• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

no blankets means bring more?

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
it sounds like the Camino is changing a bit
many of you have reassured us newbies that warmth can be moderated on cold nights by use of a bag and /or liner with sleeping in clothing and access to Aubergues' blankets

I was only taking a 1 lb ultralight bag

if Aubergues are not supplying blankets any more, I get the feeling my September /October Camino may be better with at least a liner as well?

temps in October look like they're in the 40's at night by the end
nanc

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
many of you have reassured us newbies that warmth can be moderated on cold nights by use of a bag and /or liner with sleeping in clothing and access to Aubergues' blankets

if Aubergues are not supplying blankets any more, I get the feeling my September /October Camino may be better with at least a liner as well?

nanc
Hola, Nanc,

Well, Camino is everchanging ;)
And recent post about albergues that don't provide blankets anymore doesn't mean ALL of them does that. Also your lightweight sleeping bag will be more than sufficient as there will hardly be 40F or lower inside the albergues even in October. Don't worry :)

Ultreia!

I have no doubt that there will still be blankets in various albergues on the CF. All of them? No, of course not and I don't think blanket availability was ever something that was touted as 100% anyway.
A lightweight bag is all you need. You are sleeping indoors.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked from Sept 25-Oct 31st. Although this is still summer in Spain, very warm during the day, morning and evenings are colder. I only used a lightweight 15c bag (700g). Most alberques would have blankets. Only some municipal units one has to be concerned about. If budget is not a major issue, opting to stay in private alberques would almost always guarantee blankets and better facilities.
In the worst case, you can wear a layer under the sleeping bag.

if Aubergues are not supplying blankets any more,
I'm pretty sure that the changes in albergues are leading toward providing more comfort to pilgrims rather than less. The decision regarding what warmth and rain protection you take has always been a calculated risk.

Well, of COURSE I have to weigh in, given that I walked Camino Frances from October 1st through November 10th in 2015.

For most of the journey, I was way too warm at night to consider using my sleeping bag, so I shipped it forward to Ivar.

October can be rainy, but it was a dry, hot month in 2015. The ONLY time I had issues with cold were descending from O'Cebreiro, when --in the next Brierley stage--I slept at an albergue in Hospital. It was miserably cold, with people leaving at 2 am just to walk it off (the cold, that is).

If I had only kept my sleeping bag for that ONE night, ha ha! So, coping with that? The Altus poncho makes a great blanket at night. If you are freezing, layer up. No tight layers--the air between layers must get warm. Then, spread that big, sweaty tent over your body. That was how I got through the night. Did I mention that I was on a top bunk?

For cold, miserable nights, it sometimes helps me to have a little swallow of red wine....

Don't pack much. Your back and feet suffer for 6-8 hours for stuff you won't need.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Altus poncho makes a great blanket at night. If you are freezing, layer up. No tight layers--the air between layers must get warm. Then, spread that big, sweaty tent over your body. That was how I got through the night. Did I mention that I was on a top bunk?

Excellent advice, Deb! Also poncho is very useful in strong cold wind especially on Meseta where on flat terrain people sweat less.

Sleeping on top bunk could add a degree (C) because warm(er) air tend to move up. Good move :)

I have never understood people who advise taking only a liner and relying on the albergues for blankets. If the blankets are wool they will not be washed every day and if they are polyester/fleecy ones they will seem warm for a while and then just get clammy. Also there's not always enough blankets for all the people in the large munis.

A liner weighs what - 150 g for silk and 250 g for thermolite? and a lightweight sleeping bag as little as 5-600 g for a synthetic that can be put in a washing machine (mine cost £25, see blog post) or even less for down. For me it will always be worth carrying the difference of a couple of hundred grammes to be able to get a good night's sleep regardless of the blanket situation. I also wear my merino tights, tops and socks to bed and will add a fleece hat and put my poncho over the bag if it gets too bad. I agree with @CaminoDebrita that a little tipple of red wine and a top bunk also helps, as does a quick jog on the spot before you climb into the bag to warm it up!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did Caminos #1 and #2 without any type of sleeping system at all. Relied on blankets at the albergues when they were available and many nights just slept on top of the mattress. Can't say I ever had a sleepless night on those Caminos due to being cold. The only time I had a difficult time sleeping is when other pilgrim(s) insisted on keeping all the doors and windows shut due to the dangers of the night air (what da ....?). The room quickly gets stuffy, smelly and warm humid with the warmth emitted by so many human bodies in a relatively small space. A couple of times I got out of the room in the middle of the night and laid down on a couch in the common area.
But yes, having a sleep system of some kind, even if it's just a lightweight liner does add a measure of comfort and security knowing you have it if needed.

if Aubergues are not supplying blankets any more
Most still supply them. You may have to ask in the spring and summer. A thread last year on albergues without blankets only had Roncesvalles and Leon on it, plus some xunta albergues in Galicia (most pilgrims don't stay there, choosing from the numerous private albergues instead).

If you have the misfortune to find a new one without blankets, go to another albergue, sleep in your clothes, take an emergency mylar blanket, or head for an hostal! Carrying extra weight for 33 days when you might use it once may not be the best choice.

I feel like the odd one out now but I'll say my little bit anyway :oops: :D

I walked the CF in September/October 2014 and, following the lovely advice given here, I walked with just a silk liner. I don't like to be too warm at night so I felt this would work for me. I have to say that I was cold... even from Roncesvalles I was thinking maybe I'd made a mistake? I woke most nights around 3/4:00am because I was cold and I didn't sleep great as a result. I only found blankets in a couple of places so this didn't help me. To make matters worse I kept hitting major towns on weekends or holidays and it was Astorga before I could buy a sleeping bag... and oooh it was so cosy!

I walked again in April 2015 and took the same sleeping bag. Whilst the weather was cooler during the day, this time I found that the bedrooms were warm. No windows open and the heating was on a lot of the time... so I felt less need for the bag and wished I had taken my liner.

This year I've bought a light weight quilt and I'm taking my silk liner... fingers crossed this will cover all bases.

Personally (and I appreciate I seem to be in a minority here :rolleyes: ) I wouldn't walk with just a liner again.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks again all. It seems like for every possible answer on all topics , there is an equally compelling opposite answer
And I have noticed that a lot of my questions are fear based . What about this or that. As if I could have control of my experience by being "fully" prepared ( ha ha). This is old behavior of thinking of every possibility and preparing for every eventuality to feel in control . I look forward to launching my self onto the Camino and merely being. Letting it flow through me so I truly live and not react
Thanks for all the wisdom
Nanc

I took a silk liner and a lightweight down quilt. That was plenty and didn't take up much space in my backpack. I'll do that again. Most nights I didn't need the quilt - actually I don't think I ever needed it, but some nights I used it just because I had it. I walked in late Spring, so different time of year, but you are sleeping indoors - it won't be that cold.

It seems like for every possible answer on all topics , there is an equally compelling opposite answer
No truer words were ever spoken about these forums!

At the end of the day, even with all the preparation and planning, you simply adapt to the reality you find (or that finds you!).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all.
Many albegues runed by Hospitaleros Volunarios (HosVol) are removing blankets due two problems: Washing and bedbugs. To wash all the blankets of an albergue enough times throughout the year to ensure sanitary guarantees implies a huge economic and staff´s effort. Usually mats are lined by an easy cleaned material, and volunteers can clean and deinfected it each two /four days. Last october, at Grañon´s parish Albergue many pilgrims had a bad and cold nigth. No heating at two of the three bedrooms, no blankets, no sleeping bag, any rainy and cold days, wet clothes... brrrreeeeeehh!

I took a silk liner and a lightweight down quilt. That was plenty and didn't take up much space in my backpack. I'll do that again. Most nights I didn't need the quilt - actually I don't think I ever needed it, but some nights I used it just because I had it. I walked in late Spring, so different time of year, but you are sleeping indoors - it won't be that cold.
What quilt did you bring?

I'm quite surprised at some of the comments on this topic: I've never walked the Frances, but, personally, would always take a liner/bag with me - I've stayed in albergues which don't even have bunks, let alone blankets :rolleyes:.
What can one expect for 6 euros?!?!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

nanc
Most albergues supply blankets. Your ultralight bag will work.

Most read last week in this forum

The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...
Having had two sets of poles taken from me at the airport on my return flight (traveling cabin luggage only) I want to buy poles cheaply on arrival before O begin my Camino..either in Santiago or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.