A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Oldest churches on the Portuguese Way

Clark

Camino(s) past & future
Planning to hike the Portuguese Way from Porto to Santiago in May 2018
I've been looking online for information on the churches and monuments along the Portuguese Way but can't find much. Does anyone have anyone information, apart from Brierley's guide on old churches or monuments on this stretch of the Camino?

Clark

JCLima

Camino(s) past & future
I've been looking online for information on the churches and monuments along the Portuguese Way but can't find much. Does anyone have anyone information, apart from Brierley's guide on old churches or monuments on this stretch of the Camino?

Clark
Where are u starting? Lisbon? Porto?

amorfati1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2014_Caminho Portuguese (Lisboa to Santiago_4 weeks in May)
churches are plenty - finding them OPEN is another question.

Sao Pedro de Rates (before Barcelos) -
also liked the church of the monastery/alberghe of the Saint/Queen Isabel - near Coimbra.
As i recall - the only church without a cross, but with the statue of the saint instead. believe she's buried there as well. - one can also take a tour of the church/monastery. which i did and quite enjoyed.

would also suggest when you are in Lisboa and/or Porto - go to the catedrale Se' (meaning: it's the bishops seat)
and ask someone there at the bookshop/info about churches / guides.... if you like to find out about 'old' churches. (haven't seen that many new ones 'round anyway)

bom caminho!

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
You might consider asking @peregrina2000. She will know.:)

And Edit...(Warning, Laurie, you may not want to open this!;)) I just found this very good map:
http://www.rotadoromanico.com/vEN/Gale Laurieria/Maps/Maps/Map_RR.pdf
It's tangential to the Camino from Porto, but shows a LOT of old churches in Northern Portugal!

Last edited:

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
We walked from Porto in November and our last night before Santiago was spent in Iria Flavia. It's an unassuming little place with a big history. The guy in our albergue gave us a full history lesson... there is even a little certificate you can get (we didn't get one but I wish we had).

https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/18/st-james/

The steeples at Iria are unusual and there are similar steeples on Santiago Cathedral... you see them really well on the Rooftop tour and the guide explained the influences.

http://terrasdeiria.com/en/item/iglesia-de-santa-maria-la-mayor-de-iria-flavia-antigua-colegiata/

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Convento de Cristo in Tomar, just up the hill. Also in Tomar the synagogue/museum one of the two ancient synagogues remaining in all of Portugal.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Convento de Cristo in Tomar, just up the hill. Also in Tomar the synagogue/museum one of the two ancient synagogues remaining in all of Portugal.

WalkingJane

Camino(s) past & future
May and October 2015
(2015 October)
June 2018 Portuguese
Braga, north of Porto and off the Camino route, is a pilgrimage site for Portuguese. There are many cathedrals in the city, and up north of the city is Bom Jesus, which is accessed by a small train, or many! steps. Some pilgrims go up on their knees. There are some celtic ruins out east of the city.
Fatima, north of of Lisbon, west and a bit north of Tomar, is another pilgrimage site for Portuguese.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Tove Sørum Camino Portugues 14
Jakke Camino Portugues 46
OLDER threads on this topic
Dressing for churches
Hello, churches!

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 323 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 369 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 11.9%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock