• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Older Couple 1st Time. Need Advice

temecularevev

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept. 2024
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK. Comfortable with handling logistics, but not opposed to getting commercial planning assistance.

Advice please:
1. We prefer accommodations with private room with bathroom.
2. Should accommodations include breakfast and dinner?
3. Suggestions on the route (daily goal of start town to end town).
4. Should we hire a planner to make all lodging arrangements and transfer luggage. (any suggestions who?)
5. Should we hire a tour company to handle everything? (any suggestions who?)
6, Should we make all our own arrangements via the web or?
7. Any general thoughts, advice or suggestions and what posts to look at on this forum.

Thank you Craig and Karin

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have a look on this website. Imo you don’t need anyone to do it for you, no planner or tour company. But that’s just my opinion 😉
Tell us if you have any questions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
1. We prefer accommodations with private room with bathroom. - That's fine. Use Gronze.com and other planning apps and tools. [Edited to correct reference to starting point...] If you were starting from SJPP in mid-September, I would say to make reservations up to Pamplona. Since you are starting in Sarria, and seem to be want a "planned" walk, you will likely want to pre-book your reservations, but I would encourage you to be realistic in how far you want to walk each day. Only you can know what that distance might be.
2. Should accommodations include breakfast and dinner? - Breakfast maybe, but then you will miss the adventure of trying to find an open bar for coffee, before you start walking! Definitely don't include dinner, since you will most likely want to make your own decision on the day. You might even want to join other people for dinner.
3. Suggestions on the route (daily goal of start town to end town). - You set your goal with your comfortable distance. Use one of the planning tools to know what your options are.
4. Should we hire a planner to make all lodging arrangements and transfer luggage. (any suggestions who?) - If you have money to spare and don't want to be in control yourself. Are you saying that you have decided definitely to use luggage transfer? Many people in their 70s still pack light enough to carry their own. I say this not to be "judgemental" but because sometimes I think people forget that this is still an option and something that many people of all ages still do.
5. Should we hire a tour company to handle everything? (any suggestions who?) - There is no "should" about this. How do you prefer to travel?
6, Should we make all our own arrangements via the web or? - Again it is your choice - there is no "should." I am older than you and would always make my own arrangements, but that is the way I like to do things.
7. Any general thoughts, advice or suggestions and what posts to look at on this forum. - My general thought is that it depends very much on what you are looking for, and what style of travel/life you like. If you are looking for a slightly gritty but safe and interesting adventure, join the independent crowd. If you prefer a structured experience where all you need to do is walk from pre-designated point A to B each day, and eat the pre-arranged meals, then hiring a company might make more sense.

For threads to address some of your questions, you might start with the Frequently Asked Questions here. Those questions include the following, which you should find useful:

Last edited:
1. Not a problem. I recommend not booking the whole trip until you know how far you can walk.
2. I would not include breakfast or dinner. Breakfast in Spain is just usually a bunch of carbs and maybe coffee. Get some snacks and walk to the first cafe for at least a Spanish tortilla of egg and potatoes.
3. Here's my route for a university group earlier this year to ease them into the walk:
Sarria to Ferrieros 8 miles first day. Supper at Mirallos.
Ferreiros to Portomaron 5.8 miles many places for supper.
Portomarin to Hospital de Cruz 7.2 miles. Restaurant nearby. (Visit Iron Age Village above Castromairor)
Hospital to Palas de Rei 8.3 miles (things to see Vila de Donar is a national historic site a detour off the route and Pembre Castle which is a quick cab ride from Palas or you can get a cab back from Melide)
Palas to Melide 9 miles. Try the pulpo here (octopus) as it is cheaper than in other later towns.
Melide to Arzua ( be sure to try the cheese here. Award winning).
Arzua to either St Irene or O Pedruzo 10 or 12 miles.
O Pedruzo to Santiago 12 miles from O Pedrouzo.
4. We always make our own arrangements, but if you don't want to bother and have the cash , do what you want. We are 62 and 73 and have no issues. We don't usually transfer luggage, but my husband needed to last midway, and it was not a problem except we had to reserve ahead, and we normally don't do that. Normally, we just walk as far as we want daily. When transferring luggage, you need to make a reservation so you can send luggage ahead. It was not a problem to reserve ahead daily.
5.Not needed
6. We always make our own arrangements.
7. The Camino is a wonderful experience. We started walking in 2016. Now we go back and volunteer every year and also walk. You will love it.

Last edited:
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK. Comfortable with handling logistics, but not opposed to getting commercial planning assistance.

Advice please:
1. We prefer accommodations with private room with bathroom.
2. Should accommodations include breakfast and dinner?
3. Suggestions on the route (daily goal of start town to end town).
4. Should we hire a planner to make all lodging arrangements and transfer luggage. (any suggestions who?)
5. Should we hire a tour company to handle everything? (any suggestions who?)
6, Should we make all our own arrangements via the web or?
7. Any general thoughts, advice or suggestions and what posts to look at on this forum.

Thank you Craig and Karin

Where do you plan to start your Camino?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have a look on this website. Imo you don’t need anyone to do it for you, no planner or tour company. But that’s just my opinion 😉
Tell us if you have any questions.
Is there an English version of Gronze.com? I couldn't find a conversion button on the site.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
1. Not a problem. I recommend not booking the whole trip until you know how far you can walk.
2. I would not include breakfast or dinner. Breakfast in Spain is just usually a bunch of carbs and maybe coffee. Get some snacks and walk to the first cafe for at least a Spanish tortilla of egg and potatoes.
3. Here's my route for a university group earlier this year to ease them into the walk:
Sarria to Ferrieros 8 miles first day. Supper at Mirallos.
Ferreiros to Portomaron 5.8 miles many places for supper.
Portomarin to Hospital de Cruz 7.2 miles. Restaurant nearby. (Visit Iron Age Village above Castromairor)
Hospital to Palas de Rei 8.3 miles (things to see Vila de Donar is a national historic site a detour off the route and Pembre Castle which is a quick cab ride from Palas or you can get a cab back from Melide)
Palas to Melide 9 miles. Try the pulpo here (octopus) as it is cheaper than in other later towns.
Melide to Arzua ( be sure to try the cheese here. Award winning).
Arzua to either St Irene or O Pedruzo 10 or 12 miles.
O Pedruzo to Santiago 12 miles from O Pedrouzo.
4. We always make our own arrangements, but if you don't want to bother and have the cash , do what you want. We are 62 and 73 and have no issues. We don't usually transfer luggage, but my husband needed to last midway, and it was not a problem except we had to reserve ahead, and we normally don't do that. Normally, we just walk as far as we want daily. When transferring luggage, you need to make a reservation so you can send luggage ahead. It was not a problem to reserve ahead daily.
5.Not needed
6. We always make our own arrangements.
7. The Camino is a wonderful experience. We started walking in 2016. Now we go back and volunteer every year and also walk. You will love it.
Thank you. I really appreciate your taking the time to reply with such a detailed response. Thank you also for the suggested daily itinerary. I'm feeling more confident that we can put together our own trip/schedule.
Craig

Consider wearing the N95 mask when you are at the airport, during the flight, and when using public transportation. Avoid getting sick due to respiratory infection before commencing the walk.

Is there an English version of Gronze.com? I couldn't find a conversion button on the site.
As mentioned earlier the Chrome browser will notice that the webpage you are visiting may need translation and ask if you want the translation. Very helpful but many people do not trust Google and so don't want to use Chrome. Other browsers will translate for you also but don't offer; you have to use the browser's main pulldown menu and select Translate from there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As mentioned earlier the Chrome browser will notice that the webpage you are visiting may need translation and ask if you want the translation. Very helpful but many people do not trust Google and so don't want to use Chrome. Other browsers will translate for you also but don't offer; you have to use the browser's main pulldown menu and select Translate from there.
With Edge, you can right click for the menu.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.