• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sello (stamp) Obsession: Is there a medical term for this?

Time of past OR future Camino
Podiensis, Portugues, Primitivo, 6 others
On our first camino, we enjoyed getting stamps, but it was not an obsession. Then we met Taddeus, a larger than life Polish peregrino who wore a fur coat despite the heat and had a massive photo of John Paul II hanging in front of him in a heavy, wood frame. He was a fast walker, but we always caught up with him because he had to check everywhere for a sello. We chuckled, but on our second camino, we started to pay more attention to sellos and my wife accused me of "sello madness" for spending hours in the cathedral in Zaragosa chasing down what I had been told is one of the hardest sellos to score. I got it, although I had to listen to a 20 minute homily from the priest before he would stamp my Camino Ignaziano credencial.

While my case of "searching for sellos" does not reach obsession, I'm wondering if others suffer from this or know those who do. There must a medical term for this not-so-fatal attraction.

I must confess that as one who has walked a number of camino paths, I also can't resist getting a local credencial for each one. Some are truly beautiful, works of art.

And then there is compostella obsession. I refer to all certificates, not just THE compostella. My three favorites are the Salvadorana, obtained at the cathedral at the end of the Camino Salvador, the certificate in Manresa at the end of the long Camino Ignaciano and the certificate we received from the church of San Francesco in SdC during the 800th anniversary year commemorating the camino St. Francis performed.

I know I'm not alone. C'mon, confess. Are you obsessed, attracted, disinterested? If you are at least attracted, what are your favorites?

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Personally I couldn't care less. I walked from SJPDP to Santiago last year and only used one side of the credencial from the SJPDP office. I think I had about 35 sellos in total. 25 sellos on the credencial for my first Camino. I gave up asking for a Compostela several years ago so I don't worry about the "2 sellos per day" business and have never asked for any of the extra certificates along the way. I know that some people love them as souvenirs but it doesn't interest me. I found the Compostela from my first Camino a few months ago. I thought I had lost it years back. That one I do value.

Last edited:
I am with @Bradypus here, I get what I must (in order to be able to go into Albergues mainly) but otherwise I simply don't bother. If you walk for religious reasons, God knows you've walked; and whether you're religious or not you sure as heck do.

Let's face it if you're reading this post it's probably because you've already done a Camino - not something you're ever gonna forget is it! Could a sello bring back a nice memory? Of course, just as a photograph will. And speaking for me personally, a photograph is a heck of a lot more reliable than a memory!

And as to certificates? I'm extremely cynical there - personally, I'd rather walk past a living tree than a pile of paper.

Yet another example of how we all walk our own Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well I like them, they are memories, and some places have gone to great lengths to have a sello that stands out, it is their pride and a record that they have touched your life and Camino in some way. It is a chance to speak to the people behind them, to the people whose land we graciously trudge across.

It isn't always what they mean to you that is important.

I enjoy reading all these. Let me take this one step further. I must confess that I love walking on pilgrim paths wherever they are. To me, it's a connection to the past as well as religious experiences. And like pilgrims since time immemorial, I love bringing home mementos. I didn't find it at all odd that in archeological excavations at Jamestown, they discovered jet pendants from the camino. Why would we ever think that all those indentured original settlers were Anglican?

Perhaps my most extreme example of mementos resulted after we finished the Camino Salvador. At the cathedral, while I was not all that taken in by the reliquaries in the Santa Camara, I couldn't take my eyes off the statues on the wall in the anteroom, especially the statue of James and John. When we went to receive our Salvadorana, I noticed that they had a small version of the sculpture. I bought it and carried it in my backpack all the way to Santiago on the Camino Primitivo, which we started the next day. Somehow I felt an even stronger bond with peregrinos who had walked over the centuries.

When I got home, I couldn't help but admiring it and how it brought back memories of this wonderful dual pilgrimage route, the Salvador and the Primitivo. The statue now hangs prominently on the wall in our dining room. I love looking at it and it always draws conversation, allowing me not only to reminisce but to talk to those who have not walked a camino about this very special experience.

Attachments

• James and John, Oviedo Cathedral.jpg
    James and John, Oviedo Cathedral.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
I enjoy reading all these. Let me take this one step further. I must confess that I love walking on pilgrim paths wherever they are. To me, it's a connection to the past as well as religious experiences. And like pilgrims since time immemorial, I love bringing home mementos. I didn't find it at all odd that in archeological excavations at Jamestown, they discovered jet pendants from the camino. Why would we ever think that all those indentured original settlers were Anglican?

Perhaps my most extreme example of mementos resulted after we finished the Camino Salvador. At the cathedral, while I was not all that taken in by the reliquaries in the Santa Camara, I couldn't take my eyes off the statues on the wall in the anteroom, especially the statue of James and John. When we went to receive our Salvadorana, I noticed that they had a small version of the sculpture. I bought it and carried it in my backpack all the way to Santiago on the Camino Primitivo, which we started the next day. Somehow I felt an even stronger bond with peregrinos who had walked over the centuries.

When I got home, I couldn't help but admiring it and how it brought back memories of this wonderful dual pilgrimage route, the Salvador and the Primitivo. The statue now hangs prominently on the wall in our dining room. I love looking at it and it always draws conversation, allowing me not only to reminisce but to talk to those who have not walked a camino about this very special experience.
What a great souvenir; and as you carried it along the Primitivo perhaps it’s a lesson to those who agonise as to whether they should pack two pairs of underpants or three.

There’s more to a Camino than obsessing about trivia.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On our first camino, we enjoyed getting stamps, but it was not an obsession. Then we met Taddeus, a larger than life Polish peregrino who wore a fur coat despite the heat and had a massive photo of John Paul II hanging in front of him in a heavy, wood frame. He was a fast walker, but we always caught up with him because he had to check everywhere for a sello. We chuckled, but on our second camino, we started to pay more attention to sellos and my wife accused me of "sello madness" for spending hours in the cathedral in Zaragosa chasing down what I had been told is one of the hardest sellos to score. I got it, although I had to listen to a 20 minute homily from the priest before he would stamp my Camino Ignaziano credencial.

While my case of "searching for sellos" does not reach obsession, I'm wondering if others suffer from this or know those who do. There must a medical term for this not-so-fatal attraction.

I must confess that as one who has walked a number of camino paths, I also can't resist getting a local credencial for each one. Some are truly beautiful, works of art.

And then there is compostella obsession. I refer to all certificates, not just THE compostella. My three favorites are the Salvadorana, obtained at the cathedral at the end of the Camino Salvador, the certificate in Manresa at the end of the long Camino Ignaciano and the certificate we received from the church of San Francesco in SdC during the 800th anniversary year commemorating the camino St. Francis performed.

I know I'm not alone. C'mon, confess. Are you obsessed, attracted, disinterested? If you are at least attracted, what are your favorites?
I have potted a Fisterra from Finnistere, a Muxianna from Muxia, Pedronia from Padron and a lovely certificate from the Church of St Francis in Santiago. As regards the credencial sello my fave is a wax impression with coloured ribbons from Padron, beautiful.
The certificate and sello thing It is probable an obsession or an addiction of some kind but I am not sure of the clinical diagnosis.....perhaps, Collectisism, Sellolitus. Compostelania...?,

I have enjoyed collecting sellos from my Caminos, especially on my earlier ones when I was staying exclusively in albergues. I find some of the more unusual ones nearly a work of art and very special. That said, I never bothered to collect more than two per day.
Unfortunately, staying most often now in private lodgings, the sellos I collect in my credentials are usually more generic and soulless; not much different than a return address stamp.
I do have two compostelas and one distance certificate and stopped collecting those quite a few years ago.

Not a new condition, apparently:
the manufacture and sale of pilgrimage badges and souvenirs .... constituted an important industry in the medieval period. Pilgrimage badges had several functions: they were proof of the completion of the arduous journey, they provided safe passage on the return trip, and they became holy objects in themselves when the custodian of a shrine touched them to the saint’s statue or relics.
This is referring to the 13th century. It is from The Medieval Pilgrimage Business
by ADRIAN R. BELL, RICHARD S. DALE, published OUP. Downloaded from https://www.cambridge.org/core

The paper goes on to describe various disputes over the right to sell these items, usually between the local church authorities and tradespeople.

I call it 'Sellomania." It fits.

Sometimes, at the Pilgrim Office, we sometimes see several / multiple credencials attached to one another like an accordion bellows. It is a huge piece of origami, if you unfold it all. Quite humorous actually.

But, I respect this form of souvenir gathering, as each sello usually has a story behind it. For the pilgrim, they also form the outline of long-term memories, as each sello tells a story.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The guy in the Pilgrim Office unfolded my credencialES and smiled and said, “tienes muchos sellos!” 🤦🏼‍♀️ Yep! I remember each one: the bar owner who gave me a free coffee, the chatty old lady who talked my ear off for over half an hour with stories about the tiny town, the kind Venezuelan handing out candles in the church, the sweet Colombians in the forest, that one guy playing a flute in the middle of nowhere, that cool Mexican restaurant in O Pino… I too have “sellomanía”!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Delightful terms...all of them. Sellophilia for the medical condition, selloitis, a sorta homonym for those who walk the camino to remind them of the cellulite they lost, sellomania, with an accent on the i, to describe the psychology behind this phenomenon, and sellotrophy for those who value those sellos more than the trophies they earned in an activity when they were a kid which they never bothered to take from their parents' house. Did I miss any?

I am loving this thread! Partly because I like hearing of all the reasons and stories, and partly because I enjoy humor! The various "made up names" for the obsession of collecting sellos has given me a good laugh.😂

I think the medical term may be sellotrophy in the early stages, followed by the sellotaped condition when you are totally bound up with it☺️
I think you may have conflated the Spanish word for "stamp" - SELLO, with cellophane tape. The latter is commonly marketed and referred to as "Scotch Tape," as the international leader in marketing this ubiquitous product is the 3M Company. Their logo is a Scotch plaid.

According to Dr. Google, "sellotrophy" is not an English word. Interesting point you make though.

My original choice of words is based on combining the Spanish term "Sello" with the generic medical term (in English), mania, describing someone who approaches some activity in a manic or highly animated state.

Ironically, the Spanish word for mania is "manía." The only difference in spelling being the addition of the accent over the "í." So, technically, the correct phrase, in Spanish, to describe someone who collects multiple sellos in a manic manner would be "sellomanía."

It means the exact same thing in Spanish as it does in English. There lies the irony. I accidentally coined a good choice for the condition or behavior we are discussing. Go figure!

All said, I rather doubt the Spanish Institute in Madrid would bless this. Whatever, it works for Camino purposes.

I hope this helps the dialog.

Tom

Two days after I sleep in a village I forget its name because I am thinking about the next cerveza, shower and bed. The sellos are a great record of where I was. I treasure them. I don't always ask for a Compostela in Santiago. I am not religious but I particularly like to get a sello at the cathedral in the city or town in which I start a Camino. Seems appropriate and respectful of the pilgrimage. And other cathedrals and churches that are open. Buen CaminoIMG_4191.jpg

Last edited:
I think you may have conflated the Spanish word for "stamp" - SELLO, with cellophane tape. The latter is commonly marketed and referred to as "Scotch Tape," as the international leader in marketing this ubiquitous product is the 3M Company. Their logo is a Scotch plaid.

According to Dr. Google, "sellotrophy" is not an English word. Interesting point you make though.

My original choice of words is based on combining the Spanish term "Sello" with the generic medical term (in English), mania, describing someone who approaches some activity in a manic or highly animated state.

Ironically, the Spanish word for mania is "manía." The only difference in spelling being the addition of the accent over the "í." So, technically, the correct phrase, in Spanish, to describe someone who collects multiple sellos in a manic manner would be "sellomanía."

It means the exact same thing in Spanish as it does in English. There lies the irony. I accidentally coined a good choice for the condition or behavior we are discussing. Go figure!

All said, I rather doubt the Spanish Institute in Madrid would bless this. Whatever, it works for Camino purposes.

Tom
Yea Tom, but he was doing word play humour!! 😂 you Americans!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Stamp Tramp: One who shamelessly solicits sellos

I met a lady who had 4 credencials both sides full by the time she got to Santiago. My one credencial was not full by the time I finished

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I vote for the SELLOITIS

I am hopelessly and unashamedly addicted to the SELLOS and vote for the SELLOLITIS suggestion. Last May through mid-July, on the Camino Francés, I completely filled SEVEN of the SJPP credentials (70+ squares each) and had to get one of the much smaller Spanish ones in order to keep up the pace at the end. On a previous Camino, I had an entire SJPP credential unused, so I spent a day running around Santiago getting random stamps from albergues, hotels, churches, bars, restaurants, etc., and I completely filled IT as well.

My obsession WITHIN the obsession was to go to any open post office I could find, buy a picturesque postage stamp, Camino related if possible, paste it in my credential, and get it postmarked with the name of the city or town, as well as the date. Unfortunately, many of the smaller cities had very limited hours (a couple of hours) and, on weekends, of course, ALL post offices were closed. So, I missed many opportunities.

Here are some of my treasures….,,IMG_0682.jpegIMG_0681.jpegIMG_0680.jpegIMG_0679.jpegIMG_0678.jpegIMG_0677.jpegIMG_0676.jpegIMG_0675.jpegIMG_0674.jpegIMG_0673.jpeg

And here are five more…..IMG_0672.jpegIMG_0671.jpegIMG_0669.jpegIMG_0668.jpeg

IMG_0670.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow! Those are so cool. For anyone who has walked the Primitivo, that stamp in particular is a wonderful memento. In walking the Podiensis last September/October, we were disappointed that sellolitis cannot be satiated. It was not easy on a number of stages to get two stamps....not churches, not bars and many mairies had very limited hours. The stamps we did get, however, were truly lovely and always make us smile when we see them, bringing back a flood of memories on an unforgettable camino.

I may backtrack slightly on my earlier post about my lack of interest in sellos. When I found the diary of my first Camino a few months ago I also found the credencial from that trip. Which included a sello from the legendary Bar Chonina in Rabanal. I nicked part of it to use as my avatar on Facebook. :)

IMG_20240119_091206~4.jpg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yup! I did not develop a sense of humor until my late teens. Until then, everything was serious. While I am still overly sober and serious, I do have a well-rounded sense of humor - including the high (& dry) form of humor evinced in the British Isles.

Thanks for understanding.

Tom

Yea Tom, but he was doing word play humour!! 😂 you Americans!
Well at some point (last year IIRC it was) I said\typed "CELLO". That resulted in couple of interesting responses :rolleyes:😁
(YUP Us Americans - people who know that there is no 2nd "u" in humor ;))

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well at some point (last year IIRC it was) I said\typed "CELLO". That resulted in couple of interesting responses :rolleyes:😁
(YUP Us Americans - people who know that there is no 2nd "u" in humor ;))

True, and you folk can't spell aluminium either (or properly pronounce herb) 😂 😂

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
While my case of "searching for sellos" does not reach obsession, I'm wondering if others suffer from this or know those who do.
I got a sello from every bar and albergue I visited. And from a few shops and tourist offices. But I put them in my diary instead of a credencial. I do that when off the Camino as well, though not quite every one, just ones that have a stamp or sticker available, are worth writing a comment about, and haven’t already been “remembered."

I sympathise. My mother once told me that I was born aged 40 and carried on ageing from there.
I once took a quiz asking me for the names of things in various drawings. Afterward, I was told it was intended to estimate my age by what I called things. The estimate wasa 54—when I was sixteen years old!

The sellos on my credential are the tangible record of my journey; they mean nothing to my family or anyone else i know!!!!!
But to me they are priceless; they confirm i did it not dream it :)
Mind you in my younger days i used to collect Cello's we had to move house 🤣
I agree! My credentials are a wonderful walk down memory lane!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I vote for the SELLOITIS

I am hopelessly and unashamedly addicted to the SELLOS and vote for the SELLOLITIS suggestion. Last May through mid-July, on the Camino Francés, I completely filled SEVEN of the SJPP credentials (70+ squares each) and had to get one of the much smaller Spanish ones in order to keep up the pace at the end. On a previous Camino, I had an entire SJPP credential unused, so I spent a day running around Santiago getting random stamps from albergues, hotels, churches, bars, restaurants, etc., and I completely filled IT as well.

My obsession WITHIN the obsession was to go to any open post office I could find, buy a picturesque postage stamp, Camino related if possible, paste it in my credential, and get it postmarked with the name of the city or town, as well as the date. Unfortunately, many of the smaller cities had very limited hours (a couple of hours) and, on weekends, of course, ALL post offices were closed. So, I missed many opportunities.

Here are some of my treasures….,,View attachment 163521View attachment 163522View attachment 163523View attachment 163524View attachment 163525View attachment 163526View attachment 163527View attachment 163528View attachment 163529View attachment 163530
Now this is the real deal! double trouble! I love it, what a wonderful way of adding some colour to an already amazing book of history and recollection. Thank you for a great idea!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.