most inexpensive accomodations if possible...how much does 30-35 C equal in Canada $ or American...is there anywhere to cash travelers cheques? is there access to ATM machines...I am checking posts about packing and hope to travel very light....thank you so much for your help....I'm so happy there are such helpful pilgrims out there

I spent about 30 -35 Euros per day over 50 days. This includes a couple of nights in hotels and stuff like a new pair of shoes. I usually stayed at Albergues and usually ate Menu Peregrino at the closest restaurant which is a basic 3 course meal including wine for 10 Euro.

I traveled in fall 2012. Accomodation in Albergues varied in cost from 5 Euro to 12 Euro. The lower cost albergues were run by the local governments and were well maintained but they are also crammed with many bunks.

Today a Canadian dollar is worth about 74 euro cents. It can vary up and down a few cents over the course of weeks.

ATMs are available in most towns with a sizable population. Make sure your bank knows you're travelling or they will protect your money from you accessing it. Some of the more remote areas, in particular between Astorga and Palas del Rei, are sparsely populated so you have to plan ahead.

Bring two ATM cards and a credit card. Don't bother with travelers cheques.

Hi, Gretzel! I'm from Nova Scotia but I have a few good Camino friends in Ontario - who I met on my first Camino in 2010! I've walked the Camino Frances three times; 2010 and 2011 were in September-October, and 2012 was in June-July. September-October is a beautiful golden time of year to walk, with lovely temperatures (it can get to 30°C in the afternoons but it's cooler than in the hot summer), and delicious things like blackberries and chestnuts to eat, and figs and apples. :)

Many people say that 30-35 euros per day is necessary or advisable. That translates to about $40-48 Canadian per day. However, on my three walks I've usually spent about $15-20 Canadian per day. I don't know how much prices have gone up since I last walked in 2012. I expect they've gone up somewhat, but I drink mostly water when I walk, and I buy food to cook for myself rather than eating at restaurants. I ate a lot of pilgrim meals my first year (before I realised how great it is to cook at albergues that have kitchen facilities), but I didn't like paying so much for food I wasn't crazy about. When I shop and cook for myself I get exactly what I want, for less cost. And it's fun to cook with other people.

Generally speaking, albergues start at 5 euros per night, and many are about 8 euros per night (especially once you get to Galicia). The idea behind donativo albergues is that you pay what you can afford, and I keep it as a rule of thumb to aim for at least 5 euros per night there as well (though it's between you and your conscience, basically). From there, prices go up as high as you want to pay... I've paid anything between 5 and 15 euros for staying overnight at different albergues over the years. It's usually more for private albergues. I've also splurged a few times and stayed at a hostel or in a hotel room, for 30-35 euros (not often, but a few times). The first couple of nights, if you start in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port (SJPP), can be pricey. For example, if you stay at Orisson for dinner, a bed, and breakfast, it's 35 euros.

I think it's not a good idea to take travelers cheques with you. I think you might have some trouble trying to cash them (but I could be wrong - I've never taken them with me so I really don't know). There are lots of bank machines along the way. I've always had the best success with using Santander Bank machines. There are a couple of Spanish banks that don't seem to like Canadian cards! Luckily my transactions with them have just been cancelled (or rejected). No harm done, when that's happened I've just gone to look for a Santander bank instead. ;)

A lot of people take money out at the big stops along the way - so in Pamplona, then again in Logroño if you need to top up, then Burgos, and León, then Astorga if you need to top up, and then Santiago. There are other places in between if you need to use an ATM (like Santo Domingo or Nájera, Ponferrada or Portomarin). Not in O Cebreiro though! I got caught without money there my first year! But it's a good idea to buy some euros at the bank in Canada to bring with you to start off. I usually go with about 120 euros. A credit card is helpful. Not many albergues (if any) will take one, and neither will small shops in towns or villages, but if you need to buy transportation while you're there (like a train or plane ticket), or make some other large purchase (I bought a rain jacket in León my first year) and want to save your cash, the credit card can help. It can also help with avoiding bank charges for making withdrawals at bank machines. My bank charges me $5 for each withdrawal from bank machines overseas.

You have lots of time to read and research, and ask more questions. Have fun planning!

And Buen Camino!

Rachel

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OK, some basic general stuff you can/should really look-up yourself.....its about 40 to 45 C$ a day. Plenty ATM, a cash-reserve of 300€ (about 400 C$) in your pocket will keep you comfortable. TC will not help you on the Camino, CC only to some extend, Albergues will accept neither. To extract cash with CC works but is very costly, so talk to your cash-card issuing bank which plan works best/cheapest for Euro-withdrawals (There are considerable cost differences!)
SJPdP to SDC in 1 month is very tight, 35 days more likely. Pamplona to SdC in 1 month very doable, in which case you should look-up direct flights to Barcelona or Madrid and take a train from there.

Hi, Gretzel! I'm from Nova Scotia but I have a few good Camino friends in Ontario - who I met on my first Camino in 2010! I've walked the Camino Frances three times; 2010 and 2011 were in September-October, and 2012 was in June-July. September-October is a beautiful golden time of year to walk, with lovely temperatures (it can get to 30°C in the afternoons but it's cooler than in the hot summer), and delicious things like blackberries and chestnuts to eat, and figs and apples. :)

Many people say that 30-35 euros per day is necessary or advisable. That translates to about $40-48 Canadian per day. However, on my three walks I've usually spent about $15-20 Canadian per day. I don't know how much prices have gone up since I last walked in 2012. I expect they've gone up somewhat, but I drink mostly water when I walk, and I buy food to cook for myself rather than eating at restaurants. I ate a lot of pilgrim meals my first year (before I realised how great it is to cook at albergues that have kitchen facilities), but I didn't like paying so much for food I wasn't crazy about. When I shop and cook for myself I get exactly what I want, for less cost. And it's fun to cook with other people.

Generally speaking, albergues start at 5 euros per night, and many are about 8 euros per night (especially once you get to Galicia). The idea behind donativo albergues is that you pay what you can afford, and I keep it as a rule of thumb to aim for at least 5 euros per night there as well (though it's between you and your conscience, basically). From there, prices go up as high as you want to pay... I've paid anything between 5 and 15 euros for staying overnight at different albergues over the years. It's usually more for private albergues. I've also splurged a few times and stayed at a hostel or in a hotel room, for 30-35 euros (not often, but a few times). The first couple of nights, if you start in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port (SJPP), can be pricey. For example, if you stay at Orisson for dinner, a bed, and breakfast, it's 35 euros.

I think it's not a good idea to take travelers cheques with you. I think you might have some trouble trying to cash them (but I could be wrong - I've never taken them with me so I really don't know). There are lots of bank machines along the way. I've always had the best success with using Santander Bank machines. There are a couple of Spanish banks that don't seem to like Canadian cards! Luckily my transactions with them have just been cancelled (or rejected). No harm done, when that's happened I've just gone to look for a Santander bank instead. ;)

A lot of people take money out at the big stops along the way - so in Pamplona, then again in Logroño if you need to top up, then Burgos, and León, then Astorga if you need to top up, and then Santiago. There are other places in between if you need to use an ATM (like Santo Domingo or Nájera, Ponferrada or Portomarin). Not in O Cebreiro though! I got caught without money there my first year! But it's a good idea to buy some euros at the bank in Canada to bring with you to start off. I usually go with about 120 euros. A credit card is helpful. Not many albergues (if any) will take one, and neither will small shops in towns or villages, but if you need to buy transportation while you're there (like a train or plane ticket), or make some other large purchase (I bought a rain jacket in León my first year) and want to save your cash, the credit card can help. It can also help with avoiding bank charges for making withdrawals at bank machines. My bank charges me $5 for each withdrawal from bank machines overseas.

You have lots of time to read and research, and ask more questions. Have fun planning!

And Buen Camino!

Rachel

And Buen Camino!

Rachel

thanks you so much...that was great info...you have just made me a happy person...I was getting frustrated being a newby with the computer and trying to get my plans in order..can't wait

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thanks you so much...that was great info...you have just made me a happy person...I was getting frustrated being a newby with the computer and trying to get my plans in order..can't wait
Hi... I am walking my first Camino Frances too.... hoping to leave on Aug 24...just waiting to hear about my reservation for my first night at Orisson...seems to take a week or so for them to respond. Am learning alot from from the forum...spending lots of time reading.
susieu

There is a whole section on this forum https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/frequently-asked-questions.16/ dedicated to the FAQ most new pilgrims have. You will find a great starting point there.

Accommodation in albergues ranges typically from donation (which doesn't mean free) to ~12 Euro per night and person.
Traveler checks are not widely, read barely accepted, in Europe, take 2 ATM cards with pins and inform your bank that you are travelling abroad. ATMs are plenty and your guide book will warn you of longer stretches without them.
On a very basic budget you can do the Camino Frances for 20-25 Euro/day, meaning staying only in albergues and preparing your own food and not indulging in any extras.

Buen Camino, SY

The best advice I can give you is to read the packing threads here. I think sawing the handle off your toothbrush might be overdoing things - but really, you will appreciate a light backpack!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You might want to ask your dentist about that...

But seriously, as long as you get used to doing laundry just about every single day, you can get away with carrying very little.

(But you'll pry my Crocs off my cold, dead feet. NOTHING has been more practical in the evenings, in the shower, when DOING that laundry - and I have walked half a day in them, too, when I had a threatening blister.)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You don't have to be nervous. You will make lots off new friends along the Camino. Wish you a grate adventure and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Saw your tooth brush in half, drill some holes into the remaining handle AND pull out every third bristle will save you a lot of weight! SY

Saw your tooth brush in half, drill some holes into the remaining handle AND pull out every third bristle will save you a lot of weight! SY

You're just playing at it ! I had all my teeth extracted before my Camino. Saved weight by not having a tooth brush or tooth paste.
Saved money on food as well as I was restricted to drinking soup !

As others have said, lot's of good advice on the forum, spoilt only by some who make ridiculous suggestions ( coughs )

Gretzel, this was my first holiday abroad and like you I was very nervous. After a couple of days of walking I only had two
regrets. That I hadn't done it sooner and that I "only" had four weeks to go.

To quote Minnie Haskins :- "I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year : "Give me a light that I may tread safely
into the unknown." And he replied : "Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the Hand of God. That shall be to
you better than light and safer than a known way." So I went forth, and finding the Hand of God, trod gladly into the night.

Buen Camino

You're just playing at it ! I had all my teeth extracted before my Camino. Saved weight by not having a tooth brush or tooth paste. Saved money on food as well as I was restricted to drinking soup !

You.Own.Me.A.New.Keyboard.Spilled.Vino. On.That.One.Laughing.Out.Loud.

To quote Minnie Haskins :- "I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year : "Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown." And he replied : "Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the Hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way." So I went forth, and finding the Hand of God, trod gladly into the night....

Simply beautiful!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back