• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Novice camper needs advice

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
I am planning a 19-day solo walk from Canterbury to Reims on the Via Francigena, starting in late April. In stead of carrying a backpack, I am looking at camping for some of the stages and using a towed cart (eg Carrix or Dickson brands) to carry the extra stuff needed for camping.

I am an experienced long-distance walker/trekker, but a total novice camper, so I would appreciate some input on the following.

Tent: I will be walking in spring and can expect some wet days/nights. I also prefer to take only a light one-person tent that is simple to erect. Is a fly necessary for modern tents, or is the fabric sufficiently waterproof to withstand a rainy night? What about durability of the floor, since I prefer to save weight by not taking a groundsheet. Presumably small pinholes can be fixed with adhesive tape.

Stove: Is there any preference for gas (propane/butane) versus spirit?

Of course, there is cooking/eating gear, lighting etc to consider, but I will choose the simplest and lightest stuff to carry. I am OK re sleeping gear.

Any other major things to think about?

Regards

Bob M

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back