• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Normandy questions (VERY un-camino questions)

peregrina2000

Staff member
I know that the mods might question whether this post should even go up (and I will of course defer to the majority and abstain from voting ;)), since it has nothing to do with the Camino. I was going to write @mspath and @LesBrass directly and privately but then I thought there may be other forum members with info that could help.

My dad participated in the D-Day invasion and attended the 65th anniversary ceremonies. He is now 94, in good health, and hoping to get back for the 75th. We are starting to navigate the bureacratic paths for invitations, etc., and one of the officials has suggested we should get started with accommodation. Last time, though we started about a year ahead, we wound up with accommodation in St. Lo, a ways away from the beaches. That was fine, because as it turned out that's where my dad spent several weeks in tents after the invasion, but now that he's 10 years older, we are thinking that his traveling time should be limited.

SO.... I wonder if any of you in France have information on any good leads for places to stay that would be closer to the beaches. I have started with some internet searching, and the number of places is overwhelming. Having personal recommendations is always preferable, especially since my knowledge of this area is quite limited. Thanks in advance, buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I camped near Houlgate once, pretty much in the dunes at the beach, which was great but not advisable for a 94 year old. I do like the city of Caen however, which is closer to the beaches than Saint-Lô. Might be a good basecamp for multiple trips to the five beaches where the Allied forces landed. Bayeux might even be better, but I've never been there so can't comment on that.

Laurie,

I could easily help with WW1 Memorial Day service in May 2018 since some of that battle occured on our hill overlooking the Marne. Hence our b &b is fully booked for those dates

However I am less familiar with WW2 75th commemoration plans for autumn 2019. This tour or this one might offer some useful suggestions/tips for your father.

Once you know where he would wish to be I would be happy to try to help further.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bayeux is likely the most convenient and accessible location for the beaches.

I only stayed there once, in the Best Western Hotel, which no longer seems to be there, at least under that name.

Hotel de Brunville is well recommended. Have a look on tripadvisor as a first action, then if you know your dates booking.com is good for letting you know what's available. However, bear in mind that each hotel/inn/B&B only allocate a certain number of rooms to booking.com (and other websites such as expedia and trivago). It's always worth contacting the hotel directly, and you might even get a better rate.

Airbnb could also be worth considering if you are up for self catering.

Some friends of mine stayed at this B&B when touring the Normandy beaches. It is 150 yards from the sands of Gold Beach . . . Good memories of their visit I’m told.

http://normandybeach.co.uk/

Hope this helps . . .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
PS I know you've posted on Fodors in the past - have you asked this question there? The forum has changed a lot over the years, but there's still some very valid, useful and helpful advice to be had.

@peregrina2000 I'm so glad that others have been able to offer advice as sadly I know nothing of the area.

We use booking.com when looking for accommodation in France... we have used airbnb but found it could be sometimes expensive... I also use trip advisor.

I did also wonder if a french forum might offer some help? I don't use this but my husband says it's quite active https://www.frenchentree.com/france-forum/ there is also this one https://www.angloinfo.com/normandy/discussions.

Sorry I cant be anymore help :oops:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I camped near Houlgate once, pretty much in the dunes at the beach, which was great but not advisable for a 94 year old. I do like the city of Caen however, which is closer to the beaches than Saint-Lô. Might be a good basecamp for multiple trips to the five beaches where the Allied forces landed. Bayeux might even be better, but I've never been there so can't comment on that.
I have stayed in Bayeux at a small hotel, although don't remember the name, but I'm sure it was booked through booking.com. It is a very nice town with an interesting cathedral. If you have time, and have never been, Mt. St. Michele is really cool to visit, just to the west of Bayeux. That is amazing that your dad is still enjoying good health at 94!

We've eaten at the Hotel Normandie in Ouistreham / Caen before catching the overnight ferry to the UK. The hotel looks reasonable but we've never stayed overnight.
Brittany Ferries website offers a selection of hotels in the area.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you would prefer a quiet spot, Gites de France has over 2000 rental houses in Normandy, many close to the beaches, and many in or just outside small villages. If you zoom in on Bayeux on the map, you will see a multitude of little green dots - these are the houses for rent. (The blue dots are B&B's.) You can rent an entire house for a week for less than the cost of one hotel room - like this one between Bayeux and the beaches that sleeps 5 and rents for 250 euros for the week. We stayed in one near Creully years ago and loved it, but I don't see it listed anymore. Happy searching!
Elaine

I have been to Normandy over a dozen times to study the D-Day Beaches. I always stay in Bayeux because it's centally located between the American Beaches to the west (Utah and Omaha) and the British/Canadian Beaches to the east (Gold, Sword, and Juneau). I have used three hotels in Bayeux. All three are right next to each other in the heart of the old town with parking within a 100 meters.

The cheapest is the Hotel Rhine Mathilde. However, it has tight spaces and may not be suitable for your father at his age.

The next recommendation is the Hotel Churchill. It's lobby is covered with rare D-Day photographs (the original owners searched for photos that had never been included in any books). While it's public areas are more spacious, it still is a very old building with some mobility issues.

The last recommendation is the Villa Laura Hotel. It's the most expensive but it's brand new. It's rooms are the size of hotel rooms that we are used to in the United States. The owners are really special people who were born to run a hotel. It's public areas are spacious, the hallways are wide, the elevators are large by European standards and there are no impediments for a someone with mobility problems. In fact, I bet it would comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act (something that is rare in rural Europe).

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know that the mods might question whether this post should even go up (and I will of course defer to the majority and abstain from voting ;)), since it has nothing to do with the Camino. I was going to write @mspath and @LesBrass directly and privately but then I thought there may be other forum members with info that could help.

My dad participated in the D-Day invasion and attended the 65th anniversary ceremonies. He is now 94, in good health, and hoping to get back for the 75th. We are starting to navigate the bureacratic paths for invitations, etc., and one of the officials has suggested we should get started with accommodation. Last time, though we started about a year ahead, we wound up with accommodation in St. Lo, a ways away from the beaches. That was fine, because as it turned out that's where my dad spent several weeks in tents after the invasion, but now that he's 10 years older, we are thinking that his traveling time should be limited.

SO.... I wonder if any of you in France have information on any good leads for places to stay that would be closer to the beaches. I have started with some internet searching, and the number of places is overwhelming. Having personal recommendations is always preferable, especially since my knowledge of this area is quite limited. Thanks in advance, buen camino, Laurie
I am looking forward to going. I will be traveling their to perform with the University of Texas Longhorn Alumni Band at the ceremony.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It sounds like a wonderful trip! We spent a week on the D-Day beaches several years ago and stayed at Arromanches the entire time. It's right on Gold beach and we found that it made a good central headquarters for exploring the other beaches. We stayed at the Hotel de la Marine which we enjoyed. The rooms were small however, but it looks like it has been renovated since then. I'm sure there are other places in Arromanches as well. I am in awe of all those who participated in the D-Day landings. Please give your dad our grateful thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks, Margaret,
As far as I have been able to discover, all of the hotels in the area are already fully booked. That was our first choice just because who knows if my dad will be in a wheelchair by then. He can´t do stairs anymore when walking, but walks ok on flat surfaces with a cane. Now my search is turning to small places, but that is a bit more complicated. I have found one place with what seems to be an accessible room, but it is very far from the beaches.

I am also going to follow up on @islandwalker´s suggestion to look into booking an entire house. That could be a very good option, so long as we can find the right place! Thanks, everyone.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.