• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Not a walker/hiker

Masponagle

Hi Everyone, I am a 61 year old woman who is not a walker/hiker but I am very, very interested in doing camino france pilgrimage within the next two to three weeks. Am I being really crazy thinking this will be possible? I am basically in good health and I have done some long distance cycling in the past few years. Your thoughts please. Thanks, Elaine Desponagle@eastlink.ca

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
First of all , you gotta be crazy if not you aren´t allowed to start. It´s mandatory.;)
Second, I wish you all the best.:)
Do keep us up to date on how you are getting along.

Buen Camino!

Welcome to the club! Get a well-fitted pack and good shoes, pack light, start slow and see you there. I should rejoin the Camino frances around the 16 or 17 of September in Puente la Reina

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Elaine,

Go for it!:) Maybe I will see you there!
Buen Camino
Aidan:)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Elaine,

I completely understand your concern. I'm not a walker/hiker either, except that I live in the city and walk to work, etc. Aside from that, I am pretty much a slug, and, in spite of that, I just completed my third camino in August -- walking 320 miles.
Take it slow. Listen to your body and ignore the urge to keep up with the others. A slow camino is a beautiful thing.

Best of Luck and Buen Camino!

Hi Elaine from the most wonderful El Alberque de Zariquiegui about 10 kms out of Pamplona. This is my 4th day from St Jean PdP & its FANTASTIC! I was concerned about my plantar faciitus injury in my heel & general unfitness but it is amazing as to how ones body adapts.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To tell you the truth many of us are sixty or more years old!
Many retired people with a desire to do things that we haven't be able to do before.
My age sixty and if nothing go wrong with my health I'll do a few Caminos before i get to old.
Buen Camino.

What's the rush? Why do you have to begin in 2 or 3 weeks. Jumping into this with no training may be doable but you could also ended up with injuries or at a minimum lots of blisters. Why not do a reasonable amount of training and then give it a go? You're bound to enjoy it more. I did it in May and I'm 63. I'm also a marathon runner but I still trained for it because I know how important training is. Again, I'd ask myself what's the rush?

Elaine,
My guess is you won't know until you try and you might not be happy within if you don't at least try?
Why not give it a go and give up if necessary knowing what you need to do to get ready for the next time.
You're 61 years young and sound like you have the will, and you know what they say; "Where there's a will there's a way". Or perhaps in your case, there's a Way for your will.;)
Best wishes Elaine, I was once where you are now, the only difference might be I have more time to prepare than you. Maybe next year might be a choice for you, after all The Camino is there for ever for everyone and will wait for you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Elaine,

You 61 and cycle; I'm 80+ and just walk and am starting next week! You just go a little slower!

I leave in two weeks and I am already feeling the pull, I will just follow the path and meet, smile and greet all I cross on the road.
Go for it girl and 61 or 21 its the age of your heart.

Trevor

I second the advice for light pack, good footwear and going slow. I'll just add to that - go short. You don't have to walk 20+km each day. And you can even take a bus or taxi if you need to.
Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Elaine, I'm 68, do bursts of some rough trails, but on the Camino Frances, I will walk some, bus some. You don't have to punish yourself and you are not in competition with anyone. Take breaks often, preferable with someone who does the same (don't even think about walking all alone).

I'm just doing a short section and winging it from there. Because of spinal injury I stop every 1/2 hour and every 2nd hour take a good long 30 minute or so break. I can cover 10-12 miles a lot easier that way.

...(don't even think about walking all alone). [/I]

[/I]
Why not? I saw plenty of 60+ walking alone. Heck, in May 2011 I saw more of them than 30-year olds.

I am 70 and I walked 500 miles on the Camino Frances in April/May of this year and loved every minute of it. I did training before to improve fitness and test equipment which helped a lot and I had no blisters or other problems.
Next year I plan to walk the Via de la Plata at age 71.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What's the rush? Why do you have to begin in 2 or 3 weeks. Jumping into this with no training may be doable but you could also ended up with injuries or at a minimum lots of blisters. Why not do a reasonable amount of training and then give it a go? You're bound to enjoy it more. I did it in May and I'm 63. I'm also a marathon runner but I still trained for it because I know how important training is. Again, I'd ask myself what's the rush?

Busy reading the 'what the psychic told the pilgrim" and yes, you CAN do it!!!! Buen Camino and enjoy every second of it! I so want to be there again.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Elaine: I'm sure it can be done. Start slow. Listen to your body. Listen some more. Listen a third time and do what it tells you. While I think 6 to 12 months of training would be helpful, if you listen to your body and take your time you can do it.

Hi Everyone, I am a 61 year old woman who is not a walker/hiker but I am very, very interested in doing camino france pilgrimage within the next two to three weeks. Am I being really crazy thinking this will be possible? I am basically in good health and I have done some long distance cycling in the past few years. Your thoughts please. Thanks, Elaine Desponagle@eastlink.ca

Hi
I say pack light, go with and open heart, live in the moment and you will be just fine.

Hello elaine, welcome to the forum.

Go for it, you will never regret it. Just listen to your body and your feet. Pick the right boots and the right rucksack. Go slow and then pick up the pace. Remember the camino is not a marathon. This is your camino. You do not have to try to catch with the other peregrinos. You do not have to walk long distances. You can choose to try to do your camino with a few stages or longer. My recommendation to you is to walk for 2 weeks. After the first few days you will be accustomed to the camino.

I am in my 70s and have walked 2 long distance caminos (800 and 1000 kilometers) recently without much training, and will be walking more camino paths.

Good luck. God bless and que tengas un buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why not? I saw plenty of 60+ walking alone. Heck, in May 2011 I saw more of them than 30-year olds.
Many do walk it alone from what I see, but they all seem to say there were others within sight. "All alone" is when you are completely by yourself (no other pilgrim for miles) and women are more vulnerable than men. This happens around the world and the Camino de Santiago is no exception (though rarer occurrences of women being attacked). Just use common sense.

Elaine, I was in your shoes a short while ago. I finished the CF from SJPdP to Finisterre last May/June and walked the whole thing. I am 61. I walked solo. My only concern is if you are starting to think about walking now, make sure your boots are well worn in. You can't predict the conditiions in which you'll be walking (rain? sun?) but you can predict how you prepare. Make no mistake, the CF is more challenging than you can imagine but is very doable - people have been doing it for a thousand years. If you already have it in your head, then it's just a matter of time - you're going to walk it. This forum is a good place to get advice and my blog covers my prep and CF walking adventures (take a peek, you may get inspired!!). Good luck.

Elaine, I'm perfectly trained up to loaf along, stop often, overeat, take innumerable rest days, stay in hotels so I can leave around midday etc. Can't tell you all my training secrets and I'm not suggesting you will ever attain to my stupendous lack of discipline and focus, but you can always try. The important thing is to try.

Buen camino!

Rob

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did my first Camino in 2011 from SJPdP to Logrono at the age of 65 with absolutely no training. I came back the following year and walked the entire route to Santiago. This year at the age of 67 I walked from Porto to Santiago with a severe case of sciatica and only had to resort to taking a bus twice because of the pain. It's not a race, so one must pace themselves. Make sure you take care of your feet with a liberal application of Vaseline each morning and wear cotton liner socks and good merino wool socks inside your well worn shoes or boots and change the whole ensemble regularly throughout the day whenever they are sweaty. Be sure to stay hydrated and you should have no worries. If you are doing the CF there are services to transport your backpack forward to your next destination if the weight on your back starts to become an issue. Enjoy!

Elaine,

Welcome to the Forum. You will find much useful information in these topics for planning your walk. Ask lots of questions since most pilgrims enjoy offering advice and sharing their tips. Be sure to check out this thread compiled for us aged Over 60 >> frequently-asked-questions/topic12014.html.

Start by walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; easy does it. Be a snail; slow but, determined. Consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure.

Watch out, the Camino can be very addictive! I first walked the CF when 65 and now at 74 hope to return for my 9th complete camino later this autumn. Hope springs eternal.

Carpe Diem and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Everyone, I am a 61 year old woman who is not a walker/hiker but I am very, very interested in doing camino france pilgrimage within the next two to three weeks.

Have you bought your plane ticket?

Passport valid?

Backpack,shoes etc all bought and in good shape?

Those are the sort of things I'd worry about right now. With an eastlink email I'm guessing your in the maritimes. If you need to buy anything do you know the good local shops?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Elaine - another 'oldie' checking in here. I first walked the year I turned 60, ten years ago and have done a couple of shorter (200km) and a couple of longer ones since then and most recently this year. Are you on the sunshine coast? I also have an eastlink email. I'd be happy to get together and chat camino if you are.
Cecelia

consider cycling and walking. rent a bike for part of the trip and walk the other. you can bike across the maseta.

Hi Everyone, I am a 61 year old woman who is not a walker/hiker but I am very, very interested in doing camino france pilgrimage within the next two to three weeks. Am I being really crazy thinking this will be possible? I am basically in good health and I have done some long distance cycling in the past few years. Your thoughts please. ...

If you take enough time with you and start with shorter stages - why not? SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have you bought your plane ticket?

Passport valid?

Backpack,shoes etc all bought and in good shape?

Those are the sort of things I'd worry about right now. With an eastlink email I'm guessing your in the maritimes. If you need to buy anything do you know the good local shops?

Yes, I am in the maritime a and I would love to know the best shops, like in Halifax. I have made up my mind to go in April so I have more time to prepare.

Elaine,

Welcome to the Forum. You will find much useful information in these topics for planning your walk. Ask lots of questions since most pilgrims enjoy offering advice and sharing their tips. Be sure to check out this thread compiled for us aged Over 60 >> frequently-asked-questions/topic12014.html.

Start by walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; easy does it. Be a snail; slow but, determined. Consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure.

Watch out, the Camino can be very addictive! I first walked the CF when 65 and now at 74 hope to return for my 9th complete camino later this autumn. Hope springs eternal.

Carpe Diem and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Wow Margaret, you are very inspiring!

Yes, I am in the maritime a and I would love to know the best shops, like in Halifax. I have made up my mind to go in April so I have more time to prepare.

If you're going in the Spring then mail order might work.

www.mec.ca

I'd start with them. I don't remember if they have a physical shop down east but they tend to be pretty good overall.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.