• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Schwab account questions

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
This is for those of you who use a Schwab debit account on the Camino. Here at home in the US, I can use my debit card from a non-Schwab bank as I would a credit card for purchases like groceries, gas, dining out, etc. and not just for accessing cash at an ATM. If I use it for Hotels, they put a significant deposit hold on my debit card which is reversed later, but still counts against my balance until the reversal several days later.

In Spain did you use your Schwab card for things like meals or did you use a regular credit card for that? I am taking a group of 10 University students on the Camino and the University recommends I get a Schwab account for the cash advance I will request. That way I am not carrying around 1,000's of euros in cash and it isn't mixed up with my own money or account. Can I use the Schwab card in Spain like a credit card or only to withdraw cash from an ATM? Did you use it for lodging and if so was a deposit held against the account balance?

Edit: I know I will need cash for some of our lodging and incidentals, but don't want to carry too much at one time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Schwab debt card is a Visa branded card and can be used for purchases just like your other bank debit card.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use it sometimes for our purchases, but prefer accruing points and the travel protections on my CC. My daughter uses it several times a day in the UK as a credit card and has had zero problems in the past 2 years.

Yes, I also like the points when I am traveling for myself or just with Phil and I do have plenty of credit on my personal cards. I am just considering how slow or how fast I might get reimbursed when I return. I pay off my balances every month so I don't have to pay interest. I'm not sure I want a credit card bill for 12 people's trip to the Camino hanging over my head while I am waiting for the university to pay me back...Anyway, that's why I am considering the Schwab thing as it was suggested by other Study Abroad experienced faculty. I want to be sure I could charge a meal with this card, etc. for 12 people in Spain. I think we will be able to buy train/bus tickets in advance using the university's cards before we leave home.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used my Schwab all along the Camino for purchases and paying for lodging as well as ATM withdrawals. There was never a hold put on the card. Not to say it couldn’t happen I suppose, as I think it would be merchant-specific, but it never happened to me.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This is for those of you who use a Schwab debit account on the Camino. Here at home in the US, I can use my debit card from a non-Schwab bank as I would a credit card for purchases like groceries, gas, dining out, etc. and not just for accessing cash at an ATM. If I use it for Hotels, they put a significant deposit hold on my debit card which is reversed later, but still counts against my balance until the reversal several days later.

In Spain did you use your Schwab card for things like meals or did you use a regular credit card for that? I am taking a group of 10 University students on the Camino and the University recommends I get a Schwab account for the cash advance I will request. That way I am not carrying around 1,000's of euros in cash and it isn't mixed up with my own money or account. Can I use the Schwab card in Spain like a credit card or only to withdraw cash from an ATM? Did you use it for lodging and if so was a deposit held against the account balance?

Edit: I know I will need cash for some of our lodging and incidentals, but don't want to carry too much at one time.
I use my Schwab card in Spain in both debit and credit functions and ATM withdrawals check the daily withdrawal limit with Schwab first). I never had an issue in the multiple times that I have used it throughout the years. In addition, Schwab waived ATM and currency exchange fees.

Do you remember if at lodging they put a deposit hold on your card for a few days?
no, i never had a deposit hold but i didnt use it to book ahead very much. the few times i booked a big hotel like in leon, they just took the info but when i arrived i could use any payment method. as i recall, the hotel in SDC was the same.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do you remember if at lodging they put a deposit hold on your card for a few days?
I think this really depends on the accommodation policy and not the card you use. When I've stayed at hotels in the UK this has been quite common but I don't think I've ever had it in Spain. Of course, it may depend on the class of accommodation you use and whether you pay your bill in advance.

My understanding in some places is that the hold on the account is to cover any potential bill for food and drink you might run up and add to your account, so that it is easy for the hotel to take the money should you leave without paying.

I’ve never had a ‘hold’ on a card on Camino or anywhere in Europe. I imagine you would book ahead any major hotel accommodation and you would need to give card details at time of booking. This is all they need if your accidentally skip your bill - which I did once in Latvia 😂😂😂. You will find the amount owed deducted from your card on your next bill.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I used my Schwab card for as much as I could in Spain. The ATMs don’t have logos on them, so I never knew which machines were fee-free.

I used my Schwab card exclusively for atm withdrawals throughout my Camino. It worked everywhere. We had prebooked hotels via Camino Ways so I am not sure about holds. Additionally, Schwab reimbursed all atm fees. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.