• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New walking Shoes

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Getting excited today, tomorrow I'm off to buy some new walking shoes, my current one's are Meindl which I've had for 3about 3 years and just recently had new soles on. But as we all know it's no good just having one pair of walk wear. My problem has been that in the past I've got shoes that really fit well, then when I need a replacement they stop making that particular model.
So Meindl have produced a new shoes called the Active, from what I can make out it's as near to damn to my Meindl Philadelphia's but a lot lighter. So taking into account my age (old with white hair) just in case they stop making this model, would you buy two pairs, this with my others would probably see me through my camino walking ( she who must be obeyed would like that now).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ive heard that many people do indeed buy more than one pair of their favorite footwear for exactly this reason, so yeah, it makes sense. I'd check that the new ones are as good as the previous ones before bulk buying though!

Davey

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Probably not a bad idea. I love Brooks Cascadias. I am on my third different incarnation. I like my new ones a lot but my first pair was the best pair.

Getting excited today, tomorrow I'm off to buy some new walking shoes, my current one's are Meindl which I've had for 3about 3 years and just recently had new soles on. But as we all know it's no good just having one pair of walk wear. My problem has been that in the past I've got shoes that really fit well, then when I need a replacement they stop making that particular model.
So Meindl have produced a new shoes called the Active, from what I can make out it's as near to damn to my Meindl Philadelphia's but a lot lighter. So taking into account my age (old with white hair) just in case they stop making this model, would you buy two pairs, this with my others would probably see me through my camino walking ( she who must be obeyed would like that now).

Yes, buy two pair; but ONLY after you've had a chance to wear your first pair for a few weeks so that you have a chance to really get focused on how the shoes perform and can sort out any teeny issues that can become absolutely aggravating. Teeny issues in footwear seem to never get noticed right out of the box; they only begin to come to the surface and grab attention after one puts at least a good few days of extended wearing while putting some miles on them. Make sure that the "new car smell" of a new shoe fades to the background a bit before getting that second pair.

When you get the second pair (if you do), do not just keep them in the box in the back of the closet until the first pair is worn out. Wear both pairs in alternating fashion be it every other day, week, or month. You will actually extend the life of both pairs significantly longer.

Probably not a bad idea. I love Brooks Cascadias. I am on my third different incarnation. I like my new ones a lot but my first pair was the best pair.
Isn't it a frustrating thing when the manufacturers 'improve' your favorite walking shoe, and it just isn't as good as before. The guy I buy my shoes from says that happens with every change, some love it, some hate it. And I guess a lot buy it for the first time and know no different.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Great idea. I bought a pair of Merrell Moab Vents a few weeks ago to replace the Moabs I've had for years. I had to go up a size as the fitting has definitely changed. It took an age to get that confirmed in my head. I kept thinking my regular size MUST fit!? But it didn't and I have broken them in and they are super comfortable. I would not have had to go through that process if I had bought two pairs all those years ago. I suppose I had better go to Go Outdoors and buy a second pair of the new size. In 2022 I will be grateful I did!

Isn't it a frustrating thing when the manufacturers 'improve' your favorite walking shoe, and it just isn't as good as before. The guy I buy my shoes from says that happens with every change, some love it, some hate it. And I guess a lot buy it for the first time and know no different.
Luckily for me the changes haven't been great enough for me to seek a different brand. I should say lucky so far as I do not know how this new version will treat me on the Norte next week.

Hi I am trying out at home a pair of Meindl walking shoes that are in the "Comfort Fit" range meaning they are wider at the widest part of the foot than regular ones. I am impressed with them so far as many of the standard brands I tries on were too tight across the foot.I also noted that HanWag have a last that is designed for people with bunions; impressed the German manufacturers offer these variations. Not sure if others do likewise.
Happymark

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have noticed that over time, my feet have changed, necessitating a larger size shoe both in length and width. I had a pair of Keen Targhee IIs that were so comfortable when I bought them in 2012, but recently had to replace them as my toes are now touching the end.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.