• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New resource for Camino Mozárabe

islandwalker

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés and routes in Andalucia
The Almeria branch of ADR Alpujarra has recently put up a series of 13 videos (each about 12 minutes long) on the historical and geographical features to be seen while walking the Camino Mozarabe. I found them quite interesting. Topics touched upon include such things as noteworthy rivers, trees, aqueducts, Roman ruins, Copper and Bronze Age settlements, old bridges, ermitas, Muslim forts, aljibes (water tanks), eras (threshing floors), coats of arms, churches, local crafts, sundials, historic buildings, statues, famous residents, artwork, mines, cave houses, etc. It adds a lot context to what you see as you walk. They are in Spanish, but if you watch them on Chrome with the Language Reactor extension enabled, you can read the subtitles in English. The Spanish itself is quite clear and not too fast.

Below are links to the introductory video and the 12 videos on individual villages.

El Camino mozárabe de Santiago en la Provincia de Almería : Video promocional del Camino Mozárabe
- Etapa 1. Almería- Rioja- Gádor- Santa Fé de Mondujar : 23,59 KM
RIOJA
GÁDOR
SANTA FÉ DE MONDÚJAR
- Etapa 2. Santa Fé de Mondújar- Alhabia-Alsodux- Santa Cruz de Marchena- Alboloduy : 15,20 KM
ALHABIA
ALSODUX
SANTA CRUZ DE MARCHENA
ALBOLOODUY
- Etapa 3. Alboloduy- Nacimiento-Doña María- Ocaña- Abla :28,63 KM
NACIMIENTO
LAS TRES VILLAS : DOÑA MARÍA Y OCAÑA
ABLA
- Etapa 4. Abla- Abrucena- Fiñana- Huéneja : 20,94 KM
ABRUCENA
FIÑANA

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If I do get brave enough to start from Almeria is there a direct train from Madrid? Por favor!
After watching the videos I ended up just getting a 1-way plane ticket from MAD to LEI (Almeria). it is like 1 hour 10 minutes instead of like 7 hours (train). Cost about $100. I ended up choosing the flight that left at 12:40, so I have 3 hours or so from arrival from the USA until my connection departs. There were less expensive options earlier and later in the day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
a 1-way plane ticket from MAD to LEI (Almeria).
That is great news, @Damien Reynolds. In addition to taking a bus or taxi from the airport into Almeria, if it interests you, it also possible to walk 9 km directly from the airport into the city along a very nice paseo maritimo. It's even along a camino route - Stage one in reverse of the new Ruta del Argar. Here's the wikiloc track: https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-sender...ia-etapa-1-de-almeria-a-cabo-de-gata-59928106

If I do get brave enough to start from Almeria is there a direct train from Madrid? Por favor!
When I flew from NZ in March 2023, the Madrid flight included in the same price the leg to Almería. The key was taking the Almería leg within 24 hours of arriving in Madrid. Unfortunately my luggage didn't go with me, but Nely, one of the amigos, took me back to the airport to collect it later in the day.

That is great news, @Damien Reynolds. In addition to taking a bus or taxi from the airport into Almeria, if it interests you, it also possible to walk 9 km directly from the airport into the city along a very nice paseo maritimo. It's even along a camino route - Stage one in reverse of the new Ruta del Argar. Here's the wikiloc track: https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-sender...ia-etapa-1-de-almeria-a-cabo-de-gata-59928106
Awesome! I was hoping there was something like this!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I took the direct train that leaves Madrid - Atocha at 8.19am and arrives in Almeria at 2.30pm (Intercity - 00276). I booked the train from the Renfe website a few weeks before my trip.
Did you enjoy the Mozarabe and were you alone?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
According to Rome to Rio there is a change in Granada.
Last year I caught a direct train from Madrid to Almeria, not via Granda.

The train was somewhat fast but not a "high(est) speed" train. In parts the scenery was spectacular which you can enjoy at the modest speed along sections of windy route that does not go via Granada.

From memory 8 am departure from Atocha for a mid afternoon arrival.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back