• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OH NO! No more New Balance on the SL-2

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I learned with horror today that New Balance is no longer going to make their SL-2 trail runners. They're trying something new.
So I got online and found what I wanted on Zappos. The good news is I usually pay around $140 and I got two pair for $99 each, one for this year and one for next. By then, hopefully I can find something else that works as well for me.
Darn you, New Balance!IMG_2022.JPG

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I learned with horror today that New Balance is no longer going to make their SL-2 trail runners. They're trying something new.
So I got online and found what I wanted on Zappos. The good news is I usually pay around $140 and I got two pair for $99 each, one for this year and one for next. By then, hopefully I can find something else that works as well for me.
Darn you, New Balance!View attachment 154629
I used the NB Hierro V7 on the Via last year and I’m training for the Norte with them this year.

I used the NB Hierro V7 on the Via last year and I’m training for the Norte with them this year.
Yes, there are dozens of brands that people use.
I have hobbit feet - I need a deep wide toebox and a narrow heel.
I've used New Balance since 2006 - so this change makes me sad :(

Darn you, New Balance!View attachment 154629
Hmm. I’ve been a runner for over 50 years although now reduced to walking after a series of bad trips and head plants. Reading the posts here it seems there are more shoe brands now than there are names in the London telephone directory. Over the years my family and I have tried nearly all the major brands. I hesitate to outline what we’ve found but here goes. First, any shoe which has the sole glued to the upper will have the two part company sooner or later.It’s because a decade or two back some body decided the glue was potentially carcinogenic - the replacement stuff wasn’t as good. When mine go I glue them back together with JB Weld’s black RTV sealant& adhesive which does a much better job although it takes several days to cure. But an assessment generally and from both ends of the spectrum. Basically the major brands are much of a muchness, including Aldi ( although their hiking/ bushwalking shoes and boots are junk). The very worst were New Balance. My first pair, the expensive top line model and Runner’s World magazine’s running shoe of the year, well, the soles collapses in a fortnight so it was like running on flat boards. Some time later I bought another top line model which was on sale. The soles parted company from the uppers but this time in a week! Never again! My son, who was in the military and doing serious exercise rates Nike very poorly and switched to Asics. His wife, who also pounds the pavements had generally OK experiences but also switched to Asics On her last buy ( around 20 months ago now) and is ecstatic. I’ve now also been using them for abwhile and they’ve performed much better than anything else I’ve tried in around 55 years of running. The seem
much better made and it takes a lot longer for the soles to part company from the uppers. Incidentally, the first pair of runners I used in the mid-1960’s were Adidas Rome which were wonderful, but they then dumbed them down to something only suitable for the Sunday Morning cafe latte set. In the 1980’s they brought out a lighteeight marathon runner ant it was excellent too. The next best, but in the much of a muchness category, was a set of Aldi runners I bought on their throwout tray for less than 5 bucks. The soles parted company about the same time as the others in this category.

De colores

Bogong

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My Vasque trail runners were THE BEST and of course, the particular model I wore is now out of production. Wore them on the Transcatalina trail and walked comfortably from Le Puy to Santiago.

Last edited:
I ordered a pair of these a few days ago. I used ASICS for my first go-a rounds on the Camino, but, again, they changed designs and their replacement is junk. With size 16, the choice is small out there. Hopefully the NB will fill the bill!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have a look at Allbirds shoes. The SWT has great tread n comfy as with unusual stretch tops that support n keep stones out. Love all their range.

Yes, there are dozens of brands that people use.
I have hobbit feet - I need a deep wide toebox and a narrow heel.
I've used New Balance since 2006 - so this change makes me sad :(
Wow, how do you remember that you've used a certain brand for 18 years? I can't even remember what I had for breakfast yesterday

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.