• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Obsession??!!??

Jeff Johnston

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (2017)
Having pondered this pilgrimage for a couple of years and now planning to really do it (Spring 2017), I believe I have contracted a terrible and grave case of Camino de Santiago disorder.

The symptoms are many and chronic: continual reading of books, forums and guides having anything to do with hiking, walking, Spain, France, weather, equipment, food, blisters, sleeping, snoring, showering, laundry, trains, planes and automobiles, apps, gps, cell phones, hotels, cathedrals, credentials, bedbugs, albergue, training, first aid, cameras and clothing. Other, unending symptoms also. These bouts are daily and last for hours at a time. I find it difficult to perform normal household duties.

My wife of over 50 years does not at all understand this malady and thinks I am ready to be committed. I am only 71 (72 at time of pilgrimage), and feel far too good to be institutionalized.

On the other hand, do normal people spend three hours studying socks?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Having pondered this pilgrimage for a couple of years and now planning to really do it (Spring 2017), I believe I have contracted a terrible and grave case of Camino de Santiago disorder.

The symptoms are many and chronic: continual reading of books, forums and guides having anything to do with hiking, walking, Spain, France, weather, equipment, food, blisters, sleeping, snoring, showering, laundry, trains, planes and automobiles, apps, gps, cell phones, hotels, cathedrals, credentials, bedbugs, albergue, training, first aid, cameras and clothing. Other, unending symptoms also. These bouts are daily and last for hours at a time. I find it difficult to perform normal household duties.

My wife of over 50 years does not at all understand this malady and thinks I am ready to be committed. I am only 71 (72 at time of pilgrimage), and feel far too good to be institutionalized.

Yes! (that's assuming that I'm normal)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Age has nothing to do with it. I am 68 and shall be walking my second camino this fall. On the other hand, you are running short of time for managing the critical subject of "boots or shoes" and which of either. I recommend that you apply yourself as quickly as possible. Buen camino.

Not departing until April/May 2017.......

Age has nothing to do with it. I am 68 and shall be walking my second camino this fall. On the other hand, you are running short of time for managing the critical subject of "boots or shoes" and which of either. I recommend that you apply yourself as quickly as possible. Buen camino.

Not departing until April/May 2017.......

You don't just try on the boots and shoes, you buy and wear varying versions of each, on different terrain, with the pack that you have finally chosen for your camino. But if you think you have lots of time, I suggest that you look into the forum threads on trekking poles or walking sticks, different kinds of rain gear, the merits of merino wool, the best underwear and why (you may graduate to this topic from socks). I had a full year between when I chose to walk my first camino and when I left on it, and more than forty years of backpacking experience. I still managed to keep obsessively occupied until I left with all these vital topics and the many others you will find on the forum. Have fun!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Doesn't everyone get passionate about socks?! Have you discovered the ones with toes in them? Great and so funny! I have dreamed, read, planned, fantasised for nearly 30 years now and at last I am in a positio to do my first Camino, Portuguese, starting this August. And still I agonise over socks et al. It is part of the adventure!

I think the better question is why normal people don't spend three hours studying socks.

And an even better question is, how can your really get a good sense of socks in only three hours? At this point, you're only skimming the topic, and it barely registers as a disorder of the most minor kind. The real signs of dysfunction come around hour 20 on any given topic, followed by human subject testing on yourself and wife . . . After all, if she's going to think you're crazy, then go for the gold and give her 24 carat confidence in your madness.

Regardless, no reason to worry. Even if she gets you committed, there's a good chance your doctor will already be secretly planning his own pilgrimage, so be certain to share all your learnings from here with him!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Crazy? Me? Muhahahahaha! I've been researching socks and underwear since October. My whole family thinks I've lost my mind because I walk around muttering "kilometers, miles, por favor, buen camino". Lol. Finally leaving US May 29 th.

Hi Jeff, welcome to this wonderful forum family. About the socks study, yes some people do and what is normal.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Wait till your hidden OCD you never knew you had..kicks in..
Micro managing every infiinitesimal detail..in depth.
The moonshot never had this much human brainpower put in.

My example..
DSLR..or Point and shoot.
What lenses for said full size camera
How many SD Cards..SDHC..or SDXC
How many gigs
What speed
Carrying case for said DSLR SD cards.
What kind of carry device for the camera
Backpack
Satchel..rain proof, canvas, leather, nylon???

How many lenses
Which lenses
My EF lenses
My L lensing..(its a Canon thing)
Prime,telephoto...
Batterys..2? 3?
Recharger..recharger adapter for europe..

Point and shoot
How many megapixels
Does it shoot RAW.RAW,JPEG or jpeg only

Does it shoot video
720 or 1080p or 4k
What SD card is needed
Carry case or back pack side pocket

Tripod/monopod/guerilla pod/ipod...
Go pro?
Cables, connectors,hardware..
Ipad to upload pixs and process them
Charger for ipad
Adapter for charge brick...

Thats just my ocd..which just came up with a few more doo hickys to carry.
Or..

Dang
Now I wont sleep for the planning!

Just kidding
Planning is half the fun

Youll be just fine!
Buen Camino!

Oh my goodness, this is so me as well - my poor husband thinks I have developed Bipolar Disorder due to my incessant Camino education since last year ---- and unfortunately for him my walk is not planned until Sept/Oct 2017 :) I seem to be obsessed with reading every story I can get my hands on, exploring every route to be taken to Santiago and everything else that is Camino related. I even got hubby to buy me 1000 mile socks for mothers day :) I am so excited and have even started my training already.

Wait till your hidden OCD you never knew you had..kicks in..
Micro managing every infiinitesimal detail..in depth.
The moonshot never had this much human brainpower put in.

My example..
DSLR..or Point and shoot.
What lenses for said full size camera
How many SD Cards..SDHC..or SDXC
How many gigs
What speed
Carrying case for said DSLR SD cards.
What kind of carry device for the camera
Backpack
Satchel..rain proof, canvas, leather, nylon???

How many lenses
Which lenses
My EF lenses
My L lensing..(its a Canon thing)
Prime,telephoto...
Batterys..2? 3?
Recharger..recharger adapter for europe..

Point and shoot
How many megapixels
Does it shoot RAW.RAW,JPEG or jpeg only

Does it shoot video
720 or 1080p or 4k
What SD card is needed
Carry case or back pack side pocket

Tripod/monopod/guerilla pod/ipod...
Go pro?
Cables, connectors,hardware..
Ipad to upload pixs and process them
Charger for ipad
Adapter for charge brick...

Thats just my ocd..which just came up with a few more doo hickys to carry.
Or..

Dang
Now I wont sleep for the planning!

Just kidding
Planning is half the fun

Youll be just fine!
Buen Camino!
Me too!!!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jeff,
We started similarly reading every book and buying every movie, documentary, and every tv series that made mention of St James or the canimo. We had 18 months to plan and obsess. My husband has spent a fortune on socks and shoes and the "perfect" hiking shorts and/or pants. We are two weeks out now and I think the frenzy is abating. We are trying to prepare spiritually and making only small adjustments to the things we will carry. Mostly we are divesting ourselves of what we don't need that seemed a "must have" near the beginning of the planning. We have a large stash of "almost made it on the Camino" stuff which will end up in some future garage sale I am certain.
The planning is fun, but can be costly. Getting down to the business of being a pilgrim is what I look forward to next.
Janet

And have you all started obsessing over shampoo in soap bars too - I spent weeks researching some in Australia - found a great company that makes small soap about the size of a small tomato but does up to 80 washes called Lush Australia. :) only weighs 40g and smells like heaven. I have been trialing it for over a few weeks and my hair is loving it.

Jeff
Sounds about right!
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
And have you all started obsessing over shampoo in soap bars too - I spent weeks researching some in Australia - found a great company that makes small soap about the size of a small tomato but does up to 80 washes called Lush Australia. :) only weighs 40g and smells like heaven. I have been trialing it for over a few weeks and my hair is loving it.

Do you think this will work for clothes, body AND hair?

Doesn't everyone get passionate about socks?! Have you discovered the ones with toes in them? Great and so funny! I have dreamed, read, planned, fantasised for nearly 30 years now and at last I am in a positio to do my first Camino, Portuguese, starting this August. And still I agonise over socks et al. It is part of the adventure!
Hi Margaret, sorry to change the subject, but when in August are you doing the Portuguese, i fly out on August 31st and will start in Lisbon on September 3rd...

I am walking Hadrian's Wall Path prior to flying to Lisbon. I am due to start walking out of Lisbon on 28 August. I will take a break in Tomar 2 September then on to Porto as mentioned. I will then do the coastal route rejoining the main Camino at Arcade. My timing img is unfortunately fairly set due to commitments but I am sure you will catch up with me as you have more experience.

Do you think this will work for clothes, body AND hair?
Hey Angela, They have a great range and yes they can be used for body & hair :) I also intend to use it on my clothes to ensure I smell nice along the way :D - https://www.lush.com.au/ I also found on ebay some really cheap containers to carry them in which are not tin (as I thought they may rust ) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Soap-D...avel-Outdoor-Hiking-Camping-New-/251717004948 for $1.38 US. Here is the link on ebay for laundry soap sheets if you choose to go that way also http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-Pcs-E...ndry-Washing-Wash-Packet-Sheets-/321771329842 for $1 AUD

Thanks Margaret, safe walking and maybe our path will cross!
Buen Camino!

Haha! This hit home for me because I just bought some J. R. Liggett's Bar Shampoo for my husband and I to try out, and we don't leave for our Camino until June 2017. I am hoping my hair will love it.

This is just one of my obsessions for now...they are multiplying at a high rate of speed!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Haha! This hit home for me because I just bought some J. R. Liggett's Bar Shampoo for my husband and I to try out, and we don't leave for our Camino until June 2017. I am hoping my hair will love it.

This is just one of my obsessions for now...they are multiplying at a high rate of speed!
Hi Bsnyder105, If you have a change to check out Lush - you will love it I promise - I have bought my 6th bar of shampoo soap today as I found one that makes my hair smell amazing and I can smell it on my skin as well :) It is called Jason and the Argan Oil Shampoo Bar :) and they also have tiny tins of essential oil perfumes that are smaller than a lip balm that will just have to accompany me on my camino - after all a girl has to smell good :p

Hi Bsnyder105, If you have a change to check out Lush - you will love it I promise - I have bought my 6th bar of shampoo soap today as I found one that makes my hair smell amazing and I can smell it on my skin as well :) It is called Jason and the Argan Oil Shampoo Bar :) and they also have tiny tins of essential oil perfumes that are smaller than a lip balm that will just have to accompany me on my camino - after all a girl has to smell good :p
Tina- Marie Brownie,
I just might have to do that! Do you need conditioner at all with your bar shampoo? My hair tangles so bad! I'm hoping to find something I won't have to also use conditioner...one less thing to pack and worry about. :)

Don't fight it, just give in. All hope is lost. Just wait until you do walk the camino, it gets even worse then.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Tina- Marie Brownie,
I just might have to do that! Do you need conditioner at all with your bar shampoo? My hair tangles so bad! I'm hoping to find something I won't have to also use conditioner...one less thing to pack and worry about. :)
No you don't :) it is in the soap already :) in fact I had to change my soap over as I have oily hair and it made it oily, so my friend who is walking with our group tried it (she has very dry hair) and she loves it and her looks great :D

I wish I could tell you that it all will pass, but I can't. No sooner than when you get on the plane home that you start thing about your experiences on the Camino. This thought evolves into thinking about doing another Camino over time and everything starts over again. If this is an obsession which is madness, then it is madness I want to have.
Buen Camino

No you don't :) it is in the soap already :) in fact I had to change my soap over as I have oily hair and it made it oily, so my friend who is walking with our group tried it (she has very dry hair) and she loves it and her looks great :D

Okay...ordered a bar to try out. Thanks for the info! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I'm 65, have terminal Camino fever and also plan to walk my first (and probably only) Camino next spring. When the Camino calls, one must follow! If that makes me a crazy person, then I'm crazy as a loon.

I'm 65, have terminal Camino fever and also plan to walk my first (and probably only) Camino next spring. When the Camino calls, one must follow! If that makes me a crazy person, then I'm crazy as a loon.
Got to keep the Loonies on the path.Pink Floyd "brain damage"Dark side of the moon.

Actually, 'normal' is a lack of ambition

Buen camino
Miguel

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey Angela, They have a great range and yes they can be used for body & hair :) I also intend to use it on my clothes to ensure I smell nice along the way :D - https://www.lush.com.au/ I also found on ebay some really cheap containers to carry them in which are not tin (as I thought they may rust ) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Soap-D...avel-Outdoor-Hiking-Camping-New-/251717004948 for $1.38 US. Here is the link on ebay for laundry soap sheets if you choose to go that way also http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-Pcs-E...ndry-Washing-Wash-Packet-Sheets-/321771329842 for $1 AUD
Ordered my shampoo and it is absolutely marvelous! Came with a sample of their deodorant powder - great for dusting inside of boots. Was very happy that they are available in South Africa

Most read last week in this forum

Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am currently walking the Camino Frances with my parents and am enjoying every moment. I brought some euros with me and loaded money onto a cash passport as I thought this would be safe...
Hello, I have reserved a night in an Albergue and the confirmation says Fecha de entrada: 2024-06-05. In the UK we would write this as 05-06-2024, is that what this means, 5th June 2024, I am...
I can see where this will help in the eternal search for an open alberque. These "pilgrims" will by-pass many towns and communities during their "walk" leaving many alberques available for...
I'm always a little apprehensive about posting anything approaching humour on this Forum, for fear of upsetting someone. But here goes . . . I heard this a few years ago, and it made me smile...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.