• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Novice: I would like to walk for 25 days?

Sydneywalker

Hello, This is my first time on the forum, first time on the walk. I'm planning to go in October but due to work etc i've really only got about 25 days of walking. Do you think one could walk from Pamplona to Santiago in this time? If not, any suggestions on a good starting point. Thank you. C. :shock:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You would have to walk almost 30k/day if you started from Pamplona. If you want to start from there (or even from Roncesvalles), you may want to consider taking the bus or train along part of the route. For example, many people skip over the Meseta between Burgos & Leon or Astorga. If you did this, then you wouldn't have to walk so far each day & could take your time along the way to enjoy the walk. :)

Kelly

Hi Sydneywalker,
In 2002 I walked the camino from Roncesvalles to Santiago in 27 days averaging 28km per day. However, it doesn't quite work out like that - we sometimes walked 18kms one day and 40km the next!
I think give it a go. Start off slow, once you have settled in and are fitter, do a few longer distances - especially on the meseta which is fairly flat walking. Keep your shorter distance days for the mountains.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My suggestion would be much the same as that of WolverineDG. Start in St Jean Pieds-du-Ports - take your time to smell the roses and to taste the grapes - enjoy every bit of breathtaking adventure - don't push yourself except in the area of enjoyment - then at about Burgos, take the train and skip over (a part that you can do later) and resume again at Sarria and onward to Santiago. While in Santiago congratulate yourself and remember to tell history that you'll be be back. When you leave the camino, the camino never leaves you. God Bless.

Hi Sydneywalker, I assume you are from Sydney, Australia, and as such you will know what I am talking about when I say that the Meseta is very like the Hay plains, or other places further out in the Outback. In this immense space there is a majesty and a power about the countryside that we Australians seem able to relate to. The wide open spaces have their very own magic (and easy walking too - there were 5 days across the meseta that I covered 40kms or more, compared to an average of 25 - 30kms on the rest of the way) and I for one would not miss it. I have noticed that people who have grown up surrounded by mountains and rich, verdant valleys are daunted by the Meseta, whereas every Australian I met both times on the path seemed to have an affinity for the Meseta. Yes, it is big - immense - and seems to go on forever, but at least it is fertile. It is a place that I love, and one which has immense power - especially in a thunderstorm, it is awsome!. I hope this gives you food for thought. Janet

My advice is exactly the same as Sillydoll's. I also walked from Roncesvalles in 27 days--some long days and some short. There are many people who recommend skipping the meseta but personally I would not want to leave it out. I walked in March though and the weather was cool. I imagine if it was hot I would not have enjoyed it so much. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will be a great experience.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just have to add my two cents worth about the Meseta . I don't understand all of those people who mean mouth it and recommend skipping this very beautiful area of the country. I walked through the Meseta in late April and early May of this year and enjoyed every minute of it. I love the Camino every step from Sauvetere de Bearn in the French Basque to Santiago . I think anyone skipping the Meseta is missing a wonderful section of the Camino.

One of my Meseta photos:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/2638722749_5c8e377d0d_b.jpg

I loved the Meseta and was really surprised at the number of people bussing between Burgos and Leon in order to avoid it. But then I'm Australian too, and wouldn't have been surprised to see a kangaroo in those surroundings!

You could make it Santiago in 25 days, if you are extremely fit and used to walking such distances day after day. But while doable, you'll have no time to look around and appreciate the towns and cities you pass through, and no time for rest/sick days. If you really want to walk into Santiago and get your compostela, then consider starting from Burgos. And if time gets a bit short, take the bus for one or two stages, just make sure you do this before reaching Sarria so you can qualify for the compostela.

Trudy

Hello again. I would just like to say ĂŤ'm so glad I found this site. I'm still waiting for my guide books to arrive so I'm very grateful for the information people are passing onto me. Yes I'm from Sydney and the Meseta sounds right up my alley so I don't think i'll miss it now. I feel i'm spoilt for choices now, which is great because i'm beginning to realise my options. Ideally I would love to walk longer but due to life here time does not permit but I do know it will not be the last time I walk the Camino. Those who know the walk, do many people walk in October, not that I'm worried more curious? I'm a real last minute person so its great to get the advise. Thanks C.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sometimes it is a question of time remaining. When time is insufficient there are decisions to make. Does one get to Santiago or not. My choice was the best one possible for me since the entire experience turned out to be one of lif'es greatest highlights. On my first 'camino venture' I have absolutely no regrets in having done it 'my way'. Buen Camino a todos.

Hi Sydney and welcome to the Forum :)
I don't think you will be alone in October; there are significant numbers even in November, but maybe Sil will come up with some figures!
Regarding the Meseta - I'm another fan - wonderful vistas, big sky and while October will be different from the times when I crossed it I'm sure that it is an experience not to be missed at any time of the year.Whatever you decide, from wherever you start and wherever you walk,
Buen Camino

Brendan

There is a sharp drop in the number of people who get the Compostela in October and November but that is not to say that there are a not a few thousand more walking parts of the way.

These are stats for pilgrims who received the Compostela:

SEPTEMBER -15 189: OCTOBER - 9 434: NOVEMBER - 2 496

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back