• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New member taking the plunge, mixing metaphors.

Rebecca

Hello. Rebecca here, from Los Angeles, Calif., U.S.A.
After spending countless hours reading about the Caminos and pilgrimages (and not even skimming the surface of all that's out there), I am FINALLY walking (from Roncesvalles) in June. Last June, my father died and it has been a profoundly sad year. I miss him terribly, and so many things remind me of him. When he was in hospital he constantly had the basketball and baseball games on the television and radio. Those seasons are now in full swing and I can't bear to be in town on the anniv. of his death.
I know that walking the Camino should not be about running away, but considering I've wanted to go on the Camino since 2004, I would like to take the opportunity now to pull myself together. It's overdue. I don't have specific expectations; I do know that that I am fortunate I can do this.

This weekend I bought what looks like the right backpack for me--even my family was impressed. It has been to South America 4 times, and I get to introduce it to NW Spain.

Thank you for all the postings on the Forum. Your generosity overwhelms and inspires me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Rebecca, and welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your moving story with us.

My father died when I was a child, and even though it was so long ago, I know that some of my Camino walking hours were spent thinking about him, and what his presence had meant in my childhood and for my life. There were days when the tears flowed freely, and I know I met some others who experienced this. Exhaustion strips away a few defences.

But laughter also happened freely: I imagine all pilgrims have had times of laughter that only other pilgrims could understand! I hope that you will know some tears and some laughter that will bring you some new peace when you return home. I truly believe that the very rhythm of so much walking brings about its own healing and peace.
Margaret

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome to the forum.

I hope your Camino offers you all the peace and solace you seek. I think it is a wonderful place to allow yourself to grieve and heal.

Buen Camino,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Reb,
Your father might have thought you were out of your mind for doing this long trek - but I'm sure he'd also be very proud of you. Carry a little pebble from home and leave it at the base of the Cruz de Ferro in his memory.
un abrazo peregrina,

Hi Rebecca,

My father died 2 months before my pilgrimage in 2006. I sent you a PM.

Melinda

KiwiNomad06 said:
Hi Rebecca, and welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your moving story with us.

My father died when I was a child, and even though it was so long ago, I know that some of my Camino walking hours were spent thinking about him, and what his presence had meant in my childhood and for my life. There were days when the tears flowed freely, and I know I met some others who experienced this. Exhaustion strips away a few defences.

But laughter also happened freely: I imagine all pilgrims have had times of laughter that only other pilgrims could understand! I hope that you will know some tears and some laughter that will bring you some new peace when you return home. I truly believe that the very rhythm of so much walking brings about its own healing and peace.
Margaret

Yes! How lovely. Thank you. And I had a chance to view your videos on youtube.com. I looked at EVERYTHING, from the spiderwebs, flowers, to what kind of shoes and shorts pilgrims wore. I could feel the relief of the three pilgrims who were resting on chaise lounges with their feet elevated. aaaaahhhhhh! Thank you again. I will keep you posted, okay? Oh, about one of the slides: the Asian-looking man sitting in an indoor cafe sort of looks like my father! Very cool.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Deirdre said:
Hi Rebecca,
Deirdre, Thank you! And Buen Camino to everyone, indeed.

Welcome to the forum.

I hope your Camino offers you all the peace and solace you seek. I think it is a wonderful place to allow yourself to grieve and heal.

Buen Camino,

sillydoll said:
Hi Reb,
Your father might have thought you were out of your mind for doing this long trek - but I'm sure he'd also be very proud of you. Carry a little pebble from home and leave it at the base of the Cruz de Ferro in his memory.
un abrazo peregrina,

That is so true! That just made me laugh out loud. Thank you. And I will definitely bring a pebble to leave in his memory.

Rebecca said:
I looked at EVERYTHING, from the spiderwebs, flowers, to what kind of shoes and shorts pilgrims wore. I could feel the relief of the three pilgrims who were resting on chaise lounges with their feet elevated. aaaaahhhhhh! Thank you again. I will keep you posted, okay? Oh, about one of the slides: the Asian-looking man sitting in an indoor cafe sort of looks like my father! Very cool.

I was one of those lying down with feet up on that chaise lounge and it was luvverly! The photo of the Asian looking man sitting..... that was a Japanese man called Shinichi. I first met him at Orisson, and then saw him on the climb up over the pass in the Pyrenees. There is another photo of him http://chemincamino08.blogspot.com/2008/07/30-may.html with my friends from Quebec, taken as we are nearly ready to leave France behind. We met up every so often along the way. Then the day we were approaching Santiago, my Quebec friends and I were wondering about him, and if he had already reached Santiago. We stopped at Monte de Gozo, as the weather was lousy, and we decided to leave the last four km for the next day. And who should arrive but Shinichi!! So this photo is taken indoors at Monte de Gozo albergue.

I laughed when you mentioned pilgrim clothes. I am a bit short-sighted, but I never had any problem recognising pilgrims I knew from a distance. I could always tell them from their clothes!

I look forward to hearing about how it all goes. I know a family from my home town who are leaving from Roncesvalles to walk in June...you never know, you might meet up with them!
Margaret

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sorry to hear about your father's passing. The Camino will help you sort things out. :) You'll have lots of "alone time" where you can think things through without other things distracting you (besides bed bugs, blisters, rocks, & another $$###@@@ climb up to an albergue) ;) . You'll have ups & downs, good days & bad, but overall, you will have a good experience. :) Buen Camino! Feel free to check out my blog & ask any questions you might have. :)

Kelly

WolverineDG said:
Sorry to hear about your father's passing. The Camino will help you sort things out. :) You'll have lots of "alone time" where you can think things through without other things distracting you (besides bed bugs, blisters, rocks, & another $$###@@@ climb up to an albergue) ;) . You'll have ups & downs, good days & bad, but overall, you will have a good experience. :) Buen Camino! Feel free to check out my blog & ask any questions you might have. :)

Kelly
Kelly, Thank you for the good wishes. The forum has empowered me like I never imagined! And I needed that. Thanks also for your blog. I hope you are feeling stronger each day. Gratefully,
Rebecca

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.