Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New off-road route into A Rúa - highly recommended!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I pulled this out of a more general Invierno discussion, because it is a recent and hugely improved way to walk into A Rúa.

You will have two choices — the roadside or the route that is shown in BP’s pictures above. Since the mojón indicates that the off-road route is the “alternativo”, I think we should give a general heads up that it is a far superior alternative. In fact, I can’t think of any reason to leave the mojones and arrows along the side of the road into A Rúa, but there must be some rationale that someone is applying somewhere.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked this very pleasant new route in May 2022.

At the point where the Camino reaches the road just after the dam, there was a large noticeboard that showed some options and said the road route was hazardous. I found the board to be confusing, and the only mojón I saw was still pointing down the road. However, I decided to go for the new one.

You have to cross the road to go under the highway overpass, and then you will see a new mojón pointing leftward to the new path on the north side of the highway. The first part of the path was a bit overgrown when I was there, so I initially had some doubts, but it soon became a nice new path with great views. After initially diverging, it continued closely paralleling the highway but up high above it.

This Wikiloc track shows the new route.

I think we should give a general heads up that it is a far superior alternative.
Absolutely. And far safer.
This is wonderful news!
road route was hazardous.
Scary as can be. You walk on the edge of a road with no shoulder - just a retaining wall above a drop-off (photo is looking back the way I'd come):
20190606_125746.jpg
Fast local traffic sspeeds around a blind curve, and clearly are not expecting pilgrims when we appear in front of them.

After threading that needle, it's unpleasant on the straightaway into town, too. Not a lot of room for error. Finally closer to town, there's an Invierno signboard followed by a sidewalk.
20190606_130750.jpg
[Edit - messing around with Googlemaps, I see that since I took this photo the Camino Invierno sign has been removed.]

Last edited:
I walked this "alternativa" today and it was very well marked. Very pleasant walk. I found the info board ok and once you understand that you need to go under the underpass, there is a mojón there that shows the way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back