• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

norte vs portuguese

Jerry B

Time of past OR future Camino
August 18 2015 frances,august 2016 camino madrid, august 2017 camino frances bike
I am wondering what camino would be better for the 3rd week in may 2018 norte or portuguese ? has anyone done both recently as a way to compare ?

txs

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It’s so much up to the weather, you never know. Both are beautiful, Portuguese is easier, but much more crowded

If You want to reach in Sdc Then Portuguese.
I Did both But I cannot Compare These 2. It's completely different trail.

If You Don't Have to go to Sdc my suggestion is del norte.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Did both last May. Much hotter in Portugal, though that may have been random. Far more pilgrims on Portugeuse, far more rural, and (imho) far more beautiful on Primitivo, but far more difficult, too

Did both last May. Much hotter in Portugal, though that may have been random. Far more pilgrims on Portugeuse, far more rural, and (imho) far more beautiful on Primitivo, but far more difficult, too
Hi Andy
I cycled the Portugeuse and Via De La Plata last year as I love cycling and I have some problems with my feet. I have decided to walk the Norte in May. Is it possible to walk it in trainers? I read that it rains a lot and I saw photo's of a lot of mud. My trainers are obviously not water proof but it is the only shoes I can use. How is the terrain? I am not worried about uphill, but about tecnical downhill without hiking boots. Do you mind to give me advise? For a fear of too many crowds, I have never wanted to do the Frances, therefore the Norte appeals to me.

I am on the Portuguese at the moment. My favourite Camino is the Norte. It is just beautiful. To ELL I have walked the Norte twice once when wet and muddy and once very dry wore Sandals most of the time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am wondering what camino would be better for the 3rd week in may 2018 norte or portuguese ? has anyone done both recently as a way to compare ?

txs
reaching santiago is not a must but I have time so I and mountains and cooler weather sounds fun and refreshing , txs

Hi Andy
I cycled the Portugeuse and Via De La Plata last year as I love cycling and I have some problems with my feet. I have decided to walk the Norte in May. Is it possible to walk it in trainers? I read that it rains a lot and I saw photo's of a lot of mud. My trainers are obviously not water proof but it is the only shoes I can use. How is the terrain? I am not worried about uphill, but about tecnical downhill without hiking boots. Do you mind to give me advise? For a fear of too many crowds, I have never wanted to do the Frances, therefore the Norte appeals to me.
My mistake. I responded to this post with the Primitivo in mind, instead of the Norte. (The Primitivo branchs off the Norte near Oviedo). I have never done the Norte myself, but am also intending to do it this May - June. So I'll be getting my first-hand information at the same time you do. From what I can gather from the guidebooks, there is a fair amount of ups and downs, especially in the first section from Irun to Bilbao. I don't think there's much in the way of "technical" downhills -- i.e. scrambling over rocks -- and there's a lot of road walking, so if you don't mind rain, your trainers should be fine. But you'll get more and better advice if you simply post your concerns in a new thread.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.