• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte september 2018

sicada123

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino francais Sept/Oct (2016)
Second Camino Niort Sept/Oct (2018)
VdlP Sept/Oct (2020)
Arriving Biarritz 10th September from Stansted landing 16:55. I am hoping to travel on to Irun directly after arriving. I have some information on buses and trains.

Train option looks to be 18:58 from Biarritz to Hendaye (arrive Hendaye 20:18)

I have read that Transdev ATCRB buses run every hour from airport to Hendaye (21:53 last bus)

Euskadi express 816 ..............does this bus run from airport direct to Irun ? (18:30 appears to be a good time slot from Parme. Ave antoine de saint expury.

If anyone has traveled this route and con confirm the reliability of services, it would be appreciated. For me, it will have been a long day travelling but I would like to get to Irun to start early Tuesday 11th September. Alternatively, I will overnight in Biarritz and make my way to Irun on the Tuesday morning.

Thank yo in anticipation of your help

Sicada123

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Arriving Biarritz 10th September from Stansted landing 16:55. I am hoping to travel on to Irun directly after arriving. I have some information on buses and trains.

I have read that Transdev ATCRB buses run every hour from airport to Hendaye (21:53 last bus)

Euskadi express 816 ..............does this bus run from airport direct to Irun ? (18:30 appears to be a good time slot from Parme. Ave antoine de saint expury.

If anyone has traveled this route and con confirm the reliability of services, it would be appreciated. For me, it will have been a long day travelling but I would like to get to Irun to start early Tuesday 11th September. Alternatively, I will overnight in Biarritz and make my way to Irun on the Tuesday morning.

Thank yo in anticipation of your help

Sicada123
This is sooooo much good information! Thank you for posting! Me.....2019

I have taken the 816 in the past, without paying attention to schedules-- it is a municipal bus. When it ends its run in Hendaye, walk west for 4-5 minutes, turn left, cross the bridge, and you are in Irun.

The train station is perhaps 8-10 minutes from the bridge into Irun. French trains tend to be very punctual.

If you are going somewhere particular in Irun, it is not a big town and is walkable. There are also lots of taxis.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have always caught the train from Hendaye to Irun. After changing from the French train.

I have taken the 816 in the past, without paying attention to schedules-- it is a municipal bus. When it ends its run in Hendaye, walk west for 4-5 minutes, turn left, cross the bridge, and you are in Irun.

The train station is perhaps 8-10 minutes from the bridge into Irun. French trains tend to be very punctual.

If you are going somewhere particular in Irun, it is not a big town and is walkable. There are also lots of taxis.
Thank you so much

Good enough for me. Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took the train from Lourdes to Hendaye then walked to Irún ....it was pretty easy...

Hmmm. Sicada, the length of that train journey didn't look right ot me so I went on the SNCF site. It says that for the 10th September there are lots of trains from Biarritz, including at 17.04, 18.18 and 18.58 and each of these takes about 32 minutes into Hendaye.
To get to Biarritz station from the aeroport you use the Chronoplus Ligne C bus. The published timetable at the moment only goes up to 2 September and shows around 4 buses an hour from the time you are arriving. The Spring timetable has about 3 an hour, so I'd expect at least that many on 10 September, but you should check for an updated timetable closer to your departure time.
If you can't find the Ligne C bus stop ask at the toursit desk which is by the main exits of Biarritz aeroport. Usually very helpful there and used to wandering pilgrims.
When you get to Hendaye, if you want to stretch your legs, walk over the old bridge (no longer used for vehicles) where you should see your first faded yellow arrow. From the Spanish side of the bridge it's around a 25 minutes walk to the Irun albergue - up to the main street and right. Alternatively, as you come out of the Hendaye station you should see the metro on the other side of the road, that runs over to Irun (and right on to San Sebastian too!). Irun Colon is the stop closest to the Irun albergue fro where it's less than a 10 minute walk.
I've done this journey quite a few times, but not in the last three years.
Cheers, tom

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hmmm. Sicada, the length of that train journey didn't look right ot me so I went on the SNCF site. It says that for the 10th September there are lots of trains from Biarritz, including at 17.04, 18.18 and 18.58 and each of these takes about 32 minutes into Hendaye.
To get to Biarritz station from the aeroport you use the Chronoplus Ligne C bus. The published timetable at the moment only goes up to 2 September and shows around 4 buses an hour from the time you are arriving. The Spring timetable has about 3 an hour, so I'd expect at least that many on 10 September, but you should check for an updated timetable closer to your departure time.
If you can't find the Ligne C bus stop ask at the toursit desk which is by the main exits of Biarritz aeroport. Usually very helpful there and used to wandering pilgrims.
When you get to Hendaye, if you want to stretch your legs, walk over the old bridge (no longer used for vehicles) where you should see your first faded yellow arrow. From the Spanish side of the bridge it's around a 25 minutes walk to the Irun albergue - up to the main street and right. Alternatively, as you come out of the Hendaye station you should see the metro on the other side of the road, that runs over to Irun (and right on to San Sebastian too!). Irun Colon is the stop closest to the Irun albergue fro where it's less than a 10 minute walk.
Cheers, tom

Thank's Tom for taking the time and trouble to offer a comprehensive summary based on your "actual" experience. Perfect, just the sort of confirmation I was looking for. Cheers,

Cheers, tom
Hi Tom,there is a new ,much larger albergue
municipal in Irun.It is listed on the Gronze web site and there is a map which shows where it is now situated.There was a posting about this some weeks ago.I don't know if you are aware of this?It only opened recently and I assume it replaces the smaller municipal albergue.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...
Hi all, and thank you in an advance for your time and consideration :) I'm very much in my "Camino dreaming" phase, but next year I'll be looking to pre-book some of my accomodation for my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.