• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie with lots of questions!

Nichola

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk Camino Del Norde in June 2016 - starting in Santandar.
Hi Everyone!

I am going to be walking from Santandar to Santiago in June this year. Has anyone here any advice/ tips for the route? Is it very difficult along this route ( I have a friend with a dodgy knee joining me possibly)? I also will be starting the first four days alone, is it safe enough? And in terms of accommodation, will I find some easy enough? I'm very keen on sticking with the route just would like to get some info on it.

Thanks!

Nic.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Nichola you will find the answers to most of your questions by browsing the Camino del Norte section where there is a wealth of information that should meet most of your needs. If after that initial research you have specific rather than generic questions you will find many here more than willing to help.

A 'dodgy' knee might be a challenge on any route. How 'dodgy' and why (subject to disclosure of personal and sensitive information on a public forum) might help members answer. A look at http://www.gronze.com/camino-norte will give you information on elevations, declinations, accommodation and likely daily distances.

Happy planning

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can tell you from experience (I'm current in the Norte) June accommodation will more at plainty but also you will be competing with the tourists for the most part they can care less if you are a tourist or peregrino weekend prices double sometimes triple as in the case in in San Sebastián unless you only stay in albergues, in my case not all of then are open, the way marking are a mess comparing to the Frances if you walk after a rain following the yellow signs it's slippery slide and also a lot I mean a lot of road walking I have three guides and none of then are really worth a crap. the next Camino del Norte I would do will be a renting a car in Irun and driving around to see the coast it's beautiful :) so training it's very important do to the constant up and down sometimes very steep even though the evelations are low, doing step training should help

Buen Camino

Welcome Nichola, I haven't walked the Norte but many here have and will be along soon to give you tips and advice.
Buen Camino.
@Nichola you will find the answers to most of your questions by browsing the Camino del Norte section where there is a wealth of information that should meet most of your needs. If after that initial research you have specific rather than generic questions you will find many here more than willing to help.

A 'dodgy' knee might be a challenge on any route. How 'dodgy' and why (subject to disclosure of personal and sensitive information on a public forum) might help members answer. A look at http://www.gronze.com/camino-norte will give you information on elevations, declinations, accommodation and likely daily distances.

Happy planning

Wow! Thank you for that link! It is so helpful. Exactly what I need! Can I ask about the albergues ..is that what they are called? They are a form of hostel, correct? Is it first come, first served basis for these places? I think I am afraid of having no place to stay in some places if I end up getting there late or something.

I can tell you from experience (I'm current in the Norte) June accommodation will more at plainty but also you will be competing with the tourists for the most part they can care less if you are a tourist or peregrino weekend prices double sometimes triple as in the case in in San Sebastián unless you only stay in albergues, in my case not all of then are open, the way marking are a mess comparing to the Frances if you walk after a rain following the yellow signs it's slippery slide and also a lot I mean a lot of road walking I have three guides and none of then are really worth a crap. the next Camino del Norte I would do will be a renting a car in Irun and driving around to see the coast it's beautiful :) so training it's very important do to the constant up and down sometimes very steep even though the evelations are low, doing step training should help

Buen Camino

Thank you for all that information, so helpful! I will start practicing this weekend! :) Have fun on the rest of your trip.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Albergues are, mostly, accommodation dedicated to Pilgrims. They provide bunk-rooms for sleeping, (usually) hot showers and the usual facilities. Gronze will provide details on individual Albergues. Some privately run Albergues accept booking, again Gronze will provide.

I have found out also that most all of the albergues so far takes who ever walks thru the doors not just pilgrims

Zzotte

I have found out also that most all of the albergues so far takes who ever walks thru the doors not just pilgrims

Zzotte
Many many do, that's true, certainly more common than on the Frances. This being said, I have never shied away from them like I do in cities like Barcelona or O Porto where some of these places are a place for party-goers to crash at 5:45 am.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So far so good with one exception in avilés "some people" got up at 6am flash Lights on unconsidered bastards I said all bars are still closed, no trains or buses are running and does not get dark until 9:30pm so shut the you know what lights off, off course they did not hahaha but they got out very fast haha I can only tolerate so much
Zzotte

So far so good with one exception in avilés "some people" got up at 6am flash Lights on unconsidered bastards I said all bars are still closed, no trains or buses are running and does not get dark until 9:30pm so shut the you know what lights off, off course they did not hahaha but they got out very fast haha I can only tolerate so much
Zzotte

Make sure if you go as far as Tapia that there is toilet paper and if there is Zz save some as we found the local surfing lads used the facilities and the paper disappeared mid afternoon

Thanks for the heads up, I past Tapia today with winds from the nort at least 50 km/br no fun :(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Haha, all very helpful tips. It will be an experience to say the least :) I am wondering is the Northern Route for very experienced hikers? I fancy the challenge but I want to enjoy it too. And to do it for the scenary etc.

Haha, all very helpful tips. It will be an experience to say the least :) I am wondering is the Northern Route for very experienced hikers? I fancy the challenge but I want to enjoy it too. And to do it for the scenary etc.
Hi Nichola,

The del Norte is a beautiful route - you are in for some intense pleasure when you walk this Way as the coast is just lovely and the countryside is a riot of colour in spring. Don't worry too much about accomodation, something will always turn up, and the infrastructure increases each year. There is a fair bit of hard surface walking, so my advice is wear shoes that are comfy and very breathable so your feet don't get too hot. Enjoy the journey!!!

BK

Hi Nichola,

The del Norte is a beautiful route - you are in for some intense pleasure when you walk this Way as the coast is just lovely and the countryside is a riot of colour in spring. Don't worry too much about accomodation, something will always turn up, and the infrastructure increases each year. There is a fair bit of hard surface walking, so my advice is wear shoes that are comfy and very breathable so your feet don't get too hot. Enjoy the journey!!!

BK

Thanks so much! I'm doing lots of research and getting very excited! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You could say my mom had "dodgy" knee as well, she relied heavily on her walking sticks, the hills were killer though, she would basically zig zag down the hills, took her three times longer but she did it!

You could say my mom had "dodgy" knee as well, she relied heavily on her walking sticks, the hills were killer though, she would basically zig zag down the hills, took her three times longer but she did it!

So my friend with the bad knee has decided to opt for the French route. I am still going to chance the Northern route though. I'm feeling nervous about it now! I'm sure I'll be fine though?!

Half way through I will need to maybe bus it by some towns just so I can make it to Santiago. There are buses between some of the towns and villages right?

Yes bus schedule info is often available in the Auberges and hostals.
In general peregrinos take the Metro out of Bilbao and the train out of Santander (to Mogro) to avoid some 'boring' parts.
You might also want to use the bus in case of a very long etappe, on a rainy day, or depending on your peregrino friends (sometimes one with fysical problems wants to stay with the group and need some 'recovery' time.)
One of your earlier remarks about 'arriving late': don't forget you will start early (most between 7-9 am) and (depend on temperature) want to stop between 3-5 pm, in order to recover for the next day.
To find accomodation in the bigger cities during the weekend might be harder: book ahead, stop early or stay outside the city.
Bon camino, Gerald

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes bus schedule info is often available in the Auberges and hostals.
In general peregrinos take the Metro out of Bilbao and the train out of Santander (to Mogro) to avoid some 'boring' parts.
You might also want to use the bus in case of a very long etappe, on a rainy day, or depending on your peregrino friends (sometimes one with fysical problems wants to stay with the group and need some 'recovery' time.)
One of your earlier remarks about 'arriving late': don't forget you will start early (most between 7-9 am) and (depend on temperature) want to stop between 3-5 pm, in order to recover for the next day.
To find accomodation in the bigger cities during the weekend might be harder: book ahead, stop early or stay outside the city.
Bon camino, Gerald

Super, thank you. Looking at a rough plan I will need a day or two to stop in some places and will take the bus where possible. Great tip on booking accommodation in the cities too, I will organise that today. Leaving this weekend now.. I'm very excited! :)

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.