• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nordic poles

• Thread starter Deleted member 59555
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 59555

I have seen on utube people demonstrating the nordic walk/poles.
Do people think they are suitable for the Camino or would you get through to many rubber stops on the rough ground.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nordic poles could be used, but it you are unlikely to be able to use a Nordic walking style for very long unless you are extremely fit!

Irrespective of what style of pole you choose, I think you will find that it is sealed surfaces that result in the most wear on rubber pole tips, not the various earth surfaces that you might encounter. I also remove the rubber pole tips when I am not walking on a sealed surface to get the extra traction from the metal tip of the pole.

If you are giving the poles are reasonable push, you will wear through the rubber tip, particularly the one's that are supplied with the pole. On the other hand, I see many people who fairy tap along, hardly putting any downward pressure on the pole. I expect that they will get a much longer life from their tips as a result.

One option is to find a 'walking foot', which has a far larger contact area and rubber depth than the conical style tips. Depending on where you are, there may not be much choice of manufacturer. I know Leki, Komperdel and Swix all make this style of tip, but here in Australia only the Leki tips are available in bricks and mortar stores.

Another option is the knobbly rubber tip from Pacemaker Stix. Some members of the forum seem to have had good results from using this tip. I tried them, but I am currently using either the Swix walking foot or a Black Diamond conical rubber tip, depending on where I am walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We used Pacerpoles on our VDLP Camino this past September... and we loved them...me espbecause they helped with my bad knees... I know this may sound weird but I often integrated the motion & sound of moving each pole in with a walking meditation! I loved the ergonomic handle and the fact that you don't use s wrist strap... I would suggest trying out a couple different poles... maybe borrow Nordic poles , I know other Pilgrims loved their Nordic style poles... you can send back Pacerpole s in the first month for a refund I think... also I used the tips all the time and they never wore out in 2 weeks on the Camino and several hours of preparation... they don't really even looked worn! My husband often tied his poles onto his pack on flat sections. Buen. Camino! Pam

The rubber tips of my new Pacerpoles lasted around 900kms out of my 1,000 km pilgrimage (7.5 weeks out of 8 weeks). I used them constantly & was not light in my usage.
S :)

The rubber tips of my new Pacerpoles lasted around 900kms out of my 1,000 km pilgrimage (7.5 weeks out of 8 weeks). I used them constantly & was not light in my usage.
Yes, we carried an extra set of tips just in case , my husband walked much longer that I did and he did not use his tips much... I preferred walking with tips... I'm glad we had extras because once my tip got caught and fell in s grate!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We used Nordic poles because we already had them and used them at home. We bought replacement paws in that excellent hiking shop in Sarria.

...once my tip got caught and fell in s grate!
Ha ha, I spent ages one time 'fishing' in a road grate for a tip that had fallen off - thankfully I was successful
Suzanne :)

Do people think they are suitable for the Camino or would you get through to many rubber stops on the rough ground.
I've used all sorts of poles including Nordic and trekking poles. My own experience (two Caminos Frances and one Ingles) is that the best are Pacerpoles, only available online. They are designed by a Physio and improved my walking exponentially. Also, their rubber stops are so good that they last 1000km. Not cheap at about 100 UK pounds, but that includes air mail anywhere. So many people I met walking the Camino loved mine and ordered them online to be delivered to the next village or so.
Sally

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used my Leki traveller Nordic poles on my CF Sept 2014. I took replacement paws more in case of loss than wear, I use the paws most of the time, I prefer it that way. I changed paws around Sarria, but kept the old ones, just in case.

I had been regularly using the poles for several years before I walked, they had helped in my rehabilitation following a nasty left ankle fracture and simultaneous right fifth metatarsal fracture. They gave me a lot of confidence and I was very comfortable using them. Often I used them more as trekking poles, but I couldn't have done it without them.

Any pole can be use in a Nordic fashion, just means you are using them pointing slightly backwards and using your arms energetically. And yes it is energy consuming, this is mainly part of the process: To give yourself momentum to an added speedy gait .
When you get used to it, you will experience a flying style and heightened breathing. The thrusting of the arms backwards will straighten your back and lift your head. I use it whenever I feel to loosen a cramped gait, or when a soreness is arriving. 10 to 20 minutes will sort that out, but you need a good plane surface and a good grip obviously....tips off is preferred, I feel..
This intermediary change of walking pattern has for me saved many a day on the Camino and during training.
It does your breathing a lot of good, too- and clears your head in the process.

we used Nordic poles on the Camino Ingles in 2016 and have been using them for a while. the orange coloured feet are hardy and long lasting, if the poles are used correctly they will help maintain correct posture so easing the walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
my brand of poles have specialized tips that accomodate Nordic Trekking with tips elongated when poles are slanting well back behind you:

https://www.leki.com/uk/product-area/nordic-walking/accessories/1818/gummipuffer-rubber-tip-walking/

- here they will help you on any tarmac surface - supposedly, but I have not tried them on as it works well changing from tips off - on gravel,rock and sand, and tips on in the cities to dampen the infernal clicking some people refer to....
I do it on the fly, and change tips on/off without stopping, putting tips in the back pocket...

Attachments

• tips.jpg
    tips.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
my brand of poles have specialized tips that accomodate Nordic Trekking with tips elongated when poles are slanting well back behind you:

https://www.leki.com/uk/product-area/nordic-walking/accessories/1818/gummipuffer-rubber-tip-walking/

- here they will help you on any tarmac surface - supposedly, but I have not tried them on as my changing from tips off - on gravel,rock and sand, and tips on in the cities to dampen the infernal clicking some people refer to....
I do it on the fly, and change tips on/off without stopping, tips in the back pocket...
Walking tips like this are also made by Komperdel and Swix, and maybe others. The ones that I know of all fit the standard 11 mm diameter tip that most trekking poles use. They won't fit the narrower tips Black Diamond are using on the FLZ poles.

Mine lasted much less than this on the Levante this year. I was heavy in my usage. My knees were thankful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.